Introducing clam to DT without contamination/infestation

cliff

How do I add a Clam to my DT. Should I QT it? FW dip? Coral Dip? I have heard anything but a QT will hurt the clam. My problem is, I cant add it to my QT because im doing a QT preventative treatment on some fish with medications. Do I need to set up another QT just for the clams? and if so, how long do I need to QT them. Thanks in advance.

That depends on what you are trying to prevent getting in your system. For instance, in mine, ich is something I don't want to introduce so I'd QT for 45 days (really it should be 76 but I'm comfortable with my shortened QT).

If you just don't want flatworms, critters, potential pests, you can do a freshwater dip on them with RO/DI water. I'd look up a bit on how to do it but clams handle freshwater dips just fine. James Fatheree's book on clams demonstrates how to do this when I read it last.

Freshwater dipping clams is good for worms and pyramid snails. It's also a treatment for pinch and gape. I don't recommend iodine.

If you set up another QT for the clams, then make sure they don't starve. A clam in qt, with light only, may begin showing signs of starvation within 30 days.

Don't dip your clams in any coral dips, often times those chemicals target the nervous system of the clam and can end up killing it. Dipping the clam in RO/DI water that has been brought up to the same temperature and pH of the clams water is probably the best method.

Clams get much of their energy from photosynthesis, therefore they need a good light source and indirect ambient sunlight probably won't cut it. I saw maxima clams in the wild that were 1-3 feet under water with direct sunlight most of the day, but I didn't find any in the shade. Like many corals, you also don't want to blast them with too much light or you may shock them. Start them at the bottom of the tank and slowly move them up towards the light as they acclimate.

I also use an old toothbrush to lightly scrub the outside of the shell during the freshwater dip. This helps dislodge any pyramid snails that hide in the crevices of the shell. DO NOT scrub the mantle of the clam or the bottom of the clam where the foot comes out, this can cause tremendous damage to the clam that may kill it. Those snails hide in the crevices of the clam shell and can be difficult to see. Their eggs are also difficult to see so be sure to scrub in there with the tooth brush and inspect for snails.

Don't dip your clams in any coral dips, often times those chemicals target the nervous system of the clam and can end up killing it. Dipping the clam in RO/DI water that has been brought up to the same temperature and pH of the clams water is probably the best method.

Clams get much of their energy from photosynthesis, therefore they need a good light source and indirect ambient sunlight probably won't cut it. I saw maxima clams in the wild that were 1-3 feet under water with direct sunlight most of the day, but I didn't find any in the shade. Like many corals, you also don't want to blast them with too much light or you may shock them. Start them at the bottom of the tank and slowly move them up towards the light as they acclimate.

I also use an old toothbrush to lightly scrub the outside of the shell during the freshwater dip. This helps dislodge any pyramid snails that hide in the crevices of the shell. DO NOT scrub the mantle of the clam or the bottom of the clam where the foot comes out, this can cause tremendous damage to the clam that may kill it. Those snails hide in the crevices of the clam shell and can be difficult to see. Their eggs are also difficult to see so be sure to scrub in there with the tooth brush and inspect for snails.

Thanks for taking the time to type out all this good advise. I love this group!

Glad you started this thread so I didn't have to! Really want a Maxima, so might as well ask this here, now that the QT question has been covered.

Maximas will be OK on the rockwork, yes? That's what I have read, but never really see pics of clams anywhere other than on the sandbed.

Glad you started this thread so I didn't have to! Really want a Maxima, so might as well ask this here, now that the QT question has been covered.

Maximas will be OK on the rockwork, yes? That's what I have read, but never really see pics of clams anywhere other than on the sandbed.

Yes, Maxima clams exist solely on rocks in the wild, they don't live in the sand. In fact maxima clams dissolve the rock under them when they start attaching to the rock with their byssal threads and essentially burrow into the rock. Clams in the wild are basically a pet of the rock/coral reef and can be nearly flush with the substrate around them. They don't like to be moved around a lot and will permanently attach to the rock you place them on (assuming they aren't rocking around or being moved to prevent them from connecting to it). If the clam does attach to the rock and you want to move it, you must be very careful not rip the byssal threads when removing it. It's best to gently cut the threads with a blade and they may grow back. I have seen clams that wouldn't grow their byssal threads back after being cut and just had to be wedged in a gap in the rocks.

If the clam you get is tiny, like 1-2", chances are they haven't accumulated enough zooxanthellae to support themselves and will need additional food. It's a good idea to provide ouster feast or phytoplankton to the tank they are in for additional food until they are mature enough to be self sustainable. You don't want them to starve to death!

I would recommend burying a rock just beneath the sand and then placing the clam on the rock. This will allow the clam time to attach without falling down. You can move the clam around wherever you want once it is attached without cutting the threads. If you have to cut the threads, then cut them as far from the shell as you can. Make sure the rock it attaches to is wide enough for the full size or it may tip over later. Over the years I've seen some people use a cut piece of PVC to hold the clam upright while it attaches. Just make sure it doesn't prevent the clam from opening.

Not locally. I just check liveaquaria.com all the time and figured I'd order one when I order my next batch of fish. Given my current QT situation and plans to travel in Sept, I'm thinking I won't be introducing any new livestock until the 1st part of Oct at best.

Not locally. I just check liveaquaria.com all the time and figured I'd order one when I order my next batch of fish. Given my current QT situation and plans to travel in Sept, I'm thinking I won't be introducing any new livestock until the 1st part of Oct at best.

Haha me too, almost every day to see what pretty clams they have. I just can never bring myself to buy anything because the shipping rate brings the price per clam to something ridiculous I would never pay. And buying enough to make it to free shipping is also too much to get a clam or two. And the problem with group buy is it's WYSIWYG and they have a two day max holding policy so that presents a challenge. I'm just hopeful a shop in Austin will start getting regular shipments in.

I'm probably going to put in an order around September 1st, depending if the items are in stock. I'll probably have enough for free shipping. If you want to jump on the order, let me know, and I'll drop you a line.

I'm probably going to put in an order around September 1st, depending if the items are in stock. I'll probably have enough for free shipping. If you want to jump on the order, let me know, and I'll drop you a line.

Yeah man, send me a PM the day of and I'll let you know if I see something I must have.

Just curious, have you found a clam or are you just asking for future reference? I haven't seen too many clams for sale lately, but I'm definitely on the hunt for one

There are 2 at just reef and 5 at aquatek as of two days ago. They are about 4-6" and $150-$180

Just curious, have you found a clam or are you just asking for future reference? I haven't seen too many clams for sale lately, but I'm definitely on the hunt for one

There are 2 at just reef and 5 at aquatek as of two days ago. They are about 4-6" and $150-$180

70498991.jpg

It's risky keeping clams in stock. They require more than the average acro frag and every new clam has the potential to add baddies to the clean stock. If it comes in with pinch or gape then you'll have to wait a long time to sell it. Plus, most of the one you sell will get killed by someone and they'll blame the store. The owner of the fish store that I managed would avoid products like this because they brought in too much headache.

Archived