Octopus tank

Christyef

One more follower. We've been legitimately considering a cuttlefish tank just because they aren't such escape artists, but definitely want to see how this one comes out. Do you know what kind you're going to get. I know RCA had a blue ring a few years ago. That's a level of extreme reefing I'm not sure many would want to deal with though... ;)

One more follower. We've been legitimately considering a cuttlefish tank just because they aren't such escape artists, but definitely want to see how this one comes out. Do you know what kind you're going to get. I know RCA had a blue ring a few years ago. That's a level of extreme reefing I'm not sure many would want to deal with though... [emoji6]

I keep thinking I want cuttlefish...then thinking about their shirt lifespans...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Peter Gott said:

I keep thinking I want cuttlefish...then thinking about their shirt lifespans...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've heard they're fairly easy to breed, but lifespan for the smaller tank appropriate species is very low.

Yeah, I've read several cuttlefish keeper blogs.  They tend to focus on the generational aspect and keeping breeding pairs.  Amazing little creatures.

I'm a bit concerned about a biocube for an octo. How are you going to keep it from moving out of the tank into the back side, and how are you planning to keep it entertained?

Hey, guys. Have been talking a lot w/ the guys from RCA. They successfully kept a dwarf species for about a year. Thing w/ the dwarfs is their short life span and most of the ones captured and brought in are already adolescent and don't have real long to live. I'm going to put Astro turf around the top rim. I've read that they do not like the feel of the Astro turf and won't make the journey across it. RCA said theirs went into the back chamber, was clipped by the return pump, and never returned. I'm still learning all I can and want to have the perfect home for it (maybe 2). Certain species will tolerate each other as long as both have their own den and don't have to compete for food. My major conundrum is lighting. They are super nocturnal and I'd like to have some soft corals for color. If I have to run lunars as my lights, I may have to add synthetic "corals". I've seen them at fish gallery. I've been down the seahorse road and was successful until I had to leave town for work... ready to try something new. I think it will be fascinating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 7 months later...

I got a video of octopus prime, but it won't let me upload a video on Tapatalk. He's still in the back pump chamber and I'm working on feeding him from the end of a 1/4" tube to try to get him to grab ahold of the tube. Then I'll lift him up and over to the safe side and block the back with some block foam. He allows me to stick in my finger w/o running away and has been tasting me with his suckers. I think I'm building trust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archived