Fish food recipes

Sissy36

I want to make my own fish food and I was wondering what y'all put together for your tank. I have some inverts, sps, lps, flame scallop, and a RBTA. I will be getting a clownfish pair soon, hopefully, waiting on the LFS to get some in. So lay 'em on me!

Sent from Sissy's phone

Here's a thread about it from a few years ago.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/29514-making-your-own-reef-food/

In your case, make sure to add things like oyster eggs or cyclops eeze and other foods that the coral and filter feeders benefit from. I posted in the other one, but central market is the best place for small quantities of random seafood. Way cheaper than whole foods, and at least the south location, has a much better selection. With a small tank, you will not need a lot to last a long time. If you end up with a pound total, it's probably years worth of food.

In your case, make sure to add things like oyster eggs or cyclops eeze and other foods that the coral and filter feeders benefit from. I posted in the other one, but central market is the best place for small quantities of random seafood. Way cheaper than whole foods, and at least the south location, has a much better selection. With a small tank, you will not need a lot to last a long time. If you end up with a pound total, it's probably years worth of food.

Will the food stay good for years? Obviously it will be in the freezer, but there are several types of protein that won't stay good for that long. Is seafood different, or are there preservatives in the additives like cyclopeeze, garlic, etc?

I like to use fish eggs, mysis, seaweed shreds, and krill in my food. I've used squid and found that it's tough to get it small enough and it can be pretty chewy for the fish. It's usually what's leftover after feeding the tank so I'll probably skip it next time I make a batch. Fish eggs and mysis are the favorites of my fish.

Will the food stay good for years? Obviously it will be in the freezer, but there are several types of protein that won't stay good for that long. Is seafood different, or are there preservatives in the additives like cyclopeeze, garlic, etc?

Actually not sure, meant more of a you'll have years worth of food.

But it's hard to say, I use rods frozen and I'm pretty sure I've had 1 pack in my freezer for a year or two. I can't find any info on the expected shelf life for it on the package or their website, same thing for Larry's which more or less just states that thawing and re-freezing destroys it over time. Would be interested to know if there is any info on how quickly it degrades in the freezer.

That was my other concern, how long it can be in the freezer. Where do I get fish and oyster eggs?

I also found a recipe on another forum but it was overkill.

Sent from Sissy's phone

I know it's not the fresh food recipe you're looking for, but someone might find this helpful.

Because I only have a couple of small fish, I find it hard to feed them in small doses, as I use the Hikari frozen cubes. So what I do now is melt 5 cubes (2 mysis, 2 bloodworm, 1 spirulina brine), mix them up nicely, freeze and shatter. I feed a LOT less now and can tell the difference in my waste/nutrient export.

897f9a0233786d22468eb90ed9cf5316.jpg

87b958cd04e6c99c2c5c8c3fc4bfcadf.jpg

977b256279b4f33c20c1cd1c39ac4b14.jpg

1c419c737c61cfd3be8524d8af006ee1.jpg

487dcc9b227b9a3615dd4f866cffe0a2.jpg

f96abce57e3f926b212847b025a99886.jpg

is there anyone who can make a batch that i can use on both my tanks an freeze the rest enough for 3 to 6 mo im not able to do much driving or going into big stores i do HEB once every 2 to 3 mo of course ill. pay for your time an the food thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

i will have clowns soft corals nems maybe a few other corals i been spot feeding with coral frenzy an given my clown omega 1 pellets 4 to 5 each 1 or 2x a day

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It's easy to make your own. Just buy your pellets, mysis, etc, and get an ice cube tray. Put your chosen ingredients in it with RODI water and free them. When you're ready to feed you drop the cube in your tank. As it floats around and melts it will release the food.

I did it! Heb was limited on what they had since they were doing inventory but i got a good variety. Just made a small batch. I think it turned out well. My new clowns like it!

Sent from Sissy's phone

If you use raw seafood ingredients from some grocery store or market PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE exercise caution. I've crashed my tank using contaminated seafood in DIY food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use raw seafood ingredients from some grocery store or market PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE exercise caution. I've crashed my tank using contaminated seafood in DIY food.

What happened? And how?

I did it! Heb was limited on what they had since they were doing inventory but i got a good variety. Just made a small batch. I think it turned out well. My new clowns like it!

Sent from Sissy's phone

Sent from Sissy's phone

Yes, that and rinse everything well first as some stores will use nitrates to help preserve their seafood.

I rinse everything like crazy, only buy from whole foods or central market, and freeze it thoroughly before serving. It's been awhile since I've made any but that was my process back in the day.

What happened? And how?

Sent from Sissy's phone

Sent from Sissy's phone

It was a while back. Couple years. Made my own DIY food consisting of live clams, mussels, oysters, and jumbo gulf prawn. Blended up and frozen. After 3 feedings nearly every coral in the tank was dead. That includes zoas, leathers, montipora, all lps, and acros

Alrighty then! Thanks for the warning, on to central market for me. I had no idea about all that.

Sorry about your tank. [emoji22] I would cry if that happened.

I'll check my parameters today for piece of mind and will stick to whole foods and central market (and rinse, rinse, rinse, of course!). Wow, thanks for the warnings and advise!

Sent from Sissy's phone

What happened? And how?

Sent from Sissy's phone

Sent from Sissy's phone

It was a while back. Couple years. Made my own DIY food consisting of live clams, mussels, oysters, and jumbo gulf prawn. Blended up and frozen. After 3 feedings nearly every coral in the tank was dead. That includes zoas, leathers, montipora, all lps, and acros

I wonder if there was something containing copper or another heavy metal that's toxic to inverts. Did you have / lose any shrimp or crabs when it happened?

Archived