Inexpensive top off system

OgreMkV

Hi, I decided to go ahead and get back into saltwater. I'd like to set-up an auto-top off system. I'm hoping that some of you know where I can find an inexpensive float switch that can turn on a pump connected to a RO water reservoir.

Any thoughts?

Crap, I misread the topic. Not an emergency. Mod, please move... thanks.

Edited by OgreMkV

auto top of does make one that works well and you can get the one that has 2 switch to be on the safe side. It is a home made kit you can tell when you get it. Its not like the ones made by the big mane brand companies, but it works very well and is priced right.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have the ATO from autotopoff. I've noticed twice in the last week that my tank level has dropped without being topped off. The reservoir is full, the aqualifter is humming when i touch it, just no water coming out of the line. Obviously the float switch is on or the pump wouldn't be trying to run.

Anyone have a guess what's going on?

Not to hijack the thread, but I have the ATO from autotopoff. I've noticed twice in the last week that my tank level has dropped without being topped off. The reservoir is full, the aqualifter is humming when i touch it, just no water coming out of the line. Obviously the float switch is on or the pump wouldn't be trying to run.

Anyone have a guess what's going on?

Sounds like the aqualifter might be clogged or dead such that it runs the pump, but no pumping action is produced.

Any pros and cons to pump vs gravity feed?

If you have the space, gravity feeding is a perfectly good option.

Pros:

-No Pump

Cons:

-If the solenoid gets stuck (not a problem if it is normally closed design) the bucket would empty into your tank

-Must be placed above the tank/sump

Here are a few pictures of my setup. This is from auto top off .com and has worked great for about a year. Keeps the water level dead on.

Here is my water reservoir and pump...

DSC01616.jpg

Here are the float switches...

DSC01617.jpg

The only thing I do is clean the switches a few times a year. So far, this has not failed me once (knock on wood).

James

keeps your Top off pump from free running. You can mount the other sensor in the sump as a "high" sensor that will cut off if the sump gets too full, or you can put it in your top off reservoir so that when it runs down too low, it stops the pump