Bristleworm sting. HURTS BAD. HELP PLZ

Cameronbherring

I got stung by a bristleworm while moving a rock. Little white hair looking things were all over my finger. It hurts pretty bad. Will I be ok? My 14 year old self might be over reacting but the 2 years I've had my tanks this has never happened. Any help? Should I do anything to my finger? I pulled all the hair stuff out. Any help works! Thanks

From emedicinehealth.com

Bristleworm Sting Treatment

Treatment for a bristleworm sting includes the following:

Remove bristles with tweezers or adhesive tape. A facial "peel" may be used over the over the spines or a thick layer of rubber cement. Once the rubber cement has dried, peel it off to remove or to pull the residual spines out of the skin.

Clean the skin carefully so as to not break off any of the spines.

Any of the following may help to relieve the symptoms especially after the spines have been removed: 5% acetic acid (Vinegar), 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), dilute ammonia or a paste or solution of meat tenderizer.

Severe skin irritation or other skin reactions may benefit from a topical corticosteroid cream or ointment such as hydrocortisone. Some individuals may even benefit from oral steroids such as prednisone.

If signs of infection are present, such as pus, redness, or localized warmth then the patient should consult a health care professional.

Oral antibiotics are often recommended to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Some antibiotics can cause sensitivity to the sun, so use a sunscreen (at least SPF 15) if a person must have sun exposure during treatment.

Pain may be relieved with acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) taken according to manufacturers direction(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived