SPS Question / Help AGAIN...

SChrisEV

That's great correlation! Something to consider though is that the reference standard is at 100 ppm, and 100 is below our testing rage. They should have made it more like 150 ppm...

Great point. I had not thought of that. I think it's important to have the second test kit and compare to the Hanna, not just rely on the reference standard. The method Ty and I used was to look at deviation from the reference standard with the Hanna (mine was 1%) and also look at how different the readings were between Hanna and Red Sea. There was definitely a difference, with the Red Sea being lower than the Hanna. I don't remember the exact number, but it might have been something like .5 dkH. So I basically looked at that difference and tried to pick a safe target Hanna ppm reading that would put my tank in a safe range splitting the difference between the Red Sea and Hanna readings for the same sample. So as long as I picked a safe number for that, and as long as I consistently measure with the Hanna I should be good (same cuvette, pointed the same way in the instruement, cleaned the same way, measured same time of day). So far it seems to be working ...

Yeah, you're on the money Jim. Precision takes some precedent over accuracy for us. One of these days, my stuff is going to a real lab. One of these days...

You mean like Triton (duck!)

• Like 1

I'm late to the party. Stupid job.

1. Do you run carbon and how do ou impliment it? is it possible you are depositing carbon into the tank?

2. Do either of these corals get direct high flow that is non-variable?

3. have you or is it possible to dip either coral?

4. have you considered fragging and dipping?

5. do you add ANYTHING other than food directly to the display, or does EVERYTHING go to or through the sump first?

6. last for now, are there any pics of said coral, because according to Ty this hasn't even happend yet.

~Jason

Back to your question SChrisEV, I'll add that when I was having SPS problems I ended up attributing it to low nutrients and inconsistent alk. Once I addressed these things I saw tremendous improvement. I started testing alk every day and adjust my dosers every day. It was eye opening to see how much alk can drift in 24 hours. Possibly worse because I have a 32 gallon tank.

How often you test alk?

Also, you did not mention your Nitrates reading. What is your feeding regimen? Some people get by without feeding corals or using aminos, but I think you need a good size fish population to get away with using nothing for the corals.

• Like 1

Sorry got busy at work, then had an order to pick up (and deal with) from Niko's Reef, pics will be in my new build thread soon.

I'm late to the party. Stupid job.

1. Do you run carbon and how do ou impliment it? is it possible you are depositing carbon into the tank?

2. Do either of these corals get direct high flow that is non-variable?

3. have you or is it possible to dip either coral?

4. have you considered fragging and dipping?

5. do you add ANYTHING other than food directly to the display, or does EVERYTHING go to or through the sump first?

6. last for now, are there any pics of said coral, because according to Ty this hasn't even happend yet.

~Jason

1. I do run carbon, via the BRS dual reactor, that I know of I have not carbon in the tank

2. All the corals are in different places, and I have one WP40 that is connected to my APEX, and has a pretty random patters.

3. I have not dipped them, and there is not much left to dip at this time. :(

4. See #3

5. My dosing is added to the sump, but ATO water is added to the display

6. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight

Back to your question SChrisEV, I'll add that when I was having SPS problems I ended up attributing it to low nutrients and inconsistent alk. Once I addressed these things I saw tremendous improvement. I started testing alk every day and adjust my dosers every day. It was eye opening to see how much alk can drift in 24 hours. Possibly worse because I have a 32 gallon tank.

How often you test alk?

Also, you did not mention your Nitrates reading. What is your feeding regimen? Some people get by without feeding corals or using aminos, but I think you need a good size fish population to get away with using nothing for the corals.

I tested daily to get a handle on my levels, the once I started dosing, again daily for a couple weeks. Then every couple/few days and adjusted my dosing to keep the range in check.

My Nitrates have been undetectable by the API test kits I have.

I feed the tank on average about 5 times a week. I feed frozen and/or flake food. I have not feed any specific coral food for a while (over a year) but the ones that take very small bit of feed are fed, Blastomussa, chalice etc.