Jump to content

List yours: Smallest break::Biggest PITA


BobcatReefer
 Share

Recommended Posts

What's the littlest or cheapest break/failure that has caused the biggest pain in your ares or most expensive fix?

Friday afternoon, I caught a glimpse of some standing water on the backside of my tank.  Found a tiny leak coming from my HOB.  After uncoupling the box from the plumbing, the bulkhead leaving the bottom of the box was broken - my guess is from me wiggling the standpipe back and forth to get it out every now and then.

This is probably a $3 part, if I can find one (have an email in to Eshopps, so hopefully I hear back on Monday morning).  If not, it's an $80 replacement, plus another $20+ in plumbing.  And more like $150 total if I upgraded to what I really should have on there and plumbed it up correctly.

But the price really isn't the biggest pita:  The other overflow can't handle the flow on it's own, even w/ my return pump cranked down as far as possible.  That means I have to manually go over to the tank and plug in my return to get display>sump flow going, watch/wait for the water to come up to the display rim, and then unplug the return.  Rinse/repeat.  

There have to be some that will beat that, and misery loves company, so please trump my broken $3 part!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years ago I began to see a decline in the aquarium and increased water changes to correct the problem. I checked the TDS meter on my RODI unit and it read 0 ppm, so I thought it was safe. I lost 99% of my livestock over 6-8 months and in the end found out that the TDS meter was somehow stuck on 0 or not working. The few corals that survived had to be chopped down to frags again. A $5.99 part cost me nearly all of my livestock and three years of growth. Complacency can cost a lot...

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a failure of equipment but of brain power. This one is besides the many ones of  leaving something on that overflows and floods the floor. I spent a good part of an hour trying to figure out why a new EB8 would not show up on my Apex. Come to find out, Apex pre labels the outlets with names. It was there the whole time, I just didnt notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ckyuv said:

I put a cheap plastic splitter on the water hookup behind the washer to T my ro/di to the faucet. The thing broke off one day while I was at work and led to a $19k remodel of the flooded downstairs 

holy mackerel!!!!  So sorry to hear that!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, Christyef said:
On 9/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, ckyuv said:

I put a cheap plastic splitter on the water hookup behind the washer to T my ro/di to the faucet. The thing broke off one day while I was at work and led to a $19k remodel of the flooded downstairs 

This happen to me, it was alum and after a while couldn't handle the pressure, water was running out the front door. good thing i had tile in the entire downstairs. wow it was bad. i blamed it on  the toilet fill line  insurance took care of it, but not really much damage believe it or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...