Frag tank nutrient control

Jason & Amber

So Amber and I are going to set up a frag/grow out tank for corals. I would like to experiment with a refugium for the nutrient export. question is do you think a refugium would export all the nutrients I need to for a grow out tank with everything SPS to Softies in it?

I don't think you'll have any issues. Since its a frag tank, I would assume no livestock so your nutrients would be pretty low anyways. Macro should be sufficient for nutrient export.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I know it's not what you asked but what about something like a sixline wrasse? Generally pretty good pest eaters but often too aggressive for most peoples taste. Seems like a small but useful and attractive frag tank fish that would add just enough bioload.

It's not so much a utility fish as much as if it shows it's face our other clown goes after him. But I do like the idea of a utility fish instead. I was planning on a 2'x2'x10" I know a yellow tang won't work in it, will the 6 line or do y'all have any other ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

six line would be my choice as well. I've got one in my DT and haven't had any aggression issues out of him. If you wind up with any algae issues, a salt water molly would be a great choice.

if six line isnt your flavor, try a coris. Same pest consumption, with an easier temperament.

Live Aquaria says that fish needs 125 gallon minimum. Am I looking at the wrong fish? Red Coris Wrasse?

Red coris wrasse get huge! The yellow and green coris wrasses stay smaller. be wary of green coris wrasses, they decimate hermits and snails (from my experience).

I am going to toss another option of leopard wrasses in for pest eaters. My leopard is always searching for pests to chow down on. They are a little more difficult to get on pellets but once they do, one of the best fish to have IMO.

+1 on leopard wrasse if you're skilled enough. They're not for novice hobbyists but are beyond beautiful and they're extremely smart fish. Only concern I'd have is they really need fine grained sand to burrow in and most frag tanks don't have sand. My leopard is perfectly happy and comfortable, eats pellets with the best of them an is fat. But she still burrows in the sand to sleep. Like clockwork every day. 5 min after the lights go out. Same spot too. Right under the prism favia. If they can't burrow they'll get real stressed and may have difficulty eating.

Archived