90 gal Build - first reef tank

HarleyGuy

The nitrogen cycle for reefs is VERY complicated, it's not a simple loop like is described for fish only or reshwater systems. Corals with zooxanthellae have a heavy need for nitrogen and they will pull the ammonia fish excrete from their gill directly from the water and grab the urea in poop. Additionally calcium and magnesium carbonate crystals form in fishes intestines and is also used by the corals.

Tim is spot on with this. It is definitely more complex than most of us appreciate.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Reburn, thanks, that makes sense (soaking the rock) and I'll look for the bosch bits.

Hey Jimbo, How big a bag and how much for the sand? I can definitely use it. :-) I'll PM you so that I don't get in trouble. :-)

More questions: I'm probably going to give my brother my 90 gal tank since he needs one and also since I want to pickup a 115 ,same footprint as my 90gal so I can use the same stand, 48x18, but 31" tall. :-)

That said:

• Is a 1" Drain and 3/4" Return good enough for a 4' x 115 gal tank?
    • I'm using a Jebao 1585gph DC return pump
    • I'm also using 800 - 2000 gph powerheads, wavemakers x 2 in the tank
    • I'm asking because I already purchased 1" and 3/4" pvc, unions, and high end gate and ball valves and I definitely want to use them (not have to buy bigger/more)
    • I figured a 1" drain, durso, and a 3/4" return plumbed into a manifold then up to a gate valve prior to return to the tank
    • I was hoping that this setup would provide adequate flow through the sump and the powerheads/wavemakers in the tank would enhance flow in the tank

Does this seem adequate or is my logic flawed lol?

thanks,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Well I upgraded my tank. ? In a week I'm picking up a 48" x 31" tall 115 gal tank from glass cages. It has 1/2" glass, euro-bracing, low iron (star fire) glass in the front panel, and 3 x 1" holes predrilled in the overflow. It should be a real beauty. 48" x 31" should make a great display tank. I'm building he 37gal tall sump at the same time. With this much height I will be building some fairly tall towers of live rock. Should be fun.

Any comments, concerns, input?

Thanks,

John

Thanks! Yes it should. One note, I saw that video and was thinking of using 1/2" sched 80 for the live rock instead of 1". I was thinking that 1/2" should be sturdy enough and a lot easier to drill. That plus fiberglass rod for the smaller vertical pieces. One other reason is because I have Tonga plates and Marco rock plates (flat bottom) that I was going to add to the towers. These are more fragile so 1/2" would be a bit safer to drill.

Thoughts?

John

One other note, when I get to the point of drilling/setting up the aquascape would anyone be interested in helping? ? Someone with experience preferably? ? It won't be for a couple weeks out. Like the the second week of August or so.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I still need to paint the top and mint the led lighting in the top. The sump is pretty much done and I picked up an Aquac EV180 skimmer for $100 on eBay. Let me know what you think on the sump. It has 3 sections, skimmer, then return, then the fuge. I'm running 2 x Jebao dct6000 pumps, 1 to the manifold and return and 1 to the skimmer. They are dc and adjustable. I'm taking a tap off the manifold back to the fuge section.

I also built a shelf in the first section to lift up the skimmer for ease of plumbing and maintenance and I stuffed a 4" marine pure block under the shelf. The is only my second sump so hopefully it will work out ok.

Since the tank is so heavy I'm reinforcing the stand prior to plumbing. The tank is 1/2" glass with euro bracing and it weighs a ton! It will also have about 120 pounds of live rock and 100 pounds of live sand. Fun fun! :-) .

I think the sump looks pretty good HarleyGuy! Why is the overflow black and white? Is there some paper covering it or something?

(PS - useful ARC site tip - you can use the 'Edit' button to correct or add to your posts if you like)

(PS - useful ARC site tip - you can use the 'Edit' button to correct or add to your posts if you like)

He's trying to get his post count up so he's not a noob anymore! grin.pnggrin.png

Dig the lid on the sump. Did you just get that glass custom cut and put a handle on it? Pretty slick.

Archived