Adding fish gut check

FarmerTy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, after that dartfish is out are you gonna try Laser's in-tank AEFW treatment?

Have you been forum stalking me Jim? [emoji15]

I was going to incorporate his dipping regiment into my SPS dipping bag of tricks!

As always I'm fashinably late to a conversation. doh.gif

I say do it. It's always easier to add new fish to a tank when something has changed and the territories have been temporarily disturbed. If you do get rid of the micro clam, I know of a certain someone who is still looking for a frag. AND I read the clam book front to back.... just sayin.

I say go big or go home, Clarion angel!!

Brian already called clam dibs if I get the regal angel and it decides to start snacking on clam mantles. [emoji20]

I'm torn on the regal angel versus two flame wrasses. I'll still aim to replace the two mandarins I lost but I'm officially done with powder blues for sure.

Lol just making fish suggestions that are appropriate in price point as compared the tank they're going in as well as the equipment running it. I make no tacky assumptions of salary levels lol.

Ha, my tank costs $100, with $18 of silicone to reseal it. The stainless steel stand and sump were free. I bought my entire lighting setup over the years for around $170 because everybody was running in droves to LEDs and selling their MHs for cheap. I use $13 bulbs and don't do water changes. I've collected all my equipment used except my irreplaceable Apex system, which I bought new.

So based on that, I should buy chromis and damsels since it's more fitting. [emoji23]

Well, the goal was to have my tank fallow for all this time to guarantee the removal of the marine velvet. That dartfish has decided otherwise. I've been dosing hydrogen peroxide every day in hopes of minimizing the population of the dinoflaggelates that cause marine velvet... as it is deemed effective against the dinoflaggelates that cause "dinos" as well. I know this won't be the "cure", but hopefully it helps reduce their population during the dinospore stage and in the end, helps out in some way. The ideal would be to have the tank fallow but I don't think that's going to happen and I'm probably going to move on to Plan B soon.

Plan B... assume that removal of all the fish minus the dartfish has lowered the ability of the marine velvet dinoflaggelates to survive by removing almost all of their food source to break the reproductive cycle. Oddly, the dartfish has not shown any symptoms the entire time of the outbreak from the first signs of the disease until now. My hope is that it is somehow immune because the marine velvet should have killed it by now. If it is indeed somehow immune, than the dinospores have nothing to attach to and can never continue on to the tromont and tomont stages to produce more dinospores. The daily treatment of hydrogen peroxide has hopefully been wiping the numbers of any dinospores that are released anyways.

Anyway, long story short, if I still see no indication of marine velvet in the dartfish or I still can't catch him, I will end up going with Plan B, which has a lot of inherent risks, but the calculated risk is minimal enough for me to proceed forward with the plan.

Upon more research on the regal angelfish, I can mostly say goodbye to my zoas... perhaps some of my palys may not become a snack. I'll probably setup my sump as a frag tank and keep them down there for now until I can confirm that I truly don't have marine velvet down the line and then sell them off. It's time to be fully SPS. The other thing I stumbled upon is most have much greater success not QT'ing the fish as it doesn't handle the QT process well. Well after the whole flame fish/marine ich debacle... that makes no sense to me at all for not QT'ing but in this case, I feel it's worth the risk. At the worst, it dies and hopefully takes out the dartfish too (okay, not really as I don't like unneeded fish death of any kind) and I continue to leave the tank fallow and then reintroduce my fish down the line. If it lives and shows no signs of disease, then it gets a good head start to acclimation in the tank before the tang hoarde and friends gets reintroduced to the tank. I figure I should go ahead and add a mandarin goby pair as well to the tank with the regal angelfish at the same time as well. They don't QT well at all either so I figure why not go ahead and take all the risk in one shot.

If all adapt well and don't bring in the marine plague again, then I'll reintroduce my fish population back to the tank a few weeks after they've been in the tank for a bit and then monitor everyone's reactions with the new regal angelfish.

You sorry you asked yet Sascha?

[emoji16]

Archived