BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

Ty tell me one good reason I should hold out the months it will take to get a new MTC minical, instead of spending 1/2 the amount and buying a used Korallin next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because you don't even have SPS yet. [emoji14]

Real answer, they're both comparable except that the Korallin's capacity is slightly exaggerated, 400 gals my butt. You remember my old 125-gallon... when it was fully stocked... it had a hard time keeping up. Now, I will concede that I had a ton of montis and SPS in that tank when it maxed out so I'll give it 200-250 gal rating, similar to the Minical.

Both built the same as far as quality construction but I'll say at the end of the day, I'd go with the minical and wait if it were me because:

1) the parts are easily replaceable with a trip to Home Depot. If you break anything on the Koralin, expect to pay at least $80 just for the parts.

2) Customer service. I called MTC when I first got the used unit and he ran me through it, even though he didn't make a dime off me. He stands behind his product.

3) Built in secondary reaction chamber. My pH was 7.8-8.0 with my Koralin. My current pH is 8.3-8.5.

4) Pumps on minical not on lid. As if the lids of CaRXs aren't annoying enough to remove, but adding a good sized pump on top of the Koralin doesn't make it more fun.

Patience sir. [emoji6]

Compelling enough for me. I'm not in a hurry but don't want to pass on a deal either way. And I'm not totally sps free. I have a purple stylo colony no less than 8" in diameter, and my overflow is nearly covered in non-removable encrusted growth from montipora spongodes and rainbow montipora. Not a ton in the tank but definitely enough to make a small dent without supplementing. I can get by for a while with kalkwasser in ato thojgh

I'll be going either geo or MTC. But with the rate the geo is going up in price, MTC probably going to be the way. The 612 was $299 one year ago on premium aquatics, today $369. Massive jump. Only changes are the lid is now white, and it uses a sicce instead of an eheim (a downgrade in my opinion). And it's a MAP priced item based on information on their website

e1320830a8b86c303043f423f902e34e.jpg

9fb81c1ccd1304269fc9f81c95f48915.jpg

a929d246bc37fd582a5f35ab30989a5b.jpg

Put a little polish on the regulator today. I have had visions of a mirror shine finish but this thing is insanely heavy and my hands were cramping after about 20 minutes of polishing. I think im giving up on mirror finish

• Like 3

Thank you sir! Of course SS would have been nice, but that adds significantly to cost for mostly aesthetic reasons. This will definitely do, though I've been a bad buyer and havent leak tested it yet. Still need to get the spare CO2 tank filled, as the primary tank is in use on the planted tank.

I won't hate too much on the carbon doser, as some really well respected and successful reefers use it. I do think the only reason Aquariumplants.com is able to continue selling it is predominantly to reefers for their calcium reactors who are just not generally aware of a better option. Its been spread among the national forums that the carbon doser is the pinnacle of regulators. You RARELY hear of planted tank people using them, instead you find most those hobbyists are at the extremes of the spectrum. Either using ultra cheap paintball co2 regulators, or milwaukee regulators, or at the other extreme really nice custom builds. You can just get so much better of a regulator that is more reliable, longer lasting, easier to use, and less expensive all together.

Another high end regulator you see thrown around is the GLA SS dual stage regulators. They're very nice...but...cost prohibitive and no better than a custom build for 1/3-1/2 the cost. The beauty of a custom regulator build is all you need is an ebay account, teflon tape, and a couple crescent wrenches. It's not like building LEDs where you need some level of soldering and electrical work skill. Or stand building where you need to know how to use power tools and understand wood working. A regulator build is literally just taking the parts and screwing them together. No form, talent, skill, or technique involved. Just get yourself well known and trusted components, and put them together. Easy as that. It's like 10 pieces or less. Anyhow. I've ranted enough on regulators lately. I like this one just fine and it should fit the bill nicely, and at an attractive price

Thank you sir! Of course SS would have been nice, but that adds significantly to cost for mostly aesthetic reasons. This will definitely do, though I've been a bad buyer and havent leak tested it yet. Still need to get the spare CO2 tank filled, as the primary tank is in use on the planted tank.

I won't hate too much on the carbon doser, as some really well respected and successful reefers use it. I do think the only reason Aquariumplants.com is able to continue selling it is predominantly to reefers for their calcium reactors who are just not generally aware of a better option. Its been spread among the national forums that the carbon doser is the pinnacle of regulators. You RARELY hear of planted tank people using them, instead you find most those hobbyists are at the extremes of the spectrum. Either using ultra cheap paintball co2 regulators, or milwaukee regulators, or at the other extreme really nice custom builds. You can just get so much better of a regulator that is more reliable, longer lasting, easier to use, and less expensive all together.

Another high end regulator you see thrown around is the GLA SS dual stage regulators. They're very nice...but...cost prohibitive and no better than a custom build for 1/3-1/2 the cost. The beauty of a custom regulator build is all you need is an ebay account, teflon tape, and a couple crescent wrenches. It's not like building LEDs where you need some level of soldering and electrical work skill. Or stand building where you need to know how to use power tools and understand wood working. A regulator build is literally just taking the parts and screwing them together. No form, talent, skill, or technique involved. Just get yourself well known and trusted components, and put them together. Easy as that. It's like 10 pieces or less. Anyhow. I've ranted enough on regulators lately. I like this one just fine and it should fit the bill nicely, and at an attractive price

I feel so ill-informed with my carbon doser. Luckily, I do have the ability to turn wrenches. spiteful.gif

"No form, talent, skill, or technique involved." -Winner winner... I can do this!

You sir might have found me my next project.

• Like 1

That's understandable. You're busy stocking people's tanks across the state with top shelf acros. Hard to research replacing a piece of equipment that hasn't failed you yet lol

How's that slimer doing?

Edited by Bpb

That's understandable. You're busy stocking people's tanks across the state with top shelf acros. Hard to research replacing a piece of equipment that hasn't failed you yet lol

How's that slimer doing?

Haha, that Houston trip was a fun one this past weekend. Yes, the slimer made it and is awkwardly sitting in my frag tank right now. What a monster... I may have to frag it just to keep it in QT for a bit and perhaps glue it back together when it finally makes it into the DT a couple months later.

You know how I feel about regulators.......with my sgt5000

The carbon Doser regulators aren't bad. They are just horribly overpriced IMO. Same with the GLA but if your not in the planted community you may not know the custom regulators exist.

I run a GLA paintball reg on my 5g pico planted, it's a bear to adjust but very stable once it's dialed in. Sorry for the digression.

The sgt500 is one of the few regulators I would buy if I found one. Even though I don't need it they're the best of the best.

Here's a few Zoa pictures from today.

4df53dbe63d0e97cf0c6300f50becc09.jpg

24b3d47a739cd639a2d365369f97f9b3.jpg

2d81b8ee0a900aaae0c4c6a89495a434.jpg

3a2294b4b1ead76eb4198e43edbe5c1a.jpg

fd69070ec3e67d9b128ead8462dd50b0.jpg

7d6f3fc3a366b8710e44cd6dadee330d.jpg

3c1089d3ce5761e847ec5791652a5630.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Close to a month since my last update. Loving these lights. At the risk of beating a dead horse, I know all forms of light work well if you are skilled enough, but just like Ty told me years ago, T5HO produces colors and growth with minimal effort. I've never believed it more than I do now. In the last month of changing over I've seen a positive response in my livestock in such a short period of time. Its very motivating. I've been talking with another reefer from Houston who has decades in the field and has a ton of advice to offer who has helped me fine tune my bulb combo not only in color, but bulb placement and it has paid dividends. I'll be sticking with this bulb combo after seeing the positive results from it. I'm getting growth and colors from my SPS that i've not had in my previous 4 years.

I've yet to set up a true quarantine, but after multiple dips and mounting to their forever homes I've started restocking on acropora. In record time (for me) I'm already seeing encrusting and new branches sprouting (after only a week mounted to their long term spots. Things are definitely heading in the right direction. Otherwise the tank is generally humming along. Parameters are being held well via Kalkwasser right now and a tiny amount of GFO use. Yesterday I checked in at 7.8 dKH, 410 ppm calcium, 0.25 ppm NO3, and 0.07 ppm PO4 (before loading in fresh GFO).

Need some CARX advice. I was going to go with MTC, but they're temporarily shutting down production for at least 3-4 months he estimated and not taking any new orders. Build time after that (if they dont extend the no-build period longer) will be another month or two out because he's so backed up, its just not a feasable option for me. I have had multiple cross posted WTB ads up on every forum I'm a part of with ZERO replies. I seem to remember seeing CARX up for sale constantly but now that I'm ready to buy one I can't seem to find one. I am avoiding the Korallin (which i see so many of available actually) because for the money I feel like I can get a better built-easier to tune unit. Ive been talking with Jason and Luke at premium aquatics about getting a Geo reactor based on overwhelming positive reviews.

I hate that they switched over to Sicce Syncra pumps for their reactors instead of the Eheim hobby pumps they previously used. Sicce pumps have caused me problems in the past and their customer service is terrible. Not to mention theyre cheaper than Eheims, yet Geo has increased their MAP pricing by almost 30% since changing over to Sicce. Profit margins coming their way I guess but I don't want a Sicce pump. Theyve said that Geo can custom make them a 612 reactor to accept the Eheim pumps, and theyd include one but it would run me $400, which seems steep to me considering the 618 is only $420. I know the 618 would be overkill for my tank, and it's 24" tall (giving me only 1" clearance to the very top of the stand, so I'd have to practically tilt it sideways to get it out to change media. I'm kind of torn between just getting the bigger unit and hoping space wont be an issue, or trying my luck with the stock 612 unit with Sicce pump and hoping I have better luck this time. Jason at PA agreed with me that the Eheim pumps are more robust, and that they've had ALOT more complaints about Sicce Syncra pumps than they have Eheim.

Any ideas on what would be the better plan? I'm sure the 612 unit would serve me fine and my 90 gallon would never outgrow it no matter how much I packed in the tank, but I don't want to deal with another exploded impeller in under a year, potentially sidelining my CARX for a week or more waiting for a costly replacement. I want to set it up, tune it, and not worry about components breaking. They still have several 618 units in stock with the Eheim pump connections, but no more 612 units hence the need for a custom build. They reached out to Geo for me and were infomed that they aren't interchangeable and don't produce/include the connections to take the Eheim pumps anymore.

Here's a couple sectional shots using the new bulb combo.

1669e1756f7420756afe503f26d266ad.jpg

a8cebe45e2000aa14fd2bf0b55138f52.jpg

d7564a5b85f881b7d14541f4ad79b332.jpg

Not sure what this one is but it's my favorite so far. Was told it's an "Aussie tabling acro" which to me sounds like it was an unnamed mariculture but it's got a nice combo of colors

336ae8bd94029dcfec0e947d9f90cbf8.jpg

My largest of the new frags is the red planet. The night time PE is pretty intense on it. It's fuzzy in the daytime but at night it goes wild in the dark

9d88eb9a8e9592c73cee235bb20893b2.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you're having such success with the T5s and happy you didn't give up on the SPS game.

That is quite the long wait time for an MTC reactor. Geo's have a great rep and I would lean to the 618 personally as Eheims are bulletproof. That being said, if I didn't have an overwhelming SPS population yet, I'd just keep waiting for the MTC or keep looking for a used one. I see them pop up on occasion on the larger forums.

If you want even richer colors, pop that nitrate level up to 5 ppm and you'll be pleasantly surprised.