Reef Controller

brian.srock

I'm looking at getting something to monitor my tank.

I would like to know the temperature of the tank and be alerted if it gets too high or low and control the heater

I would like to know my tank's pH

It would be nice to have an App but I can do with email alerts and I would like to stay between the $200 - $300 range

I have timers for lights already on one breaker and everything else is on a seperate breaker that is always on. 5 pumps(return, 3 powerheads, carbon) , 1 heater, 1 airpump,

Here is what I have found out so far

Apex JR $240

$70 Lab grade pH prove

$85 PM1

Total price $395

Reefkeeper Lite w/ free pH from Marine Depot $200

No app

.NET interface $120

Total price $320

Reefangel $269

$109 pH expansion

$25 pH probe

$109 wifi attachment

Total price $512

Digital Aquatic Lifeguard $220

Can only log temp and not control

Bad reviews

You are wrong about the ReefAngel. You do not need the $109 pH expansion nor $109 wifi attachment to monitor the pH, temp and other parameters. Even with out the WiFi attachment it will send you warning emails if the pH or temp raise over the set limits. So no $512 but less than $300. I think it is better than Apex.rock.gif

The entry level apex is already $400 with what I wanted it to do.

Thanks for the info on the reef angel Bogdan. The nice part is then it does everything I want in the price range I want.

Maybe I'm missing something but what would justify the cost of an extra $100? The only piece of equipment that I want controlled is my heater. I have everything else on a dedicated breaker plugged into a ups.

I'm real new to them but I'm thrilled about my apex. Scary to think I ever ran a tank without one. Now I can't imagine NOT using one. I probably use like 2% of its features too

I can actually really jive with that sentiment. However, my issue was I needed reliable relay dosing outlets/timers that can be programmed down to the second, as many times a day as I want, with quality pumps. My options? Vertex libra doser, spectrapure litermeter dosers, or ghl dosers. The cost of each of those are in the same neighborhood as an apex with brs dosers, and the apex has other features...decision made. That being said, if simple temperature control and on/off features on timers is all you need, get the cheapest reef keeper you can find, with a ph probe module, and buy some extra analog timers and be done with it, for less than $200

The thing about the reef angel is that you need to be able to straight up program. It's probably got the highest level of tweak ability, but that is at the expense of difficulty.

Same thing with DIY arduino. I can program, I just don't trust myself to not make a mistake in it that could seriously impact my tank. In the long run in this hobby, 100 bucks is a drop in the bucket.

I was looking at the Sardino http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/29749-sardino-a-diy-arduino-based-reef-controller/?hl=controller but I would probably start it and never finish

I don't need it to dose for me since my kalk keeps things pretty stable.

So here is where I'm at. Looks like no one is recommending the Reefkeeper or Lifeguard which would of been the perfect price point for me. So now it's Apex vs Reef Angel and price is the only difference when they both do the same thing. Actually the Reefkeeper does more on a basic model since it does ATO, pH, and has a 8 outlet power bar for the same price as just the Apex JR which only does Temp and a 4 outlet power bar.

Apex JR $240

$70 Lab grade pH prove

$85 PM1

Total price $395

Reef Angel $269

Total price $269

Do I need anything for either of these to access stuff from an app or can both of these be connected to an ethernet cable and set up that way?

Is there an app price?

One thing I know the apex does is control your power on consumption levels. My tank crashed bc power went out while I was away. It came back on but the start up load flipped GFCI. Apex controls fow fast the power draw come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If power goes out does either system alert you or do they not have their own backup? I know my system can easily survive 24 hours with no power as I've had a GFCI trip on multiple occasions but if I'm away it'd be nice to know it happened so I can arrange for someone to reset it.

My Apex emails me when my power goes off and when my ATO reservoir is empty. Also you can look at and control it with your smartphone. There are so many other features I do not use but I know I could eventually use. Good luck.

If power goes out does either system alert you or do they not have their own backup? I know my system can easily survive 24 hours with no power as I've had a GFCI trip on multiple occasions but if I'm away it'd be nice to know it happened so I can arrange for someone to reset it.

off topic, but wow. do you have a big UPS or only run minimal equipment through it?

Actually nothing was running through it when the power goes out since we have an issue with the GFCI tripping randomly. It would bleach the Purple Montis since they were out of water but they always bounced back. This happened quite a bit especially on weekends since getting up in the attic crawlspace was a little difficult with my drill.

I now have a seperate 20v breaker with a UPS for my pumps and have moved one of the pumps onto my lighting switch just in case one breaker trips and the other doesn't.

I'll try to plug it all up to my kill-a-watt tonight and see what i'm running power wise but the only thing on my UPS that'll receive power at the moment is my Return pump and heater and whatever monitoring system I plan on going with if it doesn't have it's own temporary battery source..

• Like 1

Well it's not available til Mid November but how much would it cost me to be able to do that? Can I plug in ethernet or do I have to get some module for wireless?

Also found out the Reef Angel does water level warnings as well.

Well it's not available til Mid November but how much would it cost me to be able to do that? Can I plug in ethernet or do I have to get some module for wireless?

Also found out the Reef Angel does water level warnings as well.

I don't know anything about the Reef Angel, but using an IO breakout box and any number of solutions you could very easily monitor the water level of the tank. As many people do I use a float switch to automatically add fresh RO/DI water for top off due to evaporation. Same principle could be used in the display and sounds an alarm, send an email and send a text.

They were supposed to launch the beta testing last mid-november. beta testing is going on right now. waiting for it to be launched any time now. You can connect via cable or wireless to your router. I bough the netgear wnce2001 adapter and had it running in about 2 min.

The thing about the reef angel is that you need to be able to straight up program. It's probably got the highest level of tweak ability, but that is at the expense of difficulty.

Same thing with DIY arduino. I can program, I just don't trust myself to not make a mistake in it that could seriously impact my tank. In the long run in this hobby, 100 bucks is a drop in the bucket.

That is not true. Actually the RA comes preset and can be used as plug and play. The other option for lamers (like me) is to use friendly Wizard and set all the parameters to your liking. If you know coding then you can write your own program and upload it to your RA. Additionally on the RA forum other users share their programs.