Are Texas Trash Palys poisonous?

Rjohn

At the Frag Swap yesterday, someone was telling me about losing most of his fish. He said it was due to poisons thrown off by Texas Trash palys when he scraped some off his overflow. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I have some on an island and they don't seem to be spreading much. I included a picture. Can someone verify that these are trash palys?

post-795-0-66737200-1413813473_thumb.jpg

They look like trash palys to me Rjohn. While there isn't really a database of which types of zoas or palys have toxins or not, from other reefer's experiences over the last couple of years with this particular one, I think the evidence points to them releasing amounts of palytoxins when stressed or disturbed.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Texas trash is just an ambiguous name for most any less-colorful green or brown paly's. There's probably a hundred different ones I've seen using the name.

As far as poisoning the tank, it's definitely possible. Some paly's contain palytoxin which is extremely poisonous. I believe it's the second most toxic naturally occurring substance ever found, or something in that realm. But not all of them have it and the only way to know would be to have a very specialized lab test them. Best bet is to be very careful around any zoas and palys if you are fragging or doing anything that might damage them.

That was me you were talking to, and yes those look exactly like mine. They have spread over rocks, and climbed onto my filter box.

I highly suspect they were the cause of my massive fish loss, because that was the only thing I touched in the tank the day before the loss. I had taken out the filter box to scrape the palys off since they were blocking the intake ports. I scrapped them off, and rinsed the box off a few times with tap water. There were a few left on the box when I put it back in.

The next morning 2 tangs, dwarf angel, and 2 damsels were all dead. The corals, inverts, and 3 fish were still alive (the fish were breathing heavy). I did a few water changes, replaced the carbon, and things have been fine since.

So, while I don't have 100% proof they were the cause, it is probably likely.

I have the exact same type of trash palys, as well as the greener looking ones.

They release a slime that contains a toxin not only to fish, but to us too. Be careful handling them with out gloves if you have any open cuts.

I've disturbed, and scraped quite a few. Every time i do, i make sure to run carbon and do a water change afterwards.

knock on wood i haven't had any bad luck yet, but im always worried when messing with them that something similar to james scenario will happen. ( sorry to hear that man, friggin sucks)

don't be fooled! If they look like they're on an island now, they won't be long...they fly transcontinental!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bluemoon
  • Like 2

I've had problems a couple of times with a paly that is distinctly bluer than the picture you posted. Having some that look very much like yours I'm pretty sure the one I've had problems with is a separate variety. Unlike JamesL's experience I've only lost other corals when the palys excreted a lot of slime and not had any fish loss associated with them. Here's a study that looks at paly toxin, it is the second most deadly "non-protein" toxin known: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0018235

Friend of mine in Houston lost massive amounts of acros in the immediate days following large amount of trash paly removal and trimming, while not running carbon. He fragged off the remaining tips and moved them to another tank and they're growing fine