Disaster...

Brooks

I left for a friends house yesterday. I got back today to find my tank at 102 degrees. My parents turned on all of the lights and didn't turn the fans on with them. Just about everything is dead except for a zoa frag and 2 sps pieces... good thing I leave in 1 day for a 9 day trip to the Bahamas and my parents are in charge of the tank...

-Brooks

Man that stinks. It might be worth trying to keep your tank on a schedule though. Some corals can be pretty tough. I bought/rescued 3 corals from a guy who flea bombed his apt. His tank looked crazy and so did the corals. The corals looked horrible when I got them but 2 of the 3 are looking great now. The one that didn't make it I put on myself though. It was a chili coral on a huge rock that I had to set up a separate tank for and neglected.

Sorry for the long story, just wanted to say there is always hope. Also, I can give you a frag or two when you get back.

Nothing worse than losing a prized reef tank. Been there done that AND have the T-shirt to prove it. On the flip side you'll have a fresh start. Fellow reefers are always willing to lend a helping hand in a time of need. When you're ready, let me know and I'll help re-populate that awesome reef you have going there. Of course you'll have to get a controller first, and make sure you learn from your mistakes. My advice to you is dip every coral you get from your fellow ARC'ers. I've been burned in the past but learned from my mistakes. Keep you're chin up and have fun relaxing on the beach. Don't forget to wear sun-screen.

Edited by fishypets

Nothing worse than losing a prized reef tank. Been there done that AND have the T-shirt to prove it. On the flip side you'll have a fresh start. Fellow reefers are always willing to lend a helping hand in a time of need. When you're ready, let me know and I'll help re-populate that awesome reef you have going there. Of course you'll have to get a controller first, and make sure you learn from your mistakes. My advice to you is dip every coral you get from your fellow ARC'ers. I've been burned in the past but learned from my mistakes. Keep you're chin up and have fun relaxing on the beach. Don't forget to wear sun-screen.

I second the dipping everything. I've seen some pretty nasty things from some of my recent dips. I would use this as a great time minimize pests you have in your tank and make sure you don't get new ones.

should we have a memorial get together for Brook's tank? It was looking really nice!

Yes! A 'fund' raiser where the funds are corals! Great idea Mark!

Let us know when you get back and are ready Brooks.

(Enjoy the Bahamas. We went 3 years ago and loved it, except the high prices. Definitely check out Atlantis; their ginormous tank is worth seeing just to see giant groupers!)

I'm so sorry to hear about this.. truly every reefer's worst nightmare. If it would help, I have two or three spare timers you can have.. you can put the lights/fans on them to automate them until you can get a controller.. just let me know.

Ditto what everyone else said, but now you can enjoy your trip and think about all the new goodies you'll get when you're back. You are leaving it running while you're gone?

Sorry to hear about this, Brooks. We, too, would be willing to give you some frags of zoanthids when you are ready to repopulate. We have experienced a tank crash and it is very hard to go through. All the members are great people and you'll be surprised how fast you will get back to where you were before. Have fun on your trip and pm us when you get back in town.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I just got back from the Bahamas a few hours ago. To my surprise, I came back to a tank full of healing SPS. They've all regained their brown zooxanthellae and hopefully they'll continue to improve.

-Brooks

Great news! Your trip probably saved them. I know if I'd been home I would have been fussing with them daily and probably finished them off. Really glad to hear that you have some survivors. Now hopefully your trip went well. :)