Bmwaaron's Blog

Bmwaaron

Hello all, I'm going to start this thread today... Here are some pictures of the beginning

PICT02872.jpg

This was the Tank June 3 2006

Sump.jpg

This is the Sump kinda empty at this time

PICT0291.jpg

Right side view of the Sump with Ehiem 1262 Return pump

PICT0293.jpg

Closet under the stairs were the Sump is located and the light ballast.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a Refugium out of a 50 gallon Acrylic tank. The bottom is supposed to be a Cryptic zone

Fugepicture.jpg

This is just a picture of the Fuge as I was working on it

fugepic2.jpg

Another view of the fuge

can2.jpg

This is the water supply system I set up. Its on a float switch that is feed by my RO/DI unit, I made the white stand out of egg crate to prevent the Auto top of system from taking to much water all at once, I can also manually switch the RO/DI supply line off so that it only has access to about 5 gallons of water and can not flood my house when I'm not home.

can1.jpg

newfuge.jpg

This is a picture of the refugium almost ready for water, Notice the chiller on the right

This is where I add water to my Reef, July 9 2006

Tankalmostfull.jpg

And now for some rock!!!

Tank7-9-06.jpg

I got the rock from Brian of KFA. He helped me with some of the plumbing and allot of questions

rightside7-9-06.jpg

leftside7-9-06.jpg

Xena7-9-06.jpg

My first coral came with the rock.. A little piece of Xenia

mili0818.jpg

This is my first SPS, its a Green and Pink Milli from Brian

tricolor0818.jpg

This was my second coral I received from Mike Hummel

webhulk.jpg

This is a Incredible Hulk Acro that came from Rommel

Webplate.jpg

webrasmilli.jpg

webtort.jpg

webyellow.jpg

The last 4 corals I got from MACNA in September 06

unknownacroweb.jpg

I got this one also from Rommel, Not sure what it is

Here are some comparisons of Corals from September to Now

webhulk.jpg

Webhulk0307.jpg

This is my Hulk Acro then and now, I would say its easily tripled in size

webrasmilli.jpg

Webacro.jpg

This is a Red Milli, The picture does not do it justice

tricolor0818.jpg

mili0818.jpg

webacro2.jpg

These 2 corals are next to each other

And a Full tank shot then and now

webtank.jpg

webtankshot0307.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well all is going well still, I have a Black crab that is eating SPS :angry: if I ever get ahold of him...

I tested water tonight

Ph 8.2

Alk 7.9

PO4 0

Mg 1350

CA 410

Temp 79.8

I also got a new effluent valve for my CA reactor tonight, It should help keep things more stable since I wont have to constantly play with the amount of water coming out of the effluent chamber. I am also trying ZeoMag in my CA reactor, I had to bring my MG up from 1100 recently and don't want to have to do it again so hopefully this will help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran test today

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

P04 0

Mg 1380

Dlk 9.2

CA 410

PH 8.2

I am going to start feeding my Corals eveyother morning. I think I may have low nutrients causing the SPS to be more Neon in color then I would like. I have read and been told that they may need more food to darken a bit in color.

I have 8 fish and feed them one cube once a day. They go through it so fast that none of it is getting into the tank to other things like the coral. I will feed at AM before lights on.

I feed twice a day with no ill consequences. Anthony Calfo said the best SPS food is fish poop. Of course you have to skim well and do water changes often if feeding heavy.

But dont you make your own food? I am using 1 cube at feeding time and I alternate what type of food I feed.

Ok so I built my Refugium with a cryptic zone, I have only seen a few sponges take up the area but what I did notice tonight is it is a pod haven!!! I Have thousands of Copepods swimming around down there. I made a mistake of putting a few blue leg crabs in the fuge when I got it and I think they were eating the pods but now that the crabs are all dead in that area I can see so many pods. Hopefully the rest of the refugium will look like that soon.

Sounds great! It is fun to watch those guys swim around. Have you seen any baby mysis shrimp. Those are crazy because they look just like bigger shrimp and you didn't put them in the tank.

I dont think I have seen any Mysis but I do have a ton of Amphipods. I will contiue looking :angry:

• 1 month later...

Yea I also had a hard time with the color since my tank has 2 diffrent bulbs on it at the moment. I have a Reeflux 12k on the left side and a Phoenix 14k on the right side. I am going back to the Phoenix 14k after trying the Reeflux 10k's for a few months. The Phoenix is the Best bulb I have seen IMO. I get way better blues with the Phoenix