What would you label this anemone?

Saw this tonight and not sure what kind it is. The photo is true to color. I am told it sometimes has some green around the stalk. Had a brownish color tonight. Not bubbled up. Would this still be called a green bta or is there such a thing as a brown bta?

post-3526-0-26350400-1425869360_thumb.jp

I would say it looks more like a dull green BTA than a red bta. But I would want to see a better pic from the top rather than the side, or better yet multiple pics from different angles...

Reds tend to go pink when unhealthy where greens go dull green, brown. That is why at this point I say green...

GBTA that doesn't have sufficient light or flow. When there isn't enough PAR, the tentacles are stringy like that instead of bulbous. I had a BTA under T-5 that was all the way at the top of the tank and still stringy. After I upgraded to LED, the same BTA moved towards the bottom and the tentacles got fatter.

I don't know if I 100% agree with the stringy versus fatter tentacles observation. I've blasted with 600 par and it has also sat in 200 par. The par had no effect on tentacle girth. It is still unknown the reason why some bubble and some don't or why some string out and some fatten up.

I have observed though that lower flow allows for thicker tentacles and higher flow strings out, at least in my tank.

I will say that the rainbow BTA OceanTraveler has in her tank was one of the fattest, and healthiest BTAs I've ever seen. If the brown one is in there too, I'd imagine it's getting sufficient flow and light for its needs. It just probably needs to color up over time. Once they lose their color, it can take up to a year to regain, especially RBTAs.

Thanks Ty, it isn't in my tank. I wanted to add a green one to my collection and when I saw this it was labeled as green but I wasn't sure so I passed on it. Shame if all it needed was some time to color up maybe I should have brought it home. Hmmm wanted to help the seller identify.

"The Bulb or Bubble Tip Anemone is found in oceans around the world. The Bulb Anemone attaches its pedal disc deep within dead coral amongst rubble or on solid, living reefs. In the home aquarium, the Bulb Anemone requires similar habitat and positioned amongst deeply creviced live rock or branchy corals placed in sandy substrate. Most Bulb Anemones prefer to find their own place to settle and may move about your aquarium until a suitable location is found.

For best care, the Bulb Anemone requires strong lighting in aquariums of at least 30 gallons. Under ideal conditions, it can grow up to 1-ft in diameter. However, most typically remain compact in size when kept under bright lighting. If the lighting is insufficient, the Bulb Anemone will expand its body to make the most of the available light. It should be kept with a Clownfish for best care. At times, the tentacles of the Bulb Anemone may appear stringy; this may be due to insufficient light or the need for food. Its diet should include chopped fish, shrimp, or worms if a clownfish is not present."

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+604&pcatid=604

Nothing against bud but I don't quite trust retailers for sources of information nor do I think a singular observation in my tank or yours can be decreed as the rule of thumb.

Just because it gets stringy for me in high flow, doesn't mean that's the rule. Nor does the lack of effect of par in stringiness in my tank, doesn't mean your observation is incorrect either.

I just am hesitant to say it is a fact because it hasn't been proven yet either way.

My RBTA is currently at 300 par and is crazy stringy. In my old tank, it was at 300 par, and was bubbly as all get out. The difference was flow for me. That was an observation in my tank only though, I wouldn't consider it a rule. If liveaquaria.com is entirely correct, then my RBTA should have fat tentacles right now.

Thanks Ty, it isn't in my tank. I wanted to add a green one to my collection and when I saw this it was labeled as green but I wasn't sure so I passed on it. Shame if all it needed was some time to color up maybe I should have brought it home. Hmmm wanted to help the seller identify.

I've never seen a GBTA in person that looked great. They have all been more brown than green. Some pictures look great, but I'm going with the Photoshop theory. I'm always adopting bleached corals and try to bring them back from the brink, but once I tried it with an anemone and had to give up after a while. Maybe my Smurf light wasn't high enough sad.png

Everything on the internet is true. They aren't allowed to lie...mellow.png

Did you just read my previous post? I lied about 3x on that and it's definitely on the internet. shifty.gif

I'm not sure which post you're referring to but all I saw were words ordained in truth, wrapped in a shining aura of truth, and standing on a mountain top like a beacon of truth for the world to see. book.gif

Sheesh, the debate over the bubble tips of BTAs has been raging on forums for decades. Especially in the anemone section of RC. And the verdict over hundreds of thousands of posts is......... UNKNOWN!! I don't think anyone has a solid reason, but people have their own hypothesis. I have seen BTA dominated tanks where some are bubbled and some are stringy, and they were all clones of each other under the same lighting. I think the lack of light or food is a valid point for when they expand, but again, no one knows for sure. It's kind of luck of the draw with them.

Sheesh, the debate over the bubble tips of BTAs has been raging on forums for decades. Especially in the anemone section of RC. And the verdict over hundreds of thousands of posts is......... UNKNOWN!! I don't think anyone has a solid reason, but people have their own hypothesis. I have seen BTA dominated tanks where some are bubbled and some are stringy, and they were all clones of each other under the same lighting. I think the lack of light or food is a valid point for when they expand, but again, no one knows for sure. It's kind of luck of the draw with them.

I've had 10 clones in my tank at the same time where half bubble, half don't, with some literally crowding next to each other. I think it's an animal by animal preference, even when they're clones of each other.

I would say light is "a" factor in whether or not a BTA decides to bubble but each one really does have it's preference as to what conditions it prefers to bubble in. There are brown BTAs and under strong actinic light they might produce a green haze but it's not anywhere close to green BTAs. The brown BTA clone line I give away goes back to a wild one purchased by a friend of mine in '97 and when it chooses to bubble the bubbles usually have a white band on them.

Yes, and to watch the movie Multiplicity.

Haha that's a throwback movie from the 90's. I remember watching it and thinking how hilarious Batman was!

One more reason not to even mess around with anemones. We only think we're in control.They're laughing at us!

Archived