New Apex! Oh my...

FarmerTy

Can I use the new Energy Bar 832 with my Apex Classic?

"No. One of the best features in this new Energy Bar 832 is the power monitoring. To accomplish real-time power monitoring on eight outlets (or even more if you have more than one EB832) requires system resources, such as onboard memory and processing power, that is just not available in the Apex Classic. Sometimes this happens with technology, you have to keep moving it forward but to do so you cannot keep forward compatibility going on forever."

Umm, just SOFTWARE code it in to disable the per-port monitor and monitor all of them together like before (when classic is detected) even if THATS not possible (all in one) should still be able to toggle switches..... its not even a hardware related issue!!! ffs, come on neptune. I know one of you read this forum smile.png

Outraged. Literally pulled mine out of the box and set it up last week.

Horrible feeling that my next email from BRS, after my order/shipping confirmation, was to preorder the new one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outraged. Literally pulled mine out of the box and set it up last week.

Horrible feeling that my next email from BRS, after my order/shipping confirmation, was to preorder the new one...

IMHO, yer better off w/ the classic right now. Theres always a "break in" period w/ new hardware, how many bugfix firmwares releases will there be in the first year alone? The reason most of us like the "classic," as its called now, is because of its stability. Theres a $100 rebate waiting for you though :)

I actually ordered a classic (not gold, regular ph probe) today since they lowered the price. I think it's fine and feel like I know what I am getting. But I had the benefit of knowing about their new product before I decided. I would have been upset to order one and *then* learn there was a new model.

The design looks bad IMO. I do like the individual outlet monitoring. Like the old apex, there will be local-control independent of the cloud. It would be suicide to have exclusive cloud control.

It's a good upgrade, but probably not if you have a decked out apex. Other than the fugly design...

I feel like I'm missing something here. Why would you need to monitor salinity or pH constantly? Maybe it's because I use reeflink to control my vortech pumps and my radions, but other than pump/lighting control I'm finding a hard time justifying the need for this. Would someone point me to a thread that discusses this or enlighten me?

its not so much NEED, but nice to see patterns or out of context spikes... forewarning of things which may come, or a sign of bad things currently or already happening.

salinity for instance... if you see a huge swing... is you ATO stuck on (huge spike downward)? is your ATO empty and/or more than normal evaporation (huge spike upward)?

ph.. same deal... is something causing your ph to spike? are you about to see an algea bloom? are you lights on too long? is you ph going down and staying down? do you need buffer?

its all about maintaining environment.. not just knowing the numbers instantly.

If you run a calcium reactor, you're playing with fire if you don't monitor pH constantly. Not just the reactor's pH but the tank as well. Things can go wrong, and with a CaRX, it can go bad real quick. For example, let's say the CO2 solenoid gets stuck open, and it drops the pH in the reactor down substantially. Next thing you know it's dropping the pH in the tank down to dangerously low levels. Without a monitor, you may come home to a dead tank instead of getting a nice little alert telling you to go check on it.

Archived