DETRITUS HELP

semperfimarine1

what is the best way to get rid of this stuff????

does anything eat it?

also if it is all over your rocks can you take the rocks out and scrub them with something to make them "extra clean"??

i did about a 50% water change the other day and tried vacuuming out most of it but of course i missed a lot of it some how and not its on my rocks?

please help guys!

adrian

The best way to rid yourself of detritus is to keep it suspended in the water and remove it with mechanical filtration. Filter socks work pretty well just make sure to clean them every couple of days.

+1 to this.

Something I did when I had a lot was to buy a Magnum HOT filter. I put it on the tank, turned it on, then used a turkey baster to blow water on the rocks and kick up the gunk. I did this for a couple of days and it made a huge difference.

purigen is gods gift for this mess. put a bag of it in your filtration system. even if its a HOB aquaclear. get water passing through it and in about a week it will be black with the stuff it picked up. panty hose also works as a good fine filter. cut off a foot piece and wrap around all the outputs or whatnot and change every few days it will make a world of differene. (works well as bio media)

I too suffer from this problem (since Thanksgiving). I have 4 socks I change out every other day. I just can't get rid of the stuff. I can see it suspended in the water column. I have a sponge and a carbon filled bag in the bubble trap right before the section my skimmer is going in. Will Purigen really help?

Sorry Semper. . .

Dave-

I too suffer from this problem (since Thanksgiving). I have 4 socks I change out every other day. I just can't get rid of the stuff. I can see it suspended in the water column. I have a sponge and a carbon filled bag in the bubble trap right before the section my skimmer is going in. Will Purigen really help?

Sorry Semper. . .

Dave-

puragin is a miracle product. it is crazy awsome. you can pick it up from petsmart etc. i think it is the best product that seachem makes and probably the best 15$ that can be spent in the hobby. you can clean it, reuse it. it pics up soo much stuff that you didnt even know that was there.

puragin is a synthetic bead. you can buy it at places like petsmart for 10$. its a bag of little white beads. it works like that blue filter floss on your filtration system except it picks up super super fine particles. the stuff it pics up contributes to the accumlation of detritus. if you decide to use it put in your filtration system like you would carbon or other media. make water pass through it and it will super filter your water.

panty hose is another just simple cheap cheap filter media. the pores are so fine that it helps at collecting stuff out of the water colum before it settles down on the surface of your rocks etc increasing your detritus problem. the easiest way to use it is to take some and rubber band it on the output tubes in the tank. you will see that in a day or two it will be all sorts of nasty colors. that is just nastyness that has collected on the pantyhose. change it ever so often so that your flow is not hurt.

that has always worked for me for never having detritus.

Edited by chatfouz

Can I put inside my filter sock?

if its after your corse mechanical filtration. you want the mechanical filtration to get finner as it travels through the filter, not corser. water to hit the corser filter sock then panty hose then the rest of yoru filtration. bio or chem.

if you use puragin sock-pantyhose-puragin