Fragging Duncans Video

FarmerTy

Hey ARC,

My goal when I got a better phone was to start recording some instructional/informative videos for the club. Here I am living up to my goal.

Don't be too harsh on me. This was my first foray into recording one of these videos and also my first hand at editing a video. Enjoy!

-Ty

I love videos like this. I would work on framing, and adding more angles. Also some background music when you are not talking is a nice addition. I am actually going to start shooting some DIY videos when I assemble my 50g frag system! Will use a combination of 4k gopros, D7200, and my note 7. Pretty excited.

I love videos like this. I would work on framing, and adding more angles. Also some background music when you are not talking is a nice addition. I am actually going to start shooting some DIY videos when I assemble my 50g frag system! Will use a combination of 4k gopros, D7200, and my note 7. Pretty excited.

I appreciate the feedback!

I wanted to incorporate more background music but I don't really keep a collection of background music, tracks, and sounds. What do amateur/professional film folks use for music samples and such? Is there a service I can pay to have access to that?

I wasn't sure how much I actually wanted my face in the video. It's a face only a mother could love.

Framing is so difficult with just using a phone. I get no visual feedback to see if I'm even in the frame. I guess I could always hook it up to a small TV and be able to see myself recording... myself. [emoji4]

Good first video. I think the part where you back was to the camera could have been cut out and replaced with the close up view from later in the video. Having some sound or music is a good idea. OMG, I thought I was going to watch another person get their finger cut off! I'm glad you put the caption up there.

There are sites like these that have royalty free music, just need to credit the artist.

http://www.bensound.com

And sites like this that have crazy amounts of background music. Pick a song and use it in all your videos.

http://www.audiomicro.com/royalty-free-music

And I think solid eye contact is important in making the viewer feel a part of the video. Look at the BRS videos. No George Clooney there, but he pulls it off well.

And you should always do a few practice takes to get your framing and delivery down since you arent limited by film.

Jealous? Who said anything about me being jealous?...[emoji19]. Great video! How long did it take to grow a colony that size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good first video. I think the part where you back was to the camera could have been cut out and replaced with the close up view from later in the video. Having some sound or music is a good idea. OMG, I thought I was going to watch another person get their finger cut off! I'm glad you put the caption up there.

Yeah, when I had setup my phone (setup meaning wedged it between a drill and a mallot on top of a 5-gallon bucket on top of two sawhorses), I hadn't realized that the angle was going to give you a great view of my back. That's why I followed up with a closer-in shot with all the action. This was all done in one take folks! No re-recording here!

Looking back at the close-up sawing action, I was like... I think some people are going to be squeemish thinking I'm about to lose a finger so I made sure to write that quick note that the blade couldn't really cut flesh.

Nice job. Is there a related duncan sales thread? smile.png

If you go to the SoaSA swap there will be a frag tank there with a bunch of them in it! I'll try to make an effort to sell some locally as well but meeting people individually is just too time-consuming these days sadly. Fall frag swap in Austin anybody? I'll let people know when I'm able to make the next monthly meeting. I can't make this month's unfortunately.

There are sites like these that have royalty free music, just need to credit the artist.

http://www.bensound.com

And sites like this that have crazy amounts of background music. Pick a song and use it in all your videos.

http://www.audiomicro.com/royalty-free-music

And I think solid eye contact is important in making the viewer feel a part of the video. Look at the BRS videos. No George Clooney there, but he pulls it off well.

And you should always do a few practice takes to get your framing and delivery down since you arent limited by film.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check them out!

Jealous? Who said anything about me being jealous?...[emoji19]. Great video! How long did it take to grow a colony that size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha Cliff! I think that colony is about 4-5 years old. It grew from a two-headed frag my brother dumped on me when he got out of the hobby. I didn't even want it but he said he would start his tank back up so I held on to it. After 4-5 years, I'm thinking he's not getting back in now so chop-chop time. Unfortunately though, my wife got attached to it so now I was voluntold to keep one frag. thumbsdown.gif

I liked the video... great work for your first try. I watch a lot of car videos (check jafromobile on youtube for examples of what i'm going to say) that run the video at normal speed when there's something that needs to be explained carefully and then the video speeds up to 2 - 4x the normal speed during the "slower" parts to make the video shorter. You may consider doing this after the initial explanation of what you're doing. I skimmed through a lot of the cutting part after listening to your initial explanation of where and how you were going to make the cuts.

My duncan colony started sprouting new heads at the bases of the polyps within about 1 month of introducing it into my tank. I bet it will be pretty large within a year's time and I'll have to frag it or set up my 75G tank. biggrin.png

Also, lol about "voluntold". Bry's going to hate that you taught me that and I'm totally going to place the onus on you for that one.

I think you should replace that guy actor. I've heard some shady things about him and his IMDB bio is blank.

Can we get Angelina Jolie to do the next one?

I hired him because he's an up and coming YouTube star in the making!

Jolie would probably not support reefing I'm guessing.

Great stuff there, Ty.

My only constructive criticism would be when you first went to cutting and the shot was all elbow and shoulder. FF was great, end close up was was great. Chuckled at the closing credits a bit as well!

One area I think you do very well is the spoken part. You're pretty fluid, direct, and don't repeat yourself out of nervousness or feeling like you have to fill space. So many youtube instructional/hobby/diy vids are done by well intentioned, well informed people who make me want to stomp kittens w/ the way they present it verbally.

Thanks guys. It took me 4-5 years so I may not be the model of inspiration you need for fragging. Haha.

I had the same knee jerk reaction when I saw a LFS employee get too close and then he demonstrated that it wouldn't even cut you. I tried it myself and yeah, nothing. If you leave it, well yeah, it'll eventually sand away your skin.

Great stuff there, Ty.

My only constructive criticism would be when you first went to cutting and the shot was all elbow and shoulder. FF was great, end close up was was great. Chuckled at the closing credits a bit as well!

One area I think you do very well is the spoken part. You're pretty fluid, direct, and don't repeat yourself out of nervousness or feeling like you have to fill space. So many youtube instructional/hobby/diy vids are done by well intentioned, well informed people who make me want to stomp kittens w/ the way they present it verbally.

Thank you for taking the time to give such great tips and great observations! I don't know how I missed your comment earlier.

I'm a goof in real life so I think I'd like to try to incorporate that more in the next videos. I just don't know how that'll translate in a video versus real life.

That was so cool! I've always wondered how to frag. I also like the caption stating it can't cut flesh. Although I do slightly disbelieve you, that thing looked too much like a ban saw. Most of the other points have already been brought out. I did want to see your face and that will help in getting your personality across too. All in all - great job! Can't wait for the next!

Oh yeah, the credits were a great touch! I laughed out loud

That was so cool! I've always wondered how to frag. I also like the caption stating it can't cut flesh. Although I do slightly disbelieve you, that thing looked too much like a ban saw. Most of the other points have already been brought out. I did want to see your face and that will help in getting your personality across too. All in all - great job! Can't wait for the next!

Oh yeah, the credits were a great touch! I laughed out loud

Thanks for the feedback! I'll aim for more facetime in the next video! [emoji4]

Archived