CONTROL ZENIA?

Sean

Wish I could help. I have the exact reverse problem. Xenia won't grow at all in my tank. I have one lonely little stalk that seems to just hang on ... and it has been that way for almost a year! Everything else (zoa's lps corals, leather coral) have been growing very nicely.

Now my green star polyps on the other hand .... I have the same problem with that as you do with your Xenia.

Wish I could help. I have the exact reverse problem. Xenia won't grow at all in my tank. I have one lonely little stalk that seems to just hang on ... and it has been that way for almost a year! Everything else (zoa's lps corals, leather coral) have been growing very nicely.

Now my green star polyps on the other hand .... I have the same problem with that as you do with your Xenia.

i had the same problem. xenia just disolved in my tank. i have been told xenia does not do salinity flux at all. but i dont think purposly fluxing your salinity levels for a week is the best idea as that may hurt the other corals...

i dont know if this would work but what if you tried controlling it like you do aptiasia? take a siringe and inject it with an acid... like lemon juice? a drop in a lot of stalks i bet would kill the colony. then it would be only a slight decay factor in the way of ammonia etc. i doubt the ph of your tank would flux from a few injectiosn of lemonade.

There is not much you can do. Nothing I have seen will eat it. It is a weed, much like green star polyps. You can rob it of light obviously, but that probably isn't an option.

I have tried the rob light method and it makes things worse the way i tried it. One large football size piece i moved to the sump and turned it upside down with the zenia on the bottom of the rock and almost zero light, only what leaked from behind the stand. That just made it stretch out and let several stalks go float all over and start new colonies in several places.

unfortunately, I have resorted to taking out chunks of rock, scraping with a screwdriver, razor blade & rigid brush. If i don't get every trace of the zenia and the fibrous foot material, it grows right back. I have been throwing it into the flowerbed, it seems to make good fertilizer.

unfortunately, I have resorted to taking out chunks of rock, scraping with a screwdriver, razor blade & rigid brush. If i don't get every trace of the zenia and the fibrous foot material, it grows right back. I have been throwing it into the flowerbed, it seems to make good fertilizer.

If you can pull the rock out of the aquascape.....what I done is chisel a small piece of rock w/ xenia.......that way, there be no flesh left behind. Good Luck.

-Cindy-

I wouldn't replace it. Worst comes to worst you can cook it. The only difference between hair algae and xenia is the xenia looks prettiers. :) Same goes for green star polyps.

On the other hand you could just turn your tank into a xenia tank. :D It is a great nutrient exporter just like macro and you can sell it as well.