BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

• 2 weeks later...

This truly is the strangest case of bad SPS luck that I've seen. The fact that you have great luck with literally every type of coral (including SPS) other than Acropora really makes me think that its something specifically targeting the genus, as others said here. Have you done that Triton test yet? I'm really curious to see what the result is. I really do think you'll find despite all the heartache that the resolve to this issue is just in reach, considering throughout this tank's timeline you have eliminated every other variable that could be affecting the corals.

Also do you run carbon on the tank?

If it's any consolation, your tank is still pretty awesome looking.

Edited by GiddyORION

Thanks bud. No carbon or triton test yet. I have done 80 gallons of water change in the last couple weeks. Everything else is still looking pretty solid. I'm just making sure to stay up with feedings and regular maintenance, letting what I have grow in. It's kind of flying auto pilot right now. On the downside. My router went down so I had to get a new one and now I cannot get my wireless bridge to connect to it, so I've been without apex fusion for a week now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain! That was me a year ago when I had my 50 gallon running. Corals would be doing fine, and then I would come home from a trip and 1/4 of them were RTNing or already dead. Tearing down my tank, baking my rock and starting new, and upgrading to a 120 gallon was the best thing I did. Now my only coral deaths come from weaker wild colonies or frags from wild colonies. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle an upgrade and hold off on acros until you can restart fresh.

• 2 months later...

Been a couple months since updating. Not much too overly exciting. This morning I changed my bulb combo to the following

Front:

Blue+

Coral+

True actinic

Blue+

True actinic

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

Rear

I removed the 6500k and the purple+. I loved the look for acros and other sps but I'm trying to collect more lps lately and I feel this will offer me a bit better coloration, perhaps a touch less par, and less reds. I only operate 6 out of 8 bulbs during peak photoperiod. I basically just use channel 1 for a 2 hour dawn and 2 hour dusk, and then channel 2 for the 8 hour peak photoperiod.

I also replaced my heater proactively. My previous heater was 5 years old. Still working faithfully but I figured best not to tempt fate.

In the process I noticed my bubbletip had split. The clones are right next to each other so I never noticed.

I'll likely pick up a few gorgs today. Nothing much changed. What I currently have is doing pretty well. No updated pics yet.

Side note. My router went out so I replaced it, and my apex firmware is out of date. It hasn't connected to the web in a couple months now. Besides updating the firmware I'm not sure how to get it to connect again. I seem to remember kind of stumbling on it with my last router lol. I hate calling tech support

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear from another college station local! I've kind of fallen off the map on meeting other local hobbyists. Made very good friends with several though. I'll pass on the anemone though. Not real big on nems. I have the one just to keep my clown fish from misbehaving but one is plenty lol

Good to hear from another college station local! I've kind of fallen off the map on meeting other local hobbyists. Made very good friends with several though. I'll pass on the anemone though. Not real big on nems. I have the one just to keep my clown fish from misbehaving but one is plenty lol

Haha ok thanks!

Haha ok thanks!

Do you have a tank thread somewhere on here?

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes! Nitrate up to 32 ppm. PO4 up at a rip roaring 0.43 ppm. Yikes indeed. I haven't run any kind of reactors in two years. I may need to hop online and order a reactor and actually use all this gfo I'm hording. Not exactly going for an ULNS, but PO4 this high cannot be good

Yikes! Nitrate up to 32 ppm. PO4 up at a rip roaring 0.43 ppm. Yikes indeed. I haven't run any kind of reactors in two years. I may need to hop online and order a reactor and actually use all this gfo I'm hording. Not exactly going for an ULNS, but PO4 this high cannot be good

Holy moly! Call the nutrient police! [emoji61]

Lol we will be saying it together. Number 3 for me is due in 2 weeks lol. Somehow I think you'll be able to keep up with your husbandry

• Like 1

Man oh man that is so tempting. I don't think my calcium reactor is cooking quite enough media for that to work. If I go more than 1 month without a water change things start looking bad. Get stn on the pocillopora and birdsnests. Acans and lobos start shrinking up. They perk up and improve almost instantly with a water change

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Woohoo. For the first time in a long time, maybe 2 years or more, I'm running a gfo reactor again. Phosphates staying up in the 0.4+ppm range and not coming down with water changes or careful feeding.

I am starting slow. 5 tablespoons of HC GFO for my 83 gallons total water volume. Hopefully I don't make anything mad

You'll be surprised to hear I don't actually own one. I should though. I have a small amount of detritus down there but not much. My intra sump flow is actually pretty turbulent. My return pump is way over sized so I have about 500 gph pointed directly down at the bottom and it keeps any detritus from settling

Woohoo. For the first time in a long time, maybe 2 years or more, I'm running a gfo reactor again. Phosphates staying up in the 0.4+ppm range and not coming down with water changes or careful feeding.

I am starting slow. 5 tablespoons of HC GFO for my 83 gallons total water volume. Hopefully I don't make anything mad

Another option may be Lanthaum Chloride (pretty sure I misspelled that). Either option would work but LaCl will be a little more cost efficient.

What drove up the PO4 and NO3?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Totally missed this reply. I think it was just months and months of heavily over feeding everything. It's coming down though. PO4 was 0.22 ppm and nitrate was 16 ppm the other day. Trying not to take it too fast

I should elaborate on that.  I may have addressed it at some point in the build, I may not have.  So in the first year of this tank I ran GFO intermittantly here and there, fed sparingly, and kept an enormous amount of chaeto and grape caulerpa in the fuge, as well as having a healthy amount of red turf in the display.  After months of reading zero on PO4 and NO3, I decided to just remove one aspect of the tank and tossed all the macro algae.  Around that time my urchins absolutely decimated all of the red turf in the display.  

I really took the KISS approach and stripped the system down to big skimmer, calcium reactor, lots of flow, and thats it. Over time as feedings became heavier and  heavier, with the complete lack of any conventional PO4 and NO3 control methods present (besides occasional water changes, which we all know is a horrible method for controlling nutrients) my nutrients began to climb steadily.  I'd see NO3 come in at 10-20 occasionally, and PO4 creep up to 0.1 and I'd do a couple big water changes and back off feedings, but those are only temporary fixes.  My tank is probably overstocked by most standards.  

I think as the last year has gone on, the PO4 present in food and fish waste has just accumulated in the water column to the point its bonding to the rock and sand, and leeching back out constantly, keeping heavily elevated levels in the water column, but zero algae to speak of (neither nuisance nor ornamental) to remove it.  NO3 is easier to maintain.  Reduced feedings will show dramatic and immediate effects in that parameter for me.  Cut back and double rinse frozen foods, and suddenly in one weeks time NO3 is half what it was previously, without a water change to help.  PO4 not so.  Its a bit more persistent, so I decided to employ a GFO reactor again to lower it and keep it appropriate.  Due to my heavy stock, I cant not feed, so I dont think the KISS method is really doable for me long term without nutrients spiraling out of control.  

Am I seeing problems with coral?  Eh...on and off.  I can't definitively say its a PO4 related issue but I know conventional wisdom says my levels are way too high so its an easy thing to address.

As far as Nitrate goes.  I'll continue to monitor it.  If i really feel like I'm struggling with it much longer I may try the probidio bacteria vials.  I really dont want to mess with a biopellet reactor again as that just adds yet another bit of complexity I don't care to fiddle with again.  

That's my somewhat educated analysis of my tank's current state and how it got there

• Like 1