Do i need a sump?

CJohnson

So I have a 70 gallon tank and I am wondering if I need a sump or if there is an alternative.I am eventually going to get one but is there anything i can use until then?

(Btw im 14 so i am on a tight budget i have payed for everything i have)I had a fowlr tank for about 2 years and sold it and i want to step it up to a reef I just want a little advice from experts.I have read many books but I am a little confused on if i need a sump right now.

Thanks.

Ok, those are all relatively low maintenance species. As long as you dont mind the look of heaters and pipes in your tank, you dont need a sump. Sumps just give you extra space to house equipment without cluttering up your display tank.

It's not required but if you need to drill the tank, it is infinitely easier to do when the tank is empty. I've done a horizontal overflow on a full tank, but I wouldn't recommend doing it if you can avoid it.

Hi

So just like the FOWLR you are going to need some circulation and filtration. Set the tank up same as you did for the FOWLR as soft corals like the mushrooms will like the same water quality as you most likely had with the other tank. If you are trying to purchase items which you can utilize in a sump / display tank down the road then for the tank I would think about a power head like a Koralia 850gph for circulation in the display ($25-35). For filtration you could utilize a backpack style skimmer on both the display now and the sump later on ($100-125). Of course you know you'll need to drill the tank for drain and return line to utilize a sump. You can use a siphon type overflow box but most really try to avoid them as they are not the most reliable. And then you will need to plumb the overflow to the sump and buy a 750 gph return pump ($75 - 125). You'll need a heater and controller ($40) and you should have a good start. Look on the hardware for sale sections here on ARC. There is a lot of items for sale there for much less than the retail prices I quoted.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions

I understand that a siphon type is not reliable but I might have to go with that for for now(I dont have alot of money and my parents like me to pay for my tanks) will the siphons just randomly stop siphoning or get clogged?

Something like this might be a good alternative: http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

I think you can find similar ones on ebay for cheaper as well. The club has a hole saw and I think there's a few members that drill holes for a reasonable fee.

I'm personally not a huge fan of siphon type overflows. Too much risk during a power loss IMO, but I do know there's plenty of people that use them successfully.

Deluxe cpr overflow box is actually a siphon overflow box but it has a pump that keeps the water siphoning so you dont have to drill I might go with this.

Yeah, as long as you have an aqualifter going, they're pretty foolproof.

Welcome to the addiction! To answer your first question no, but there are advantages to having one. Here's a system I maintain that does not have a sump or any external filter or internal filter box:

I would encourage you to get Delbeek and Sprung's "The Reef Aquarium" Vol III it has a huge amount of info in one place and they are the only authors to explain the various filtering methodologies from the sumpless and pumpless system by Lee Chin Eng and Dr. Juabert to very elaborate systems like Dr. Adey's Mesocosom approach. I believe it's available on ibooks in the $20-$30 dollor range. Another excellent book is Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas", the Kindle version is just $10.

And keep in mind there are thousands and thousands of animals available but whatever you do there will be animals that won't like it.

Archived