The Seneye aquarium monitor

Lamont

Does anyone have one of these yet? I would like to know if they are as accurate as the reviews say. If so i may me getting one this week. It measures PAR and LUX as well as other parameters of your tank. You cant beat the price also.

Her is the link to a review.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/seneye

http://www.danireef.com/2012/11/13/our-in-depth-review-of-the-seneye-reef-system/

Here is the website too.

http://www.seneye.com/

post-1245-0-46938400-1400675940_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-17711100-1400681754_thumb.jp

Pretty cool product. It fills a different space than the current reef controllers (i.e., no control, only monitoring) and has some features that they do not (PAR/Kelvin/NH3) monitoring. Before it gets too much hype, I'd be interested in which particular types of probes it is using and their upkeep/accuracy/precision. Additionaly the consumable fee kinda sucks. I guess apex/DA users still have consumable probes as well, we just don't HAVE to pay the fee to have it operate if we don't want.

I suspect we see seneye make a move to add control to their equation and the reef controller market adding the PAR sensors to their lineup. What i would really love to see is apex add variable voltage INPUT so that we could add our own probes (namely PAR).

Pretty cool product. It fills a different space than the current reef controllers (i.e., no control, only monitoring) and has some features that they do not (PAR/Kelvin/NH3) monitoring. Before it gets too much hype, I'd be interested in which particular types of probes it is using and their upkeep/accuracy/precision. Additionaly the consumable fee kinda sucks. I guess apex/DA users still have consumable probes as well, we just don't HAVE to pay the fee to have it operate if we don't want.

I suspect we see seneye make a move to add control to their equation and the reef controller market adding the PAR sensors to their lineup. What i would really love to see is apex add variable voltage INPUT so that we could add our own probes (namely PAR).

Here is another review by advanced aquarist. They state that its on par with some of the best PAr meters.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/seneye

Might be good for freshwater tanks or ponds.

THere are 3 versions Reef, pond and Fresh.

I saw that there were three versions, but I don't think it's useful for reef tanks. Some people like gadgets. I wrote out a response to why I have this opinion but then I deleted it because it didn't promote constructive conversation.

Might be good for freshwater tanks or ponds.

THere are 3 versions Reef, pond and Fresh.

I saw that there were three versions, but I don't think it's useful for reef tanks. Some people like gadgets. I wrote out a response to why I have this opinion but then I deleted it because it didn't promote constructive conversation.

Please give me your opinion Sascha. I have a gorgeous tank and its very simple. I have no sump, no controller, no skimmer. Just a canister filter and a Hydra LED. I dont need to control my reef just monitor it and do water changes. This product helps me monitor the the few things that i need to maintain it. I also see a lot of people on ARC asking to borrow a PAR meter for coral placement. I think this is a win win situation. You get PAR and LUX readings as well as a few extras for under $200.

All drains lead to the ocean. Even if I were in a place to criticize someone's choices in equipment, I would not openly. Victoly does bring up a good point. If it's been out since 2011 then I suspect that there it does not replace anything in the market at this price point.

I'm not sure how good of a metric that is, considering the difficulty even the best PAR meters have with Blue LEDs (they undermeasure by a fixed percentage). For MH bulbs, i could see how it might be more helpful, but say the bulk of your PAR comes in at the 10k range and doesn't shift much, while your 20k range shifts a ton as bulbs burn. It'd be interesting to experiment, but I don't know how useful longterm par tracking is.

im more intersted in the PAR because im about to set up my tank peninsula style. I would like to get an idea of where the PAR is in certain sections of my tank for coral placement. It would also be intersting to see if my LED's cloud function reduces the PAR in increments or a steep drop.

just out of curiosity, why do you want to monitor PAR? So you know when to replace your bulbs? Just so you know that your lights have come on/gone off?

You could take a PAR measurement of new bulbs and then measure them every so often to make sure they are producing a PAR that is acceptable for whatever coral you are keeping in a particular location. For this you would probably use it about once or twice a year unless one of your corals is acting up and you think it may be a factor.

Some use PAR as a measurement of how many LEDs they should use on a particular tank because of the lack of research regarding LEDs and coral growth. For this I commonly see a recipe for success of 100 PAR at the bottom.

thanks guys.

edit: I know PAR is important to know...once...occasionally...something. but i don't see the value to constant monitoring unless you are never home when your lights are on to see that they are working. possibly to see if they are fading away. but the rest of the monitoring is fine. none of the other things are things you will look at your tank and say "hey, my NH3 seem a little high" or whatever, unless things look unhappy.

thanks guys.

edit: I know PAR is important to know...once...occasionally...something. but i don't see the value to constant monitoring unless you are never home when your lights are on to see that they are working. possibly to see if they are fading away. but the rest of the monitoring is fine. none of the other things are things you will look at your tank and say "hey, my NH3 seem a little high" or whatever, unless things look unhappy.

Agreed. Neat functionality but probably not a useful metric in the long run to track these two parameters. The required monthly plan killed it for me back when they first came out a couple years ago.

I agree that PAR may be important to know once. There is something to knowing which areas of the tank high light (or low light) corals can be placed and where they cannot. It could save you having to move corals about the tank due to lighting issues. However, light is only part of why a coral finds a particular spot acceptable.

One of the first things I thought of when I saw this product is that it goes into the water to measure water level, pH and temp. Does anyone else see a problem with this? Won't it stop working once the censors get covered with purple? It doesn't look razorblade friendly doh.gif

One of the first things I thought of when I saw this product is that it goes into the water to measure water level, pH and temp. Does anyone else see a problem with this? Won't it stop working once the censors get covered with purple? It doesn't look razorblade friendly doh.gif

I feel your concern. Maybe thats why they have those monthly interchangeable cartridges. I didnt think about the build up of calcium.

They have a cleaning solution you can dip it in. Think its fun item and it might help reefer avoid overheat, underheatig ect for a cheaper price then a full on controller.

Archived