Quarantine: Take 2

o0zarkawater

Since I setup my 185 back in July I decided that every fish I put in this tank will go through quarantine.

I've never quarantined before and have been lucky to never have had any issues as far as I can tell.

I picked up a 30gal off the club at a decent price, and it now lives in my office upstairs. Wife actually said that I wasn't allowed more than one tank, but once I explained how crucial a QT was, I got the green light.

I set it up and let it cycle for a couple weeks and dropped in my first victim fish. Red Tail / Sargassum Trigger.

I had Jake @ RCA special order him for me and call me as soon as he came in. I wanted him in the shipping bag/water and to get him going as soon as possible.

post-1199-0-41565800-1445399897_thumb.jp

I ran him on 5 days of Prazi Pro, 50% water change. 5 days of Para Guard 50% Water Change. 10 days Prazi Pro 50% Water Change halfway through, and another 5 days of Para Guard. 50% Water Change and then let him chill for a few days with carbon.

post-1199-0-08521200-1445399901_thumb.jp

He ate fine the whole time he was in there. Never showed any signs of anything. Krill, Pellets, Mysis, Nori, all no problem.

post-1199-0-81219200-1445399899_thumb.jp

Put him in a trap in the DT after acclimating him for a while. Let him get a view of the tank for a couple hours before letting him free.

post-1199-0-16515300-1445399899_thumb.jp

Mama clown was a little unhappy at first, but now everyone is fine.

PART 2

post-1199-0-74625300-1445399901_thumb.jp

Picked up this box today....

post-1199-0-18206100-1445399895_thumb.jp

WHOOO an Anthias.

post-1199-0-20628500-1445399896_thumb.jp

Lots of Anthias!!

Acclimated them for 3 hours and dropped them in.

14 Lyretail Females and 1 Male.

We'll see how this goes.

• Like 3

Picked up this box today....

attachicon.gifAnthias Bag.jpg

WHOOO an Anthias.

attachicon.gifAnthias Bucket.jpg

Lots of Anthias!!

Acclimated them for 3 hours and dropped them in.

14 Lyretail Females and 1 Male.

We'll see how this goes.

Dude, seriously. You didn't have to QT 7 anthias for me! Too kind sir! Just let me know when to pick them up! [emoji12]

Dude, seriously. You didn't have to QT 7 anthias for me! Too kind sir! Just let me know when to pick them up! [emoji12]

No problem Ty, the post quarantine cost more than makes up for my time.

In reality though, these are MINE!

I would have asked if you needed some, but figured I would get the usual canned response "I'm too busy, maybe when work slows down"

• Like 1

No problem Ty, the post quarantine cost more than makes up for my time.

In reality though, these are MINE!

I would have asked if you needed some, but figured I would get the usual canned response "I'm too busy, maybe when work slows down"

I'm too busy to even respond to this. [emoji12]

• Like 1

All 15 Anthias are still kicking around.

First day I just tossed in a little bit of fish eggs with some rotifers to see if I could get any feeding response.

They seemed to perk up a little bit, but nobody was jumping around to find anything.

Tried some finely chopped mysis... nope.

Tossed in some pellets just for fun, the snowflake that lives in the QT was all over them, but didn't show the Anthias how to eat.

So I went by RCA and picked up 2 different frozen plankton foods that featured anthias on the packages. If they're on the package, it has to be the right stuff!?

post-1199-0-07882200-1445727031_thumb.jp

Eating like pigs now.

I feed before I goto work, once as soon as I get home, then again before bed ~ 10-11pm.

Planning on a 50% water change today, then setting up a canister filter with just floss to help catch some of the junk out and keep it cleaner.

Start medications on Monday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Robb for bringing me a light to borrow for the QT tank.

Just finished the first round of PraziPro and did my water change.

I noticed earlier in the week that one of my females had a red spot on her side and was going to start dosing kanaplex, but wanted to wait until I was done with PraziPro.

She actually cleared up on her own after just a few days.

Just took a video of the tank and noticed my male has some fin rot! Argh! It's amazing what you notice when you have actual light.

I'll be starting Kanaplex for the next couple days along with ParaGuard for a week.

See how this goes.

What kind of filtration do you have going on?

Currently just a modified Aquaclear HOB filter that surface skims.

I have filter pads from the DT that I put new pieces in the filter every other day. Trash the ones that were in there.

I bought a Fluval 306 canister, but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Probably work on that this weekend.

So is the filter pad just that nylon pad to remove larger debris from the water? Obviously you wouldn't want to run carbon while treating a tank and skimming would also remove some of your treatment.

Biological filtration from a canister filter or bio wheel may be affected when you're running antibiotics since those wide range antibiotics may adversely affect the "good" bacterial populations that help recycle nutrients in the nitrogen cycle. I would think regular small quantity water changes would be your best bet at this point to ensure clean water, just keep up with your treatments as you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk