Whats that smell?

esacjack

Woke up in the middle of the night to the smell of ozone. I knew instantly what was happening. Float was stuck :/

post-2969-0-29013500-1387412768_thumb.jp

Even though I had a loop in the cabling, the water ran down the edge of the stand and found an imperfection to follow. I had it mounted upside down under the stand cabinet shelf. I thought, surely water couldnt get here.... Nope...I was wrong. Note to self, new float switch, new reefkeeper pc4, new gfci.

• 4 weeks later...

I found a reasonable work around for a float switch thats completely failsafe (unless your reef controller gets stuck). I caculated how much water evaporates daily and prorated that on a thirty minute basis. I then programmed a BRS dosing pump (the higher volume one to be used for ATO) to run a certain time every 30 minutes. This keeps the water level very very close to the same level. I check the level every day or sao while I'm checking everything else and if it ever starts to get above a certain level (I marked a line on the side of the sump as a guide) I can back it off a second or two it will slowly reverse direction over a few days. No floats to get stuck and no floods.

I did something similar after I had two float switch failures... I don't use a reef controller though. I bought a low flow sprinkler timer from Lowes and put adapters on it to go from garden hose threads to 1/4 push connectors. Right now my timer allows water to flow for 5 minutes every 8 hours.

The level stays fairly good, once a month I might have to run it manually for an extra 5 minutes, but that's two buttons.

I usually have to adjust the timing as the weather turns twice a year.