Acan bleaching

LarryD

so yesterday morning my acan lord was doing fine as it had been for the last month or two since I got it, however when I got back in the evening from helping my father half of the colonies skeleton was showing and the other parts were not extended as the usually are. I had not changed anything with the tank and tests showed that temp, ph, and salinity were all where they usually are, nitrates were a little high but not so high that I thought they would cause a problem at 10-15 ppm. I will get pictures if anyone needs some and I am thinking of doing a 20% water change today.

Check Alk and Mag levels, and do a water change. In my experience acans do best in a clean tank so I would say nitrates are probably too high. Is there anything (leather, etc.) that could be causing chemical warfare? What you are describing is tissue recession rather than bleaching (bleaching = tissue is losing coloration, rather than that it is not puffed up) so I would look for any corals that are nearby and could be stinging at night, like euphyllias, favias, etc. Water change, check levels, and move other corals away as necessary.

There is nothing within a couple inches of the acan and the closest things are gsp and zoas. Calcium and alkalinity were in sped when I checked it earlier but I will check again today. I will do a 20% water change this afternoon I just need to work mixing water and doing the change around a phone interview.

I've had problems with acans and euphyllias when adding too much GFO. They seem to be more sensitive to PO4 drops than SPS. If you recently changed out and PO4 media, that could be a problem. Otherwise, too much lighting would be the only other time I've seen them stress like this.

It's not necessarily the case that they just showed up in the tank, but it might be that they just recently got close to the acan after some period of time in the tank. I agree, it's probably not what is going on, but its always good to eliminate pests as a possible cause of a problem.

If it is retraction where you can see skeletal tissue around a viable head(s) just note that Acans always retract when they are reproducing new heads. I've watched them do this for years. So take a close look around the edge of the colony and see if you can spot any new nubs coming out. Don't go looking to making any changes based on retraction for a couple of days.

A picture in this case would help to determine if they are retracted, bleaching or experiencing tissue loss.

Andre'

It is definitely retraction not bleaching and there are certainly heads around the edge that are not as retracted so perhaps it is just making a new head. I did not know they retracted when expanding as this is my first foray with acans. I will take a picture this afternoon when the lights come on and post it. I will go ahead and check calc, alk, and mag and post the results but I think the new head theory sounds the most likely if there is no obvious unbalance with those parameters so I might hold off on a water change for now.

The setosa has been on the way out since I got it, I had put it up on top under some pretty strong lighting and it never got a chance to succeed. The acan on the other hand has been fully extended from the get go until yesterday.

post-4015-0-00926600-1441922302_thumb.jp

Parameters for mag, calc, and alk are as follows

Mg 1440

Calc 400

Alk 10

This fits well within the standard operating ranges of the tank and the window that they need to be in calc is a little lower than usual but not much. As you can see in the photo it is retraction not bleaching as I orignially thought.

Any thoughts on my acan woes? I am hoping that it is as Neon Reefer suggests and that it is the acan just splitting off a new head but I will probably still do a water change today just to be safe unless someone thinks it is premature.

I can confirm that there are no midday temperature spikes in the aquarium. I did target feed the acan with a bit of reef chili and that got some feeding tentacles out and it is less retracted now. It does look like a head ejected its zoozanthelae so I am probably going to have to spot feed a little bit just to get it all back into tip top shape. It was suggested that I feed it something meaty so since I don't have anything that fits that bill (just the reef chili) does anyone have a suggestion?

I am going to have to go get some. I finally took out the setosa since it was pretty much dead and so might have been contributing to the higher nitrates I was seeing, I also saw the shrimp munching on hermit crab parts so it has either molted or died but I can't see it to tell which one. To deal with the slightly elevated nitrates I did a 15% water change so hopefully when I get back tomorrow I will see a bit more improvement.

Good news I got back from my trip to find the acan fully extended complete with feeding tentacles and the colour returning to the sickly head. As of this moment it almost looks like it was never sick. I am thinking that the setosa and the hermit crab died pretty close to one another and spiked the nitrates and that was what caused the issue but doing the big water change and feeding the acan a bit to kind of get it on the road to recovery got what is rapidly becoming my favorite coral back into its usual fat self.

Archived