Tenticle thing growing on zoas

Planeden

Ok, another one. this is a new zoa in my OT. I thought this was loose algae or something, but i grabbed it and it was well attached (like the rock picked up). it did not feel like algae, but it could be for all i know. it may have given me a mild sting, or i had some other source of irritation that the salt didn't agree with. i do have sensative skin, a possible sting may not ought to be a major consideration.

it is irritating the zoas and growing quickly. not spreading too much, yet. but it is starting to. i'm thinking the best way to get rid of it is to cut off the parts its on?

thanks all. any advice is appreciated.

post-3177-0-23944500-1392705148_thumb.jp

Chop it off the rock Dennis. That looks like bryopsis to me... which is highly invasive!

If it were me, I'd toss the whole frag because I'm paranoid and a bunch of zoas aren't worth the trouble of bryopsis. If you wanted to try to save it though, try a couple of peroxide dips until you don't see it anymore and then just keep a good eye out for it to see if it ever comes back.

You can just Google how to do a peroxide dip on zoas. It'll tick the heck out of your zoas but they will survive. Mine always did. Btw, this peroxide dip works on almost all algaes and doesn't hurt zoas. Don't do it on SPS or you'll literally melt their skin off.

For observational purposes, the zoas and the algae will literally bubble during the treatment. Once you put it back in the tank, the algae will look fine and the zoas will look ticked. By the next day, the zoas will look a whole lot better and the algae will start lightening in color and will disintegrate in a couple of days.

Can't it just be clam feet instead? :).

Ok, so the fear of just cutting the part that's visible is that it may be in other places? I hope i didn't let a little piece break off and float somewhere else in the tank. How long would it take to show up somewhere else if it has landed somewhere else? Its been in the tank about a week.

Thanks a lot Ty.

That's bryopsis. Mine started that way and now I'm engaged in chemical warfare with it. Break that chunk of rock off out of the water super quick before it spreads. Just pulling it out makes it worse because tiny bits break off, float around and reattach. Manual removal is part of getting rid of it but if that's all you do you are helping it spread.

How stiff is it? It might be a calurpa sp. Doing the H2O2 dip should deal with it which ever one it is. As you can see from the above responses Briopsis can be problematic and has caused aquarists problems but my experience has been fairly neutral. I've seen it thrive for years in an overflow but never spread to the refugium or main tank of a system. I haven't seen snails do much in the way of eradication but some hermits, Sally Lightfoot's and urchins will remove it. Further more if you read Nilsen and Fossa's "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" pg 164 both Briopsis and Derbesia should be expected during the maturation process of an aquarium and will diminish as the system matures and herbivores are added.

thanks everyone for the help. i had no idea what bryopsis looked like.

Yes Dennis we know your sensitive. poke.gif

just my skin, rick.

How stiff is it? It might be a calurpa sp. Doing the H2O2 dip should deal with it which ever one it is. As you can see from the above responses Briopsis can be problematic and has caused aquarists problems but my experience has been fairly neutral. I've seen it thrive for years in an overflow but never spread to the refugium or main tank of a system. I haven't seen snails do much in the way of eradication but some hermits, Sally Lightfoot's and urchins will remove it. Further more if you read Nilsen and Fossa's "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" pg 164 both Briopsis and Derbesia should be expected during the maturation process of an aquarium and will diminish as the system matures and herbivores are added.

how to quantify stiffness and avoid getting kicked out. it is stiffer than hair algea as it stays standing with the flow. however, if i were a pod working on that top floor of that building i would be wetting myself, or whatever pods do when they are terrified. i think though, regardless of whether it is bryopsis or calurpa, it is not pretty and irritating the pretty things. so i'll dip it and keep an eye out around the tank. as far as it being natural and normal or not, i will withhold my fear of bryopsis until it does or doesn't take over :).

Archived