470 Gallon Mixed Reef

nuxx

Bandit just ate some PE Mysis with selcon biggrin.png

Also looks like he ate most of the mussel.

In other news, looks like the Hawaiian Cleaner is on his last legs. I don't get it, he was eating strong. Just didn't come out this morning, now he's upside down barely breathing... sucks...

Most be something with these fish past providing them with good water and getting them to eat. Guessing stress...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some drama going on over in the display...

Noticed two white dots on the Yellow Belly Blue Tang last night and some scratching.

Also noticed the Black Tang had a nice rip on his dorsal fin.

Naturally I thought it was ich (scratching, white dots). Would be pretty hard to explain how it got in the display though.

All fish QTed and been forever since I added a new fish. Fish do 15 days of Paraguard and Prazi (3 rounds) and 4 weeks of Cupramine.

All coral and inverts go 72+ days in a fishless system. 90 days on the last round.

Now I can spot ich across the room on other people's tanks. I've looked at our fish for probably 3 hours over the past 2 days. I can't say either way. Ich normally is extremely obvious to me, but any white mark and scratching has me worried.

Today the spots are gone, just white splotches. Will still scratch, but only when stressed i.e. me following him around with a camera or the Black Tang is near. Black Tang also has a nice scrape behind one of his fins.

Pretty annoying, wish I could figure this out 100% either way.

If ich, it'll let me ease up on QTing, mainly trying to just stop really bad stuff from getting in and getting fish used to captivity and eating. Basically no Cupramine and just do Paraguard/Prazi for the full 30 days. Would add fish to the frag tank and just make sure nothing wipes them out when new coral and inverts is added and held before going into the display.

If not, then I'll stick with Nazi QT...

Video from this morning:

The GHA has stopped and is slowly disappearing... but I have a Sea Hare and 40 large Mexican Turbos waiting out QT in the frag tank sad.png

In other news the Bandit is eating pretty much all live and frozen / prepared foods now smile.png

So this happened...

12172015_tank_teardown.jpg

12172015_yb_blue_tang_frag.jpg

This morning without the Yellow Bellied Blue Tang, everyone was out and eating... hmmm...

Couldn't really get the rock right, might end up buying some more shelf pieces...

So this happened...

12172015_tank_teardown.jpg

12172015_yb_blue_tang_frag.jpg

This morning without the Yellow Bellied Blue Tang, everyone was out and eating... hmmm...

Couldn't really get the rock right, might end up buying some more shelf pieces...

Jeez! Next time hit me up! I caught all my fish in an hour except for my leopard wrasse with this thing.

Not reward in that ;)

Yeah Seth already gave me an earful about not using a fish trap :(

I believe my exact words were.

"You could have driven to Ty's, got the fish trap, stopped by Central market, picked up a growler, driven home and caught the blue tang in 3 minutes and then spent the rest of the time drinking beer."

Just saying. You have to be lazier :)

LOL...

Two days later no signs of spots on anyone.

Was never sure if ich was in the tank. Just some scratching by the YB Blue and a white mark here or there. Ich is easy to spot and after hours looking I couldn't be 100% either way.

Maybe just aggression and scalpel wounds...

The fish were probably pranking you because they know how paranoid you are about ich. Hey blue... roll in the sand and let some of it stick to you... then swim around in front of the boss and keep rubbing against the rocks... It'll be hilarious! Oh crap... Abort abort... he's got the net! Nooo... Blue!!!

More likely they were pranking blue to get him banished. Nuxx did say the other fish were hiding but not stressed when he was chasing blue around. They were probably like, "finally he is gone, paaaarrrrtttttyyyy"

Geeze...I'd hate to think how boring this club would be if everyone was serious and professional in all their postings!!!!! dribble.gif

Careful what seeds you plant Jimbo, it might devolve into a long name calling debate between those who want to protect intellectual property rights versus those who could care less and just want to buy the cheapest Chinese-made knockoff they can find .... yawn.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on RC that you are doing your WC via DoS. Are you still using this technique and how is it working for you?

Yes I'm still using it.

Doing around 3 gallons a day, and it's been rock solid smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit going on...

Added the Copperbanded Butterfly and Crescent Tail Fairy Wrasse to the tank a few days ago after QT and a few days in an acclimation box.

The CBB was harassed a ton by the Black and Yellow Tangs and kept to the upper corners of the tank.

The Crescent Tail is less than an inch looked like a snack to the Crosshatches. They tried to eat him a few times the first few hours.

I put a large mirror on one side of the tank and now the Black and Yellow Tangs are too busy with it to notice the CBB. The CBB has now came down from the corner of the tank and hangs out in the rocks during the day. In the morning and night he is out more on the right hand side of the tank.

I also added the Bandit Angel to acclimation box last night. With the tangs being so distracted by the mirror, I decided to release him into the tank this afternoon.

Funny enough, not one fish paid any attention to him. He swam with the Triggers and Yellow and Chevron Tangs for a bit and nobody cared. He even ventured over to the Black Tang a few times and nothing. He's just a very curious fish and is looking around everywhere. Even when moving him from QT to the display he never splashed or anything in the species container, even when I drained most of the water out. I very laid back fish!

Archived