Venting.

Bpb

Somebody please tell me how it is possible for a 15 month old to function regularly with no sleep. Yet again my daughter has now at this point slept a grand total of 4 hours in the past 24 hours, and does this regularly. Several times a week.

I'm talking WIRED. Running full steam screaming and playing. No crying or sickness. Just a nuclear reactor of energy. Refuses naps all day. Sleeps maybe 3-4 hours at night. That's it. No other catch up. No we don't give her caffein or any refined sugars.

Making me seriously reconsider having another. I don't think I could handle this all over again. Losing my mind. Hate posting stuff like this on social media though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleep issues are SO hard and will make you lose your mind quick! There's a good reason sleep deprivation is used as torture.

Have you talked to the pediatrician about it? Is she teething maybe? Ear infection? I'm sure you guys have tried all the tricks. With my oldest we had to completely black out the room, have absolutely nothing but his bed in there (no toys, books, furniture, anything he could try and play with), white noise machine, cool temps, thing on the doorknob so he couldn't get out, stick to a strict routine, etc, and a ton of sitting in there with him in the dark during the times he needed to be sleeping (we didn't do cry it out, though I would've if it came to that). It was hard for a couple years. I hope you can figure out what she needs so you can all get some rest! It seems like if nothing else, they eventually grow out of it and start sleeping well.

My youngest had sleep problems until 18 months and then it gradually started to get better. We learned later that he is hyper sensitive to taste, visual and aural stimulation.

Sleep is completely underrated until you don't have enough...

We lucked out and had a daughter that loved to sleep from the start, but we also had to deal with a genetic condition that required surgery at about 8 weeks after she dropped below her birth weight. The only thing I can possibly suggest it baby proofing, and to teach her to entertain herself. Might get you a few extra hours of sleep if she keeps herself busy and you aren't worried about her.

Funny it was mentioned. Last night I was literally thinking about how this is the best torture method. Crazy how things have changed. I used to get upset over a 5-6 hour sleep night. Now, that is a full scale winter hibernation for me. I have gotten to where I can function pretty well and even keep up a good workout routine on a 4 hour sleep night, 3 is pushing it. at 1.5-2 hours for a whole 24 hour period, multiple times a week, when "catching up" is sleeping 4-5 hours in one day, and I just start to lose it. Changes your brain chemistry, your thinking, mood, ability to cope, focus, and think. It's crazy how simultaneously you can be living in what seems like a complete nightmare, but the reason for it is something you love more than life itself.

Anyhow. Yeah we have gone through every "method" in the book except the "ignore" method. Which I use in place of "cry it out". By the book, "cry it out" is an actual method and does NOT entail ignoring a hysterical child for hours on end until they learn that you will not be there for them in need. Thats not cry it out, that is intentional neglect. I'm not trying to step on toes here if anyone supports it, but there's no science to it, and no rules to it. Shut the monitor off, shut the door, and dont open it again till morning and whatever happens will happen. I've had friends who are BIG proponents of this "method" who have ended up in the emergency room with broken arms on toddlers who figured out how to escape their cribs after hours of screaming for her/his parents. Being that our daughter has a heart condition, and my wife and I are both healthcare professionals, its just not something we are willing to do.

While I'm not opposed to babyproofing and letting her "play it out" for short periods, she is still young enough that I cant fully trust her to not find some way to kill herself if left alone long enough. Pop an eye off a stuffed toy, choke on a loose piece of carpet fiber, peel a SKU/barcode sticker off a toy I didn't even see was there and choke on it, or just fall and hit her head real hard on something (all of which have happened while playing unattended). Leaving her with the run of the room for hours while I sleep isnt quite do-able at her age yet. I am on the over protective side though. And that will likely not change

But aside from that, we have done every other conceivable thing to fix this and have failed at all attemtps. We do keep the house cool but not cold. we have done dark room, well lit room, white noise, no white noise, altering nap and eating schedules, ect and nothing seems to have any measurable impact. Most days she just flat out will not go to sleep or stay asleep very long. And like I said, its not illness related. She IS teething and we are working on molars coming in now, but when she wakes up, its time to run and play. Not be held and soothed. Matter of fact, if I TRY to hold her on nights like last night she becomes really angry and wants down and to be let to run free.

Luckily this morning I begged my mother in law to take her so I could catch up, so I just had a nice 5 hour long nap.

And if anyone is wondering where my wife is in all this...lol...She's at the tail end of her last semester of RN school so she has preceptor shifts the run most days of the week which has her getting up at 4 am every day including some weekends (like today). I don't get home until midnight from work, and she's not able to get into bed until around then anyway from working on school stuff and taking care of toddler and teenager, so I usually am on the overnight duty. By virtue (or curse) of our opposing schedules

Yesterday our 3 year old daughter woke me up at 4 a.m.. She could have said my name or made some sort of noise. Instead she came into our room, stood an inch from my face and breathed on me. It's pretty alarming to open your eyes and see a little face staying back at you in the dark.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Archived