Newbie here that needs a book suggestion

Kiwi

Hi all- please excuse me if this is the wrong place to post but i'm just starting to learn about forums. I'm kinda in a bind time wise so wanted to ask for a suggestion.... i'm going shopping this weekend looking for a good book for the BEGINNER REEFER. There are SOOO many books out there so it's hard to choose. I'm looking for a basic book possibly with corals divided into easy, intermediate, advanced etc etc , hopefully with photos and parameters for the corals? Can anyone suggest a good book or bit of reference material ? I'm not new to saltwater tanks, just to coral/reefbuilding... thanks in advance! -Lisa

Well, If you are looking for simple answers you are in the wrong hobby. grin.png But a good book with a fairly acurate guide would be Julian Sprung's "Corals, A Quick Reference Guide". For a good book that explians the differrent type of reefs in the wild and where corals are found on reefs J.E.R.Veron's books are exceptional. His "Corals of the World" is pricey but "Corals of Australia and the Indo-Pacific is considerably cheaper. I would encourage you to get a copy od Delbeek and Sprung's "The Reef Aquarium" Vol III, I believe it's available on ibooks. Vol I and II are very good but Vol III focuses on how marine systems work.

In particlualr I would point out the nitrogen cycle on pg 255 and the discussion of various filtering methodologies. Often the nitrogen cycle for reefs is portrayed much the same as in freshwater aquaria being a simple circle. In reality it is a very complex process with multiple paths for excretion, mineralisation, assimulation and dissimulation. The various filtering methodologies attempt to facilitate tis in one way or another but vary from the very simple pumpless and skimmerless designs by Lee Chin Eng and Dr. Juabert to some very complex multi tank approaches.

One of the seeming paradoxes you will run into is a coral that is a weed for one aquarist another cannot grow so don't expect success just because a coral is labeled "easy" by most people.

And don't be afraid to ask questions.

+1 on Sprung's "Corals" book.

+1,000,000 on asking questions. This forum saved me from scrapping the whole thing several years ago and now I can't walk past my tank without stopping for another look. These guys know their stuff which is why I'm an ARC supported, but live in TN.

Although books are great and I fully support everyone reading and learning. Wouldn't a mentor from the mentored reef keeping section be just as if not more productive? Instead of having to slosh through reams of information you could just explain your goals and have someone help guide you in a way that would be applicable to your setup.

I agree 100% that you can not have too much information. But I was just making a suggestion that maybe a mentor would be helpful to apply the principles that are outlined in the books. I apologize I should have been clearer that I was stating that a mentor maybe helpful to bounce ideas off of for the direction of her tank in addition to books.

Archived