90 gal Build - first reef tank

HarleyGuy

I think the sump looks pretty good HarleyGuy! Why is the overflow black and white? Is there some paper covering it or something?

(PS - useful ARC site tip - you can use the 'Edit' button to correct or add to your posts if you like)

Thanks! This is only my second attempt at sump building lol. The black and white is paper on the overflow that I haven't pulled off of the acrylic yet. I just got the tank home so it needs to the paper pulled, back painted, plumbed, top painted, etc... Thanks on edit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(PS - useful ARC site tip - you can use the 'Edit' button to correct or add to your posts if you like)

He's trying to get his post count up so he's not a noob anymore! grin.pnggrin.png

Dig the lid on the sump. Did you just get that glass custom cut and put a handle on it? Pretty slick.

The post count is a good side affect of my ignorance yes. lol smile.png The lid is actually clear polycarbonate. The local HW stores only had 1/8" glass which is too thin/brittle and I had a piece of polycarb, so,...... This is going to work until it starts to warp, then I'll go back to the glass store and get a piece of 3/16" and cut it myself. I also do stained glass so cutting glass is pretty easy for me. grin.png I made the baffles out of 1/4" salvaged window glass, the fuge baffle is made from 1/4" black polycarbonate to block the light from the fuge into the other sections (as much as possible). I put a lid on the sump to try and limit splash and mess in the bottom of the stand. Thanks!

Thanks Jimbo! I would say slow but positive progress! :-). What is slowing me down is the fact that part of my house got flooded by an AC malfunction in the attic. I had to rip out the Sheetrock from two closets and partial walls in two rooms. Down to bare studs. I've rebuilt it and the paint and trim is done, but now I need to complete the built in shelving in the two closets and then carpet, and then move everything back in to those rooms. This has been a huge pain! I'm doing this reef stuff "on the side" at the moment, so it is taking me a lot longer. :-)

I'm still catching up on your build so you will have to forgive me if someone already said.

Polycarbonate is tough as heck to mill but won't warp but scratches very easily.

Acrylic is easy to mill but warps but scratches less easily.

I'm still catching up on your build so you will have to forgive me if someone already said.

Polycarbonate is tough as heck to mill but won't warp but scratches very easily.

Acrylic is easy to mill but warps but scratches less easily.

Hi Reburn,

Thanks for the interest/comments. Poly (from my experience) is extremely tough, scratches fairly easy, and when subjected to water over a long period of time tends to slightly warp if it is not reinforced or locked into a

build (glued into place). I've seen this before. The warping is mild, nothing like Acrylic, but on an item like a top which has very small tolerances, it would probably be noticeable. Since this top is setting flat with no additional

support, I should get a year or two out of it before I would want to replace it. So for now it should work great. But at some point I will replace it with 3/16" glass. Especially given glass is easier to clean.

The rest of the sump is glass except for a small poly shelf for the skimmer (silicon glued into place), and the 1/4" black piece of poly that I used for the fuge baffle that is also glued into place. I'm expecting/hoping

this setup will work good for this tank.

The tank is a 120 gal glass cages tank (48x18x31), 1/2" glass, with euro bracing, drilled with 3 x 1" holes (2 drains and 1 return), and a low iron front panel. I've changed my setup a bit

so I'll provide an updated list of hardware/equipment later today. Thanks again.

Archived