Berghia nudibranch

Besareso

We did a group buy about 6 months ago or so. Surely someone must have some.

Personally, I saw mine devour 1 aiptasia and I've never seen them again. As much of a great idea, I'm not convinced it's the best way to get rid of them unless you have an absolutely diabolical outbreak.

I don't have any frag supplies and the frag is on rock not on a plug. It's a receded scoli that is on the rock. I don't want to upset the aptasia and have it release eggs. If you know someone who might have one please let me know. I don't want it to spread to my other rock.

So your nudi just ate one aptasia and disappeared? Or did your aptasia disappea?

Both disappeared. The other 10 - 20 aptasia in the tank have been untouched. I started with 4 berghias and several egg sacs which is about $50, pretty high for removing 1 anemone.

I've found that some cheap electrical wire cutters at harbor freight works well to snap through rock. It's kind of a limited use application as the salt rusts the tool eventually but for a couple bucks, it's worth it to me in certain cases. Might want to give that a try or find a friend with a dremel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've heard of using those small butane torches but I don't see why a lighter might not work. Just be careful heating it for too long as you don't want to heat the rock itself too much or you may indirectly burn your coral.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't have any let, but the few I got totally took care of the ones I had on a couple pieces of rock. I did put the rock in the sump along with the berghia because I was worried about my wrasse having an expensive meal. :)

It might be pretty tough to get berghia to feast on a single aptasia. If you do get one (or more), release it as close to the aptasia as you can, at night with the lights off. They are nocturnal.

If it's a single aptasia, or only a few, I'd nuke it with a small amount of kalkwaser (pickling lime) mix from a syringe.

It might be pretty tough to get berghia to feast on a single aptasia. If you do get one (or more), release it as close to the aptasia as you can, at night with the lights off. They are nocturnal.

If it's a single aptasia, or only a few, I'd nuke it with a small amount of kalkwaser (pickling lime) mix from a syringe.

You could also pull the frag and put some thick kalk paste on it. Kills just about everything.

You can't add Berghia Nudis to a tank to eat one small Aptasia, it really doesn't work that way. You have to add a certain number of nudis for the size of the tank as well as the population of the aptaia infestation. Then they need to multiply to a point where they will begin hunting. Nothing will happen in the interim and then they starve after the aptasia are all eaten.

For what I see in your pic you can easily remove the Scoly and treat it outside the tank with a number of remedies available. Burning it with a torch (lighter) may be one way but I would inject the hole it retracts into with lemon juice thru a syringe with a fine point needle. Insulin syringes work great or there are some non medical ones available by internet.

I had a small tank, small number of aiptasia (<5) and they wiped them out. It probably wasn't the most humane thing since I never could find them to resell, but it definitely worked. It's expensive, but it was the only way I had success not just treating the symptoms, but eradicating the cause.

Archived