Bmwaaron's Red Sea Reefer 350

Bmwaaron

Well after about three years without a tank I finally broke down and purchased a Red Sea Reefer 350. I wanted to focus on ease of maintenance and remote monitoring and control since I Travel allot.
post-69-0-76952400-1450672480_thumb.jpeg

I'm a little late I the build thread but I have a few days off to catch up.

This is my previous tank build thread from 2006

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/16715-bmwaarons-blog/?hl=bmwaaron

So with the focus being easy to maintain and control remotely I have chosen equipment that I believe will help me accomplish this. The tank has been running for a month and a half now and is coming along nicely but still have had a couple hiccups with equipment along the way.

First thing I did was down size. I had a 300 gallon system before and the refugium on the previous tank was just slightly smaller than the display I have now but I wanted something that didn't require as much maintenance.

I also didnt want to rely on a chiller.

So with this in mind this is the equipment I purchased.

Reefer 350 system

2 Vortech MP40's

Vectra M1 return pump

Reef Octopus elite 150 skimmer

Kessil AP700

Apex controller

Apex Dos

I am going to be dosing two part for this tank and not relying on a calcium reactor since I have had allot of bad experiences in the past with them.

Im doing this on my Ipad and it wont let me do multiple pictures on the same reply for some reason.

This next section I cant take credit for the idea. I was looking at red sea reefer builds across the internet and came across one that had the apex installed by building it into the stand. I thought it was very clean and also hid wires.

IMG_2064.jpg

So I started by creating a shelf and a backing that I could mount the apex power bar to.

IMG_2065.jpg

Then I built a cabinet around the power bar and mounted the apex controller on the lid, I mounted all the Ecotech controllers above it

One of the issues I've been dealing with is when I move the new tank into the house, how do I keep the hardwood floors from being ruined. Did you seal the bottom of the stand or protect your office floors in anyway?

I did not do anything special to protect the floors. I have had a tank leak before and depending on how it leaks it can damage the floors, walls, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

After the cycle completed I added a lawn mower blenny and some inverts.

About two weeks after that I added two clowns a Wyoming and a Picasso.

The Wyoming I was never able to get eating and unfortunately he passed but was replaced with a black ice.

post-69-0-35444500-1451752678_thumb.jpeg

Archived