Next fish purchase - looking at Anthias

Sierra Bravo

Late to the party as usual.

Kinda funny there Ty.  You name your acros but aren't sure what species of fish you have.

There are many good anthias, it's a matter of $ and what your willing to spend.  I would put semi aggressive anthias in you tank and stay away from the passive ones.  Purples and mystery wrasse have been know to pick on passive fish.  I would stay away from the pictills and ventrillis for what they cost.  Here would be my choices in order.  

1). Carberryi, 2).Bartlett, 3).bimac 4).squares

14 minutes ago, Reburn said:

Late to the party as usual.

Kinda funny there Ty.  You name your acros but aren't sure what species of fish you have.

There are many good anthias, it's a matter of $ and what your willing to spend.  I would put semi aggressive anthias in you tank and stay away from the passive ones.  Purples and mystery wrasse have been know to pick on passive fish.  I would stay away from the pictills and ventrillis for what they cost.  Here would be my choices in order.  

1). Carberryi, 2).Bartlett, 3).bimac 4).squares

Next one I name I'll name it "slow burn" in honor of you! 😱 Bwahahaha! 

Reburn does know his anthias.

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Next one I name I'll name it "slow burn" in honor of you! 😱 Bwahahaha! 

Reburn does know his anthias.

Jason fox already has a slow burn monti......hahahahaha.  You could buy me one I guess.

thanks for the nod on the anthias.  I do love my anthias and wrasse.  Probably the only guy that sits with 2 of 10 holy grail fish and one very rare trigger and still gets upset over losing a pintail wrasse.  

For what's it's worth I had 5-8 carberryi.  I really liked them.  Ate very well, got used to me quickly and didn't seem fragile.  The only reason I got rid of them is another member here decided he really liked them and took them all.  I just think one day you may come home to find one dead anthias every 3 days with your other fish if you select passive anthias.  Plus the mystery and purple, clowns can really be jerks and territorial.  Not things anthias like.  Even the ones that do very well can stress very easily.

Anyone have experience with lyretail Anthias?  Unsure about my ability to keep them, I added one to my tank about 3 months ago because she was inexpensive and research suggested they were one of the easier Anthias to keep.

She’s doing great and I’m ready for more.  Should I add more lyretails?  Mix species?  Trade her in for a different species group?  Not much love for lyretails in this thread, wondering if there is a specific reason why.

Stocking list in my 150g:

Yellow tang

Kole tang 

Coral beauty dwarf angel

Filefish

Invincible ocellaris clown

Klein’s butterfly

Lyretail anthias

Now that I write it down that stocking list looks pretty weak.  Probably why I struggle keeping my nitrates at detectable levels.  That being said I have lots of runway for increased feeding.

1 hour ago, Reburn said:

Jason fox already has a slow burn monti......hahahahaha.  You could buy me one I guess.

thanks for the nod on the anthias.  I do love my anthias and wrasse.  Probably the only guy that sits with 2 of 10 holy grail fish and one very rare trigger and still gets upset over losing a pintail wrasse.  

For what's it's worth I had 5-8 carberryi.  I really liked them.  Ate very well, got used to me quickly and didn't seem fragile.  The only reason I got rid of them is another member here decided he really liked them and took them all.  I just think one day you may come home to find one dead anthias every 3 days with your other fish if you select passive anthias.  Plus the mystery and purple, clowns can really be jerks and territorial.  Not things anthias like.  Even the ones that do very well can stress very easily.

I appreciate the advice and input.  The only thing I'm not too keen on with the carberryi is their color, which correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the females are often a shade of orange.   I am more drawn to the ones that are shaded towards pink or magenta hues.  That brings me back to my original and your second choice Bartletts.  Although now that we know what a Bimac actually looks like 😃 - I like those as well.  Squares I think are too large.

8 hours ago, Sierra Bravo said:

I appreciate the advice and input.  The only thing I'm not too keen on with the carberryi is their color, which correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the females are often a shade of orange.   I am more drawn to the ones that are shaded towards pink or magenta hues.  That brings me back to my original and your second choice Bartletts.  Although now that we know what a Bimac actually looks like 😃 - I like those as well.  Squares I think are too large.

Yes the females are a shade of orange, the males are purple and yellow.  I agree squares are probably to large.  The chances the squares will reach 8" if you get them at 3 is slim though.  I know EMF is going to have a smoking hot deal on bimacs and Bartlett at reef currents.  You will have to be there to buy to get the deal though.

8 hours ago, Merman said:

Anyone have experience with lyretail Anthias?  Unsure about my ability to keep them, I added one to my tank about 3 months ago because she was inexpensive and research suggested they were one of the easier Anthias to keep.

She’s doing great and I’m ready for more.  Should I add more lyretails?  Mix species?  Trade her in for a different species group?  Not much love for lyretails in this thread, wondering if there is a specific reason why.

Stocking list in my 150g:

Yellow tang

Kole tang 

Coral beauty dwarf angel

Filefish

Invincible ocellaris clown

Klein’s butterfly

Lyretail anthias

Now that I write it down that stocking list looks pretty weak.  Probably why I struggle keeping my nitrates at detectable levels.  That being said I have lots of runway for increased feeding.

I have African lytaile females and really like them.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with lyretails.  They are very popular and easy to care for.  Some people just would rather not have that much orange.  I personally suggest lyretails to people quite frequently.  Sierra just specifically nixed them out of the gate.

20 hours ago, Good Greef said:

Ty,

I have 5 females on my upcoming stocking list also. They've actually been available from LA on and off for the past few months but my QT was occupied.

Would you say that the LA pick of them is accurate? I've yet to see one in person so I'm hesitant to rely on online pics.

They're in stock today 😊. I'd never considered them before based on the LA picture. If Ty DOES have them, then they look better in person. 

They're in stock today [emoji4]. I'd never considered them before based on the LA picture. If Ty DOES have them, then they look better in person. 
Of course they are. Im only on QT day 5 for my Isoceles Fairy wrasse. My QT was empty for 2 wks and they weren't in stock smh.

43 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

They're in stock today 😊. I'd never considered them before based on the LA picture. If Ty DOES have them, then they look better in person. 

Mine were confirmed bimaculatus, no resplendent.

41 minutes ago, Good Greef said:
43 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:
They're in stock today emoji4.png. I'd never considered them before based on the LA picture. If Ty DOES have them, then they look better in person. 

Of course they are. Im only on QT day 5 for my Isoceles Fairy wrasse. My QT was empty for 2 wks and they weren't in stock smh.

59 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Mine were confirmed bimaculatus, no resplendent.

They look good and they're on sale this week! I also like the Carberryi and Bicolor. I don't have any orange in my tank, so the Bicolor and Ignitis are at the top of my list. The one thing that I don't like about those anthias is that the males are similar to the females. One great thing about Squareback and Lyretail is that the males are so different. 

On 4/20/2018 at 5:38 PM, BobcatReefer said:

They had some purple queens last week as well that were just gorgeous.

Beautiful, but it's one of those fish that's best left in the ocean. Some fish are just too difficult to keep alive in captivity. 

On 4/20/2018 at 5:40 AM, Reburn said:

Yes the females are a shade of orange, the males are purple and yellow.  I agree squares are probably to large.  The chances the squares will reach 8" if you get them at 3 is slim though.  I know EMF is going to have a smoking hot deal on bimacs and Bartlett at reef currents.  You will have to be there to buy to get the deal though.

I have African lytaile females and really like them.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with lyretails.  They are very popular and easy to care for.  Some people just would rather not have that much orange.  I personally suggest lyretails to people quite frequently.  Sierra just specifically nixed them out of the gate.

Thank you so much for your advice!  I appreciate it.  Looking forward to observing their behavior in a group.

I was able to secure four bimacs from Exotic Marine Fish:  One male and three females for less than $25 ea - incredible.  Thank you @Reburn for the tip and pointing me towards Antonio.  I'm going to pick them up this weekend while I'm in Houston for a volleyball tournament. 

13 hours ago, Sierra Bravo said:

I was able to secure four bimacs from Exotic Marine Fish:  One male and three females for less than $25 ea - incredible.  Thank you @Reburn for the tip and pointing me towards Antonio.  I'm going to pick them up this weekend while I'm in Houston for a volleyball tournament. 

I have bought from him couple times before. I got anthias, regal angel and emperor angel from him along with others. Antonio is awesome. Tell him Raj said 👋

The male has not eaten since I received him, unfortunately.  Females are eating everything I throw at them with no problem.  So far I've tried mysis, LRS, Rod's, and oyster eggs.  I have a power head in the tank so there is plenty of movement of the food.  I've tried with the lights dimmed and I've tried being out of sight when I drop the food in.   He's hardly out of his pvc cubbyhole but from what I've seen of him there is no apparent sign of external disease.

I'm buying some live brine tonight on the way home. . . any other ideas?

The male has not eaten since I received him, unfortunately.  Females are eating everything I throw at them with no problem.  So far I've tried mysis, LRS, Rod's, and oyster eggs.  I have a power head in the tank so there is plenty of movement of the food.  I've tried with the lights dimmed and I've tried being out of sight when I drop the food in.   He's hardly out of his pvc cubbyhole but from what I've seen of him there is no apparent sign of external disease.
I'm buying some live brine tonight on the way home. . . any other ideas?
Are you currently medicating with anything? I would just keep trying and hopefully he'll break his hunger strike.

Archived