470 Gallon Mixed Reef

nuxx

Thanks Ty!

Still have the remnants of a GHA outbreak due to not keeping up with changing our GFO, but apart from that going well.

At least most of the GHA is turning brown/gold and receding, so it's a good sign....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ty!

Still have the remnants of a GHA outbreak due to not keeping up with changing our GFO, but apart from that going well.

At least most of the GHA is turning brown/gold and receding, so it's a good sign....

That's definitely good news!

• 2 weeks later...

Cut the panels for the stand and put them on the magnetic frames we made.

Just temporary right mow, still need to nail them on the frames, then cut/paint and put on the borders. Then also put on the handles.

Weird to see it mocked up though smile.png

11222015_panels.jpg

Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Had the following fish come in today:

Copper Banded Butterfly

Midas Blenny

(2) Crescent Tail Fairy Wrasses

Potters Angel

Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse

The CBB, Midas and Crescent Wrasses came from Los Angeles, the Potters and Hawaiian came from Picturesque Aquatics.

The two Crescent Fairy Wrasses came in really bad shape. One was just barely breathing, the other wasn't too much better.

After acclimation, the worse of the two just floated to the bottom of the tank. The other swam off and hid. Found the worse of the two dead a few hours later. The other is hiding, or dead sad.png

The Copperband came in much larger than I ordered and had a broken lower piece of its mouth.

The Midas looked good.

The Hawaiian Cleaner and Potters Angel came in great, even though they had a much longer journey.

Put the CBB, Cleaner and one Crescent in together. The Potters, worse looking Wrasse and Midas went in the other 20 long.

The Cleaner keeps bothering the CBB, think it might have something on it's upper fin.

Tried to feed some juvenile live brine, frozen brine and frozen mysis. The Potters Angel, Midas and Hawaiian Cleaner showed interest. The CBB didn't eat and I never saw the one remaining Crescent.

Happy about the Hawaiian Cleaner showing interest in food. It definitely picked at some food out of the water column.

The Midas is an aggressive eater and the Potters picked at a lot of pieces of food.

Also the Potters and Hawaiian Cleaner are not afraid of me at all.

I feel the 2nd Crescent Wrasse and CBB will not make it.

So looking at a Hawaiian Cleaner, Potters Angel and Midas making it through this round. Also have another fish coming Saturday.

QT for new fish, waiting on HOB filter and changing to a bubbler with large bubbles on the left.

11242015_qt_3.jpg

I'd never buy another copperband unless I saw it happily eating in the store first. They are notoriously bad shippers and end up damaging their sensitive mouth parts in the bag usually. I'd save that one for a local buy instead of ordering it if I were you. Same thing with leopard wrasses if you ever decide to get one... they tend to dart around and smash up their sensitive mouth parts. The good shippers will ship them with some sand in the bag. Sorry about the wrasses, hopefully the other one makes it for you!

I'd never buy another copperband unless I saw it happily eating in the store first. They are notoriously bad shippers and end up damaging their sensitive mouth parts in the bag usually. I'd save that one for a local buy instead of ordering it if I were you. Same thing with leopard wrasses if you ever decide to get one... they tend to dart around and smash up their sensitive mouth parts. The good shippers will ship them with some sand in the bag. Sorry about the wrasses, hopefully the other one makes it for you!

Last CBB I had did great in shipping and QT. Put in the display with no acclimation box... tangs scared it to death in 3 days sad.png

It had eating since day one as well in QT sad.png(

Yeah we used to ship leopards with 2" of sand. I'll see what happens with this guy.

I've had fairy wrasses hide for almost a week when new, hopefully the other is ok. The dead one had some nipped fins out of the bag sad.png

That's a shame, what wholesale place in LA? Sounds like they are just shoving fish into a bag and throwing them in a box to Texas.

I'll tell you privately. I just need to be a little more vocal about the fish being my personal fish and to make sure they're good. I'll half ding myself for this one.

Update on the fish.

The Hawaiian Cleaner, CBB, Potters Angel, Midas Blenny and one Crescent Tail Wrasse made it through the night.

The Crescent looks colorful, and is alert and hiding where I can see him. Will try to feed again later. Going to vary up foods until I find food that certain fish like and stick with those for the remainder of the QT period. Will continue to mix in live juvenile brine until they're not alive anymore. I bought way too much.

Put a little bit of live juvenile brine in the tanks and the Potters and Cleaner Wrasse went after it.

The Crescent is still hiding under some PVC, but swam off when I pointed a little light at him.

The Midas Blenny only likes bigger food, so no shock there.

The CBB is still skittish and in the corner. I noticed what looked like ich on his fins this morning. Guessing the stress of shipping, damaged mouth and pestering Hawaiian Cleaner brought it out. Guess this is why we quarantine and also gives the Cleaner something to do/eat wink.png

Will probably start with ParaGuard and Prazi over the weekend, maybe sooner if I see the feeding response increase and see the CBB eat. If it ever does with it's messed up mouth... I saw it with it's mouth open yesterday when I fed Frozen Brine and Mysis, not sure if he actually ate though. Going to try Rod's Original today.

• 2 weeks later...

New fish came in last night and have been in their tanks for about 16 hours.

The Wrasse has a bit of ammonia burn from a delayed flight in LA I'm guessing.

The Angel seems bold and active.

I fed everyone today and:

- Copperband Butteflyfish : Very aggressive eater, eats everything offered. What I thought was ich, looks more like Lympho to me. What do you think? Big white marks on it's tail.

- Crescent Tail Fairy Wrasse : Now out all the time and eats pretty much anything.

- Potters Angel : Now out a lot and will eat most things that float by him without spitting out.

- Midas Blenny : Hides all the time, but is a pig when it comes to eating.

- New Wrasse : Out all the time and seems to have a feeding response, didn't witness anything eaten, but it's hard to see with how dark the tank is. His mouth was definitely open he was chasing stuff.

- New Angel : Out all the time as well. Also has a feeding response but as with the new Wrasse, I didn't witness something 100% get eaten. Also has it's mouth open and chasing things around.

Uh, first off, you need to say, holy crap, I got a bandit angel whenever mentioning you just got an angel. It's like saying you just got a car versus you just got a Lamborghini! Beautiful!

LOL yeah, always wanted one. A good excuse to get one came out of nowhere, so went for it.

Really happy it came in around 3". Didn't want one too big (higher chance of coral nipping) or too small (harder to keep). Already dealing with delicate fish in the CBB and Hawaiian Cleaner.

After throwing everything I could think of at the Bandit, he finally ate!

Tried pretty much every frozen food, live sponges, live clams and mussels, 3 types of flakes, nori, 3 types of pellets, etc...

After two days of offering live sponges and live clams and mussels, the Bandit finally decided to eat sponges and mussels this morning.

Noticed one of the sponges was torn up, then saw him nip at it. He then picked at the new mussel I put in. After a bit he was really going at it.

Had me worried for a bit! Sorry for the ghetto stand, my QT racks are full and this was last minute...

Video of him first eating, sorry low light and camera phone zoom :/

Archived