Brownish Purple Stuff on sand

FarmerTy

I'm sure most of you are thinking... duh... cyano JeeperTy. doh.gif

I have some cyano in the tank from me draining the tank to catch the fish, and it definitely looks similar but not the same.

Diatoms? Nope, had it plenty with each new tank I started and this isn't it.

Dinos? Nope again, had them twice (which I'd never wish on my worst enemy) and have a good eye for them.

So what's left? Well, you tell me! Been wracking my brain trying to come up with an answer.

So it looks like cyano and acts like cyano, but here's the kicker, it covers my sand when the lights are off... yes I said that correctly... when the lights are off, it starts growing from 10am-4:30pm. Then when the lights come on, it starts to recede and die away... and in about 4 hours into the lighting period... it's mostly gone.

And the cyano right next to it by the clam... does the opposite. It's gone until the lights come on. Then it starts growing and gets thicker. When the lights go out, it starts to die off... typical of cyano.

Three thoughts come to mind:

1) bacterial

2) a low-light loving cyano? There seems to be enough ambient light in the room that this could be a possibility and there's a million strains of cyano.

3) a different type of dinos?

Any thoughts?

I don't ever vacuum my sand so I guess the answer would be no. I'm going to let it work it's way out of my system but just curious if anybody knew what the heck it was.

My lights come on in an hour but the growth has been starting to grow again as usual from 10am - now and almost covering up most of the central sandbed.

I thought I killed this stuff with the chemi clean but it's back. I thought it was cyano. I'm pretty sure this is what was on the frag plug of the ssc I bought. Maby we got it from the same thing!

Ty

Check out chemoheterotrophs, the most abundant type of chemotrophic organisms and include most bacteria, fungi and protozoa.. Makes for interesting reading

Andre

Source: Boundless. “Chemoautotrophs and Chemoheterotrophs.” Boundless Microbiology. Boundless, 14 Nov. 2014. Retrieved 09 Feb. 2015 from https://www.boundless.com/microbiology/textbooks/boundless-microbiology-textbook/microbial-metabolism-5/types-of-metabolism-41/chemoautotrophs-and-chemoheterotrophs-285-6153/

Archived