Bigsby's 215 Gallon Mixed Reef

bigsby

Holy spongodes that's a huge colony. I'm amazed at how nice your hammer/frogspawn/torch team is playing together. I've seen Aussie torches kill neighboring euphylia in no time in several friends tanks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope not. I might have to give that guy a little more room just in case. I think that since it isn't touching near the skeleton they should be fine but I may have to rearrange a bit to be safe.

We'll i don't mean to cause a panic. Saw it happen to Dustin pedretti when he had a gold torch next to a big wall hammer. Torch won. If yours already come in contact then I bet they're fine. Every instance I've seen happens upon introducing a torch. Not so much a result of a long running battle

• 1 month later...

I have been meaning to update but have been so busy I can barely find time to take care of everything.

I did add a calcium reactor and a dosing pump.

Unfortunately I had a Sherman RBTA go thru a powerhead and I had a couple of large pieces get some stn but I am almost certain I have that under control. I had to cut two of them into a bunch of pieces but I was considering to that anyways so it just forced me to go ahead and make that decision.

I had one of my ballast go it so I had to get that replaced.

I added two Build my led's to my display to add an some supplemental lighting and to make the halide/led transition a bit easier on everything.

Also, I have been trying to sell off or trade quite a few of the older/more common pieces in my display so that I can make room to move a bunch of the corals out of my sump up into the display. I still have about 60+ frags in there and quite a few decent sized colonies in there.

I also moved a giant 12-14" blue maxima clam into the main tank but can't really find a good place to display it so I may trade it as well or reaquascape.

I've acquired a ton of new corals that I need to get some good pics of but the majority of them are sitting in my sump and seem to be loving the LED's down there so I am not going to bother them for a while.

I did replace my sump with one that was a bit larger and had more space for corals and moved my old sump to my frag tank so that I can put some frags/colonies under there as needed.

I picked up two AI Hydras that will likely be lighting for that sump.

As far as photos I haven't taken any recently because I have just been too busy with the Holidays and my daughters Birthday but I should have some time this next week or two.

I'll update soon if I can get some decent photos of everything.

Possibly both. Well not full on led only in display. I'm looking into running a combo of the T12, metal halide, and led into the display. I can't let the halides go. At least not yet. I have the 3 AI Sols now and I also have the 2 AI Hydras so I might stagger those wedged in between the T12's and if I can find a way to fit the metal halides in there as well then I will and run them for 3-4 hours per day on a 14k bulb. I might have to go to a double ended setup just for space.

As of right now it's for transfer between the sump and the display. When I bring things out if the sump I can just cut off one halide on one side and then switch to cutting off the middle one after a day or so and then get back up to all three. I am still experimenting with what works best but all of my SPS have such different needs that it's diffcicult to tell what is having the best effect on them. We will see and I'll try to update my findings.

Yeah I have considered that. But I think it will be down the road a bit if I do. I have never really been a fan of those spectrums. They just arent the look I like to see when I am viewing the tank

• 3 months later...

Here is a crappy shot I just took. I didn't clean the glass or anything. Just to prove it hasn't crashed. Lol. I'll try to get some quality pics this weekend.

The majority of my sps are still in my grab tank since they are doing so well in there. I hate to move them but I will when I get time to punt them. I just need to do some rearranging and I am contemplating going to LEDs.

I am currently running the 3x250 watt halides and the T12 Super Actinics along with 2 BML strips.

I have 6 AI sols and 2 AI hydras that I would like to try and see how they do.

Im running a 4 bulb T5, a BML, and a current LED strip on the frag tank. Im always weary of transferring to the halides and hate to stress anyrhing out.

Since my last update I added a Neptune Apex Gold, a battery backup, and I have 2 MP40's I will be incorporating somehow. Other than that I haven't had a lot happening. Just been letting things grow and cutting a few frags here and there for a few people that have made requests when they come by my house.

post-1459-0-83943600-1428699913_thumb.jp

Can't wait to see it after the frags get promoted to the DT

I'll probably transfer 5-10 over at a time and sell of a few more of the ther corals I have to make room. I have a lot in there already just have to do a bit of rearranging as well as some evictions.

Can't wait to see it after the frags get promoted to the DT

I'll probably transfer 5-10 over at a time and sell of a few more of the ther corals I have to make room. I have a lot in there already just have to do a bit of rearranging as well as some evictions.

That's like 20 weeks of moving frags :)

5-6 months of moving frags sounds a lot like work. I bet bigsby moves them all in 2 days :)

Lol. Thanks for calling me out.

I was actually just about to update and say I moved at least 36 frags over as well a few decent sized colonies.

Sorry for the crappy sideways pics. I wasn't thinking when I took them and the size gets reduced when I rotate them in my phone before posting.

I moved all but a few off of these 2 racks.

post-1459-0-50058000-1428985197_thumb.jp

post-1459-0-91872600-1428985205_thumb.jp

post-1459-0-06452600-1428985214_thumb.jp

post-1459-0-18394100-1428985224_thumb.jp

And these were on the lower racks and got placed as well. Was hard to get a photo before and couldn't really get a good one while acclimating or one in the tank cause the lights were already on actinic only.

But soon enough...

post-1459-0-84824200-1428985241_thumb.jp

post-1459-0-51447900-1428985262_thumb.jp

Archived