ATO resevoir

joshman1204

I just got my ATO unit from autotopoff.com and couldnt be happier with how easy it went together. Now I need something to store the water and pump in. This is just for a 24g aquapod but the only problem is the stand is the very small pedestal stand so it cant go inside the stand and the tank is in the living room so it needs to look decent. Anyone have any ideas? For now I just heated the neck of a 5 gallon water container so I could stretch it and put the pump in the container.

I have a 2gallon square jug that I got for about $3 from the R/O water section at Walmart. I put a hole in the lid and run a piece of tube from it to my aqualifter, then the other tube from the lifter to the tank. In my 29g I loose about 1g a day, so I have to refill it every 2-3 days, but it is small, easy to hide, and easy to refill.

I use one of those apprx. 3 gallon cat litter buckets. They work great for me as they have a hinged lid, so you can refill without disturbing your tubing/pump. Mine is not concealed but a painted .rectangular box should be pretty easy to construct.

Bill

Ric, You are welcome just about anytime my friend - except this weekend. I will be out both Sat and Sun helping with the Austin Pond Society pond tour. Mine was reaaally easy and cheap to make. I believe the float switch was $6 or so, the moldable 'hanger' $3, 5' of 5/8" tubing $1.50?, one short extension cord $1 (already on hand), a $5 garage sale pump (already on hand), and the litter container(already on hand). I think postage was $5 or $6, so I bought 2 'sets' at the same postage.

I DO NOT use a relay or any fancy 2nd switches. Using the 3 gallon container I am confident if the switch were to stick even on the first try I would barely overflow, if at all. The litter container is rectangular so tucks away more easily. I don't mind filling it about every 3rd day and my skimmer (your ex skimmer) works sooooooo much better. It seems to me there are at least two major truths that do not get mentioned often enough. 1) Zoa's can be hazardous to your health, fraggers beware. and 2) Most/many skimmers will not really work unless you have an ATO.

Bill

Ric, You are welcome just about anytime my friend - except this weekend. I will be out both Sat and Sun helping with the Austin Pond Society pond tour. Mine was reaaally easy and cheap to make. I believe the float switch was $6 or so, the moldable 'hanger' $3, 5' of 5/8" tubing $1.50?, one short extension cord $1 (already on hand), a $5 garage sale pump (already on hand), and the litter container(already on hand). I think postage was $5 or $6, so I bought 2 'sets' at the same postage.

I DO NOT use a relay or any fancy 2nd switches. Using the 3 gallon container I am confident if the switch were to stick even on the first try I would barely overflow, if at all. The litter container is rectangular so tucks away more easily. I don't mind filling it about every 3rd day and my skimmer (your ex skimmer) works sooooooo much better. It seems to me there are at least two major truths that do not keep mentioned often enough. 1) Zoa's can be hazardous to your health, fraggers beware. and 2) Most/many skimmers will not really work unless you have an ATO.

Bill

I'll get back with you Monday and maybe we can get together one day next week. Thanks!

• Like 1

I DO NOT use a relay or any fancy 2nd switches. Using the 3 gallon container I am confident if the switch were to stick even on the first try I would barely overflow, if at all. The litter container is rectangular so tucks away more easily. I don't mind filling it about every 3rd day and my skimmer (your ex skimmer) works sooooooo much better. It seems to me there are at least two major truths that do not keep mentioned often enough. 1) Zoa's can be hazardous to your health, fraggers beware. and 2) Most/many skimmers will not really work unless you have an ATO.

Bill

I never knew how true the skimmer deal was. I have never been real happy with my skimmer until I just added the ATO system. I cannot believe how much better the skimmer operates now!

I have never been happy with any of the skimmers I have had either. I have been through about half a dozen of them. I sold one to Bill as a matter of fact. All I ever get is a light green liquid. I have never gotten the thick smelly stuff people here talk about. OK I will go with an ATO if I can figure out a cheap enough one. I am going to see Bill's one evening next week and I will duplicate his if possible.