Does anyone in town use this Ceramic Media?

Juiceman

I use the 8 x 8 x 4 as my skimmer stand. I think Ty uses some as well, not positive on that though. What were you wanting to use it for specifically?

Most tanks probably have sufficient surface area that they shouldn't need one. I added one because I'm using a really low amount of rock for my total volume, and I needed a skimmer stand anyways. I will say that anecdotally I do think it actually supports legitimate denitrification. My pellet reactor has broken 2 times now, both times for several weeks, and I never got a measureable amount of nitrates during those times.

I've been fighting getting my nitrates down for the past few months. Phosphates are fine. Just the nitrates. Can't seem to figure out the missing link. Just evaluating if it would be worth it. I did build a stand for my skimmer, so that might be a good excuse to put some in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen threads where people use this stuff in their sump so they don't need to have as much rock in the display tank since it's got more surface area. I've been considering using it because it seems like it'll be much easier to clean the sump rather than having rock / rubble in the sump.

That's my thought too. I have rock that collects crap. Would be a lot easier to keep a block clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleaning it would probably reset any denitrification since it requires an anoxic environment. From what I can see, all of the pores on mine are still clear though, so it might not need a lot of cleaning.

Yeah, I have two blocks... Thank you C4. Set them and leave them there... In a low flow environment for denitrification. If you don't have a low flow area, I'd make one... Else you're just using it for nitrification and at that point, I wouldn't bother. Most reef tanks have no issues with nitrification and you might even add to your nitrate issue if its too proficient at nitrification.

Jestep is correct, don't rinse it or you'll reset your bacterial population. Just a note, on some of the bigger forums, I've been in discussion with others on the potential leeching of Al into the water column from those blocks. I haven't had any issues yet but my Al levels are definitely elevated.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, some flow is ok if the porosity of the media is large enough. The interior of a porous media can maintain a substantial anoxic zone. Of course it may be more efficient to have many small porous containers than one large one (the nutrient does have to make it into the anoxic areas to be reduced).

Interestingly enough, some flow is ok if the porosity of the media is large enough. The interior of a porous media can maintain a substantial anoxic zone. Of course it may be more efficient to have many small porous containers than one large one (the nutrient does have to make it into the anoxic areas to be reduced).

You telling me I should bust this thing up Victoly? I got the rage, I'll do it! devil.gif

It's actually really porous... I think Jestep described it best one time when he said he ran tap water over it to rinse it out and the water went straight through. I experienced the same phenomenon.

My Al levels are at 82.33 ug/L, the setpoint being at 2.0 ug/L from Triton labs... shhhh.. Victoly may hear me say that. snack.gif I've recently added the 2nd block in the last 2 months and sent off another test about a week ago to see where my Al are at. Inquiring minds want to know!

Victoly, you up in the UT lab yet? I need me some TOC testing, stat!

Low flow you say?

So getting a box of the ball version would be good in the bottom of my overflows? Since the pipes/drains are up at the water level, there's very little flow down at the bottom.

Or would it build up too much detrituis

Might be good in a full size overflow. Not in Smaller ones like mine

Under a skimmer seems like a good idea. You don't get a whole lot of flow going directly through it, but you have enough flow around the edges to create some import/export. You also have the skimmer intake near by to remove some export coming out of the block. Just my thought on that.

This looks pretty interesting. I'm thinking this could be used in setting up an emergency/quarantine tank.

It could be kept in the sump, then when a quarantine/hospital needs to be set up tank set up, you could plop this in and not worry about a cycle occurring. I wonder if it can be cleaned and put back in the main tank's sump if medications were used in the quarantine tank?