NOOOOOO Not ICH!!!!

Jimbo662

I just picked up a coral beauty this weekend that is now covered... :( I am not tearing down the tank to get to it, so I am just going to ride it out. I haven't seen ich in my tank in several years so I am assuming it came on the fish from the LFS but who knows...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody else notice this pattern? In the mornings the PBT almost looks like it's not infected...just a couple of spots here and there. By the end of the day it's peppered again. Do those little suckers go dormant at night?

I see the same pattern with mine Jimbo. I had the ich brought in by a wrasse and have been fighting it for over a month. Lost a few fish but the rest seem ok. Healthy appetite. I wonder if one of the suppliers has an outbreak in their system as there seems to be an abundance of ich going around. Or maybe it's always like this.

Ich theronts will typically release from their encysted tomont stage at night and will look for a host. I bet you are seeing the progression of all the free swimming theronts latching on to your poor PBT throughout the day.

They'll detach within 3-7 days and find substrate/rock to encyst into a tomont form and the cycle will begin anew.

That's why the tank transfer method works... Once they drop off the fish, you move the fish to another tank entirely. No more encysted tomonts to reinfect the fish again. You move the fish 4 times with a max of 72 hrs in each tank to be sure all fall off and viola, no more ich.

549717d66a9de4f056b885111664c462.jpg

I think I need to put out an APB for my PBT. hmm.png I've not seen any spots on it in about 2 days and it seems perfectly fine and was eating good. I've not seen him at all today. Got out my flashlight and looked in all the holes / openings in the rock work and no carcass. You can tell there's extra nutrients in the tank...all the LPS has their feeders out and got some algae showing up on the sand.

I think I need to put out an APB for my PBT. hmm.png I've not seen any spots on it in about 2 days and it seems perfectly fine and was eating good. I've not seen him at all today. Got out my flashlight and looked in all the holes / openings in the rock work and no carcass. You can tell there's extra nutrients in the tank...all the LPS has their feeders out and got some algae showing up on the sand.

Uh oh!

Uh oh!

Exactly!!!!

WHAT THE HELL!!!! I just found the yellow eye kole and male anthias dead! They've not been dead very long as nothing had started eating them yet. The kole had shown no signs of ich that I could see and the male anthias has looked a little on the ill side since I got them but thought he was going to be ok. I pulled out the test kits: amm, ni and na all show 0. Phos shows .05. I've been sitting watching all the other fish for about 10 min. The sailfin still has a few spots on its tail, the yellow tang doesn't seem to have anything on it...it was stay still long enough to get a good look at it. Everyone in the tank shows no signs of any illness.

At this rate I may end up fallow before I know it!!!!!

That might be marine velvet then. Typically when you see physical signs on your fish, they are probably beyond help by then.

Velvet looks a tad bit different than ich. It almost looks like fine sugar coated all over your fish. It can kill in 2-3 days, much quicker than ich.

If you suspect marine velvet, I'd QT immediately and treat all fish with chloroquine phosphate (NLS spectrum sells it in a powder form, I believe RCA has it). While transferring to QT, I'd do a 5 minute freshwater bath to give the fish immediate relief and then put them in the QT with chloroquine phosphate.

Does anyone know how long the trophont can survive on the scales of a fish while the water is being treated? The reason I ask is I have a sterile treatment tank that I put a tang in, which was starting to show signs of small white dots. The white dots disappeared in less than a day and I have been performing water changes and re-medicating the water with Curpamine each time. Since there is no chance of tomonts being present in the treatment tank before and the water has always been treated with Cu, the only chance of survival would be under the scales of the fish. So now I'm just trying to figure out how long to keep the tang in the treatment tank for before releasing it back into the QT tank for observation. The Cupramine bottle says treat for 14 days, I just wish they included a reference to the study it's based on tongue.png

Luckily I don't think it's velvet. This morning everyone still looks great and showing no signs of distress. The sailfin still has a few spots on its tail and the yellow seems completely fine.

So what do you think killed your other fish? When fish die from ich, at least in my experience, they are covered in parasites and it's highly visible.

Often when fish die of velvet, the parasite actually killed them from asphyxiation as it'll overtake their gills, sometimes with no outward physical symptoms. The dead giveaway of velvet are fishes that swim in front of powerheads, typically at night if you turn the pumps down at night.

The only other thing I can think of that'll kill fish in a day or two (that's not environmental) is a bacterial infection, but that's highly visible too on the fishes exterior.

The PBT had the most spots on it. By the end of each day you could really see them protruding. The male anthias just never seemed to get to a really healthy point. The kole is a mystery...it had some spotting but not like the PBT. None of them had what you described as velvet. I looked at pictures online and I saw nothing like those on any of the fish.

There's always a chance of viral infection, which may not show any visible signs on the exterior of the fish. Or possibly death from stress. Unfortunately there are so many ways fish can die and we would need a pro to perform an autopsy immediately to be sure hmm.png

I am curious though how they died if they didn't show any blemishes on their scales or gills and didn't have starved or bloated bellies.

The PBT had the most spots on it. By the end of each day you could really see them protruding. The male anthias just never seemed to get to a really healthy point. The kole is a mystery...it had some spotting but not like the PBT. None of them had what you described as velvet. I looked at pictures online and I saw nothing like those on any of the fish.

Only reason I mention just to keep an eye out is that they could have no outward symptoms and still die of it. What makes it even more confusing is to have ich as well and have the ich lower the immune system of the fish and be seen as the outward physical symptom, but really have velvet wiping them out unknowingly. Not saying its the case in this scenario, just saying to keep an eye out for fish swimming in front of powerheads and other mysterious deaths.

Archived