LIVESTOCK:

1 Bangaii Cardinal
1 Blue Spotted Watchman Goby

1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
1 Emerald Crab(?)
1 Curly Cue Anemone

Zoas/Palys:

Rastas (Sherita)

Whammin Watermelons/Eagle eyes (ZenReefer)

Cinnamon Grandis (Pham)

Candy Apple Reds (Ty)

Yellow Polyps (Tim)

Stony Corals:

'Red' Acans (Kim)

Green Frogspawn (Niko's Reef)

Green Candy Canes (Ty)

Meteor Shower (Victoly)

Green Fungia Plant (Ty)

Leathers:

Green Toadstool Leather

Devils Hand Leather (Sascha)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty. Then so my lease is up at the end of June and my brother and I decided on renting a house. Well, either way no matter where we go I'm upgrading the tank lol

So I have two free options. A 40b and a standard 55. Im leaning towards the 40 as the light I have now should be sufficient enough for that size tank and it would be easier to aquascape.

The plan is so hold off on the upgrade till the move to just do it all in one go.

Im a huge Function > Form person from the get go.. Then after everything works properly I'll try to make it look pleasing to the eye.

Anywho, as of right now I think I may just buy the only 40b stand we sell at work. I originally wanted to build one with my grandmas husband but hes super busy so the $100 for the one at work is fine.

I have:

165w chinese LEDs

HOB Skimmer

8362784 powerheads from my brothers recent tank upgrade

A bin full of dry rock (thanks Alex!)

The 40b tank of course

ATO system

Heaters out the wazoo

Salt salt and more salt

I need:

Sand

Stand

(Is it finally time to invest in an RO/DI system?)

Live rock

If I go with the "premade" stand I will not be able to have a sump in it. Which is fine by me. I did pretty well with the sumpless 10 gallon (until i fell off the face of the earth) and im no good at plumbing and it honestly confuses me so no worries about that.

Feel free to chime in on anything I'm forgetting, suggestions on stuff I should buy ETC.

----------------------

We should also discuss my ultimate plan for this tank. Idk what route I want to go with it yet. I will be keeping my Watchman Goby and probably do a small 'school' of Bangaii Cardinals to see if any pair off (my male didnt make it)

Corals I will def move over:

Zoas/Palys:

Rastas

Candy Apple Reds

Cinnamon Grandis Palys

LPS/SPS

Green Fungia Plate (Thanks Ty, one of my favorite little dudes)

Acans from Kim (theyve been really dull but still kicking it!)

Frogspawn

Softies:

Toadstool

Devils hand leather

Inverts:

Tuxedo Urchin

Curly cue anemone

(If its even still alive, my baby BTA, it kinda shriveled into nothingness)

Conch

Useless Emerald crab that wont eat algae but will eat mysis and steal other fish food

--------------------

So thats what we will be starting with. I will have one piece of LR from the current tank to move over buuuuuut.. It wont be so live when I move it as its covered in GHA and ill need to scrub it with peroxide but the nem is on it and wont move. Any chance i can get some snails or something of the sort to help battle whats on the rock and hopefully have it looking decent by July?

-------------------

I also have a Marineland "H.O.T." filter. I may remove the insides and use it as something like a HOB reactor for bags of carbon or purigen or phosguard etc.

Sounds like a fun upgrade. Is the urchin not touching the gha? Maybe just manual removal will entice him to go eat the remainder. You can also just scrub it with a toothbrush and siphon the gha out, inside the tank. That works well for me.

Perhaps you could chat with TheOceansTraveler regarding her tank. She has a similar setup as you but on a bigger scale and her tank looks fantastic!

I'm with KimP, my urchin is an indiscriminate mower of algae on rocks so I'm surprised it didn't just mow over the GHA. If you could, I'd manually pull what I could and then remove the rock from the tank, drip/spray some peroxide directly on the rock, being careful to avoid your anemone, and let it bubble a bit to kill off the algae. If you really wanted to be careful with the anemone, see if you could submerge the rock but leave the side with the anemone in the water and the rest of the rock exposed to the air and hit it with peroxide then.

I think theres just too much algae for him to mow alone. He seems to enjoy the 'dusty' algae on the glass more it seems

Im terrified of harming the nem since hes the only one thats done really well so ill try manual removal in tank first and see where I get with that

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up what I consider a rare find. A metal 40b stabd at PetCo for $60. Yassss. This build is moving! Also grabbed a 20L for my land hermits as right now they are chilling in the 40b (it was empty and they were cramped in a 10)

Idk if ill get the stabd put togethet and tank cleaned out today. Picking my car up from the shop then closing thw store.. Then opening the store tomorrow. And I dont feel so good today. So we'll see. Next Friday I'll get the sand.. Then start making the water and filling the tank! I have plenty of ugly pumps to use as circulation till I order the Jaebo(s?)

620242ee50a11e818a88d8bdd30fdc9b.jpg

Just playing with some rock sitting in the closet. I may only try to build the rightmost structure as id like to get quite a good deal of LR as well, and will have my blue rock from the ten gallon as well to move. Planning on getting it filled with FW hopefully tonight as well as getting that dry rock in while I wait on buying the sand. Friday cant come fast enough!

My stand was still in the car I had.. Which my brother had all day today so im waiting on him to move forward with cleaning out the 40 and gettong the stand built

The structure on the right definitely looks nice Makena. It's a keeper!

Awesome! Thanks. Im always terrible at aquascaping so thats great [emoji14]

Getting FW in!!! Stand actually looks really nice

191904ed1a6ef278fe9818fd5fdeab87.jpg

5e68aa529d30e0b162f370beb8516c65.jpg

Most recent pic right after all the FW was added. I tossed in two big bulky powerheads to mix the salt overnight. Tested yesterday morning.. 1.024! Nice. Water stillhas some particulates in it so I tossed on a ginormo HOB.. Then realized I has no filter floss so I'm stealing some from my brother today and picking up one of his bigger heaters and his spare water changer and whatever else I feel like grabbing while im here lol.

Ill also get the skimmer running when I get home. Lots of events/holidays these few days. Yesterday was me and my cars 6th anniversary.. Today is my one year anniversary with Tank my pup (in my signature) and tomorrow is my friends bday lol so busy busy

2b1f569ba2715ea21ad1909ef5778901.jpg

Set the tiny PC on to get a better glimpse at what I was doing as the room light isnt too bright.

b14b9d796d50972c96a8192738ace09e.jpg

Testing the skimmer out

639ca5dfa93960d8ee7e9103451ab4ab.jpg

Power filter clearing up the water

b730fea73579bdc7364cfc5bd7b5664e.jpg

Looks messy but mainly testing equipment right now. I did actually move the Bangaii over yesterday after testing the water again and getting the temp stabilized.

Shes super shy in that tank but its a lot bigger and more open right now so we'll see. Ill get her back in the 10 when I get the sand so her gills dont get all hurt

THIS WEEKEND IS THE WEEKEND.

Getting 60 pounds of sand for right around $40 at work. Wootwoot. Going by home depot to get more buckets for rinsing and water changes as I downsized to only one when i moved.

Gonna net out the cardinal tonight. Get the sand in, and start building the mount for the LEDs. Then get my brother to come help inch the tank a bit further from the wall. Then get electrical done. Drip loops.. Drip loops everywhere. And tomorrow my LR will be scrubbed as I move that piece and all livestock will get acclimated and moved. Then the breakdown of the 10!

I have a couple extra buckets for free if you want them Makena. They probably need a good cleaning since they've been outside but yours if you want them.

I live close to your work. Just PM me if you want them.

534c231d1be2b7e7df3beb759269fc7f.jpg

Got sand! Tank wanted to be in the pic but not with the flash lol

adbf7196b77c797bc98d6c59aafdb20e.jpg

Bucketssssss!!!! Thanks Ty!!

63e956e74523c1f91f7ddbaf08bbc0e0.jpg

84f10d1edc73a16979b3796ae634a2df.jpg

1215648614afcc5df259d7332f35c01c.jpg

Got my frag Ty has been holding onto for me, and some Candy Canes!!! Woot woot! Even got a little hitchiker mini brittle star! Love those guys. And Ty. Also love Ty. And his Tank. And his dog.

Im actually waiting on my sis at her school right now then when we get home ill start on rinsing the sand thanks to my fancy "new" buckets

Haha I love them! Too bad this guy of course went right up into that LR I'm going to be dipping -.-

Oh well.

At first I couldnt catch the Bangaii.. Then once I started getting (you wouldnt know it but i rinsed it super well) sand in and it clouded she came right up to the top corner terrified and i was able to net her and move her back to the ten till things settled.

Turned off everything then plugged the HOB back in to help clear up any tiny particulates. I tried to make an even sandbed but I was going off of feel at that point lol

We'll see what it looks like later tonight and if I want to start moving anything as early as that. Taking a break now then ill start building the LED mount

cee9ecb0ea2b08bf5f458c9e699bdb8e.jpg

Ill trade you some brittle stars and your dog for them lmao

6b4078f80de67ad494db882028638f55.jpg

Teeniest bit more clear today. Had to trade the big filter for another onw of my four in storage to clean.. Cause all that sand dust seized it up. First world problems. "Ugh now I have to set up another one of my four huge filters.. Woe is me."

c76fbd8c8d32bc34d18e3eb4875eaef0.jpg

For now thats the ATO area. Once I get to skinning the stand itll move to under the stand and out of the way for my snowglobe collection to go next to the tank lol

0f59777dd991e53bb4c0fcfd8690149a.jpg

Also while scrubbing all the ATO stuff found a few of these little snail bros. Not 100% sure what type they are. Pyramid shaped.. Hard shell. Tiny little things.

I went ahead and fired up the skimmer again in hopes that may help clear up the water and get any nasties out from dirty sand

Im hoping by tonight ill be able to see through the tank and get some livestock in. Thankfully im off today and dont work till 5 tomorrow so its GOING to get done by then, esp since the only things on the ten right now are the filter and heater

Haha awesome!

I was able to get everything moved over. The water is clearing up by the hour and between the big filter and all the filter pads im switching out.. Its clearing up quickly.

The goby was the hardest to catch but not too bad. Hes already found a cave. Bangaii is sticking close to all of the frags i laid out on the sandbed but exploring every few minutes.

I have no idea if the emerald crab made it. I scrubbed the heck out of the only rock in the ten. I just did it in the tank since it was empty.

The nem refused to close up even during the move so that was fun

8e13affe426a6d9632be256ee59e24e9.jpg

When everything moved

9fe958ace45551836069fe8d6460aab1.jpg

Just took this from my little gaming corner. Its looking decent!

I cant stop making excuses to take pics and update.

c382a5131261eb7d8e9116e8c9efa5bc.jpg

First real FTS!

6827f27c5aeb15f2f575614b6df96081.jpg

Green frogspawn from Nikos, whammin watermelons/eagle eyes, Green Fungia Plate from Ty, "Red" acan from Kim, Cinnamon Grandis from Pham

1a080fd3d430f34841bf25613f5af3aa.jpg

Green toadstool leather from I think Jennifer, Rastas from Sherita, Candy Canes from Ty, devils hand leather from Sascha. Then the meteor shower frag from Victoly! I do still have three of the yellow polyps (From Tim) on the rock

9d43306931b3a5d574e837325fcc1742.jpg

Oh and the Candy Apple Reds from Ty

7ffb6a45be4b9c11676b217e2125d773.jpg

Nem on left.. Goby upper right

e8d03e7b065c7cb4c66c97d429a8e47d.jpg

Goby again. Water is clearing up fast. I used a turkey baster to blow all the dust off the rock and cleaned the front glass.. So its pretty cloudy again lol

Got the AquaClear70 installed and have that thing packed with dense filter pads that are getting changed/rinsed every hour almost.. Until the water clears up.

Archived