Proper ways to euthanize animals

mFrame

It might be a bit of a touchy subject, but that's why I think it should be discussed.  

Many times one of our animals reaches the end of its life but doesn't die.  I can't stand to see a creature suffer, but want to responsibly take care of them as humanely as possible.  Early on I had heard to put ailing fish in a bag of water and freeze them, but I have since read and learned that this is apparently a very painful way to go.  I now will take sick fish and sever their spinal cord just behind the head.

My recent capture of a giant 12" bristleworm left me wondering what to do with him.  I didn't want to flush him as I wasn't sure how long he would live in the sewer system, plus the whole invasive species thing.  I also didn't want to just drop him in the trash.  How do/would you get rid of him?

Similarly there are nuisance corals like anthelia, gsp, etc.  In addition to attempting to be humane, these corals can give off a very foul odor if left outside.  How do you dispose of corals and other non-fish marine life? And no, please don't say you list them in the classifieds :P  We're talking about sick or nuisance marine critters.

Personally I have put them in a ziplock and then into the freezer.

For corals this will illiminate smells, at least until the garbage man comes. (I keep it frozen until the trash container goes to the curb.)

For fish or other animals, which I have not ever needed to do, I would have a little tank water in the bag then freeze. They simply shut down/go to sleep. The freezing also stops any odors until you can put the bag in the trash container on garbage day.

It is your choice but you may want to take the fishsicle out the bag when tossing it. At the trash dump, the decaying body or coral actually helps to start the decay of the trash around it.

...my two cents

Yeah, as said this is what I used to do, but subsequent reading has lead me to believe that freezing is a very painful way to go.

As for smells, once an animal is euthanized I have both flushed or frozen in a bag and disposed of it on trash day as you mentioned.

I get the desire to be quick and painless for a fish, but worms are too simple of an organism for me to have any concern over how they go.  A live 12" worm would go in the garbage or disposal and never be thought of again.

I've only had 1 instance where I've had a fish I knew was on his way out and he passed before I could get around to helping him.

depends on what it is... bristleworms inflict pain, kill some coral and fish, and i hate them.  I leave them in a glass until they stop moving, then trash.  Now, if someone wants him before its demise, take it!  they avg 3-5 days like this... bastages.

for fish, they are part of the echo system... your support systems need the extra food sometimes.  this is the cycle of life.   now if its not cleaned off and gone w/in a day, it goes in the trash.

for corals, its more of a rescue effort than a cleanup effort... QT/holding... doesnt make it? dry it out in a baggie w/ some desiccant then calcium reactor.

I think of my tank as an ecosystem, a slice of the wild... not pets.  make it easier mentally for some.  (yes, i stopped trying to flip snails that fell, nothing in nature flips them back over! *cough*reburnquote*cough*)

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, FluxCapacitor said:

I wonder if putting the fish in a fresh water place like the lake is a bad idea?  I'm sure another fish or bird would like the food.... this may be a terrible idea, just spitballing here.

so what you are saying is... its humane to just gas a prisoner w/ nitrogen starving them of oxygen?   yeeeeea, putting a saltwater fish in freshwater is torture.

5 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

What if you just toss it in the backyard the next time you see a raccoon?

if its already dead, we're talking disposal, not so much euthanization right?  I did notice i still had a frozen one in my freezer from moooonths ago... remember when you freeze things on trash day *lol*

On 4/19/2017 at 1:55 PM, Isaac said:

if its already dead, we're talking disposal, not so much euthanization right?  I did notice i still had a frozen one in my freezer from moooonths ago... remember when you freeze things on trash day *lol*

Yeah, I've been lectured by my wife when she goes to the freezer to get something for dinner and jokingly comes out saying, "tonight I think we're having fish".  :fool:

Archived