Trying to figure out my 2-part dosing

Wade

Who's the expert on 2-part dosing? I need some help figuring out the correct way to dose. Some say dose the alkalinity at night and the calcium during the day, but this seems to lead to parameter swings. Wouldn't it be better to dose them at the same time or at least alternating them throughout the day? I'm trying to bring my calcium up to the 480 range so I can then let it go for three days and see what my usage is. I know if I add calcium, then I have to add alkalinity because the calcium will make it go down. What's the best way to go about this? Please help this feeble-minded fool!

This is a really good article if you haven't seen it. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

I basically took a lazy approach. I started dosing 1 minute each per day a few hours apart before the main lights come on. Measure every afternoon or every other afternoon at roughly the same time.

After measuring for about a week or two I concluded had to bring both up, but my levels were fairly stable in dosing 1 minute per day. I then used baking soda over the course of 3 days to get my alk up. And used additional Ca dosing to get my Ca up. Have needed to adjust slightly since then but I don't test more than once a week anymore.

Lol. That's funny.

I'm not a 2 part dosing expert...however I have just purchased all of the necessary materials in order to begin 2 part dosing. I was basically gonna approach it like was just suggested. Hook brs dosers up to the apex. Test calcium and alk for 2-3 days in a row at the same time. Record how much each drops. Use the brs calculator to find out how much 2 part is needed to correct it in a 24 hour period. Divide each number into 6 for 6 doses of each daily. Pumps will run every 2 hours, Alternating between calcium and alk. Set the apex timers to run for however long needed for each dose to be its target amount. Test and adjust accordingly

Edited by Bpb

In my experience,

I tried the only at night thing,

the more at night than during the day thing.

the CA and ALK at the same time thing

I was the most successful when I was doing them both everyday

I did best with dosing more ALK than CA. but I dosed them both all day.

I dosed my ALK every 30 mins and my CA at the 45min on each hour.

In my experience you want to dose both at the same rate (ml per hour or whatever your schedule). Grab you a graduated beaker that has a very granular measurement and use that to help dial in your dosing schedule. Make sure your lines are free of air to prevent any inconsistent doses from your pumps. Start with maybe .25ml / hour of both and test after a week and see where you are at, they should be dosed on opposite ends of your tank/sump to prevent precipitation. Gradually increase over time to hit your sweet spot. Over dosing CA will not hurt anything (other than a snow storm if you really overdo it, but this is rare) the KH can hurt you though so start slow and increase slowly. I would make adjustments weekly while you are trying to figure it out.

The .25ml/hour starting rate is just a rough estimate based on your 72G tank with BRS 2 part. That should be a safe starting point not knowing more about your tank.

-brett

Thanks all. I've been running just the alk over the past couple of nights and testing in the morning to see where I'm at. I've been dosing very small amounts just trying to bring it up a point or two. I'll test again when I get home this evening and then maybe set a schedule for both. Thanks about the tip of seperating the dosing location to different ends of the sump. I had them right next to each other.

Serious question. What is the point of dosing in different locations if you're waiting an hour or more in between each dose? Even a low flow sump would have carried every last bit of alk away and dispersed it evenly in the water by the time the calcium line came on. Right?

Serious question. What is the point of dosing in different locations if you're waiting an hour or more in between each dose? Even a low flow sump would have carried every last bit of alk away and dispersed it evenly in the water by the time the calcium line came on. Right?

correct

That's what i was thinking too, but differred to those with more experience. I can see the point if you dose at the same time, but if you have at least 30 minutes between dosing i don't see why it would be a problem.

ok, my alkalinity is at 6.1 and I want to raise it to the 8.5 to 9 range. BRS calculator states that you shouldn't raise it any more than 1.4 per day and since I'm not in a rush I would like to raise it 1 point a day. Would it be safe to set the schedule to raise it that much from now until morning?

It really is going to depend on what kind of corals that you have. If you have a lot of finicky SPS corals then 1 point a day is a really big jump and will most likely stress/kill those animals. If you mainly have softies then it is not that big of a deal. With ALK you are better of taking it slow, very slow. Good rule of thumb for you might be 1 point a week, that would put your target ALK out about 1 month. It is good idea to raise your ALK above where it is now, just take it slow and do some water changes along the way which will also help.

-brett

Easy fix. Forget the dosing and just use Red Sea Coral Pro salt. You will get

Calcium 450-480

Alk 10-12

PH around 8.0

Every time.

Not the dosing expert, not me. I just know that using that salt will take care of your dosing all together.

Pick you up a small bucket for 20 bucks at Pet Cove, give it a whirl.

'Fraid I'll have to disagree there. Many of us don't just dose to make sure our water change water is adequate. It's a day to day maintenance. I get those exact parameters when mixing my salt. No problem. However. Some of us have enough sps that we lose 0.5-1 dKH alkalinity a day. Water changes alone to maintain that would not only be cost ineffective, but just plain inconvenient.

• Like 1

Bpb,

Sitting here thinking about this again and I don't want to derail Wade's question. I have a question though.

So I see two options:

1) you do frequent (weekly) water changes and your levels all stay pretty much perfect.

2) you do no water changes really and you dose daily.

I would think that option 2 would open up a lot of risks. If you miss a dose or something goes wrong, you have the potential for a catastrophic event with a tank crash because your water change regimen is not there and you are relying on dosing.

Option 1 is just good husbandry and you are creating a nice security blanket of sorts.

Now, I would think that people with very large tanks > 180 gallons would want to go the dosing option possibly.

Make sense? Or am I missing something?

Ok I'm doing something horribly wrong here. Dosing Soda Ash from BRS should raise alkalinity, correct? I've been dosing low amounts over the past 4 nights to try and bring it up maybe .5 - 1 point and it's been going down by .5 point each night. I'm down to 3.5dKH right now. I'm due a water change so I'll do that today and reevaluate where I'm at. I'm using the Salifert Alkalinity text kit.

Ok I'm doing something horribly wrong here.  Dosing Soda Ash from BRS should raise alkalinity, correct?  I've been dosing low amounts over the past 4 nights to try and bring it up maybe .5 - 1 point and it's been going down by .5 point each night.  I'm down to 3.5dKH right now.  I'm due a water change so I'll do that today and reevaluate where I'm at.  I'm using the Salifert Alkalinity text kit.  

Check your magnesium levels too. If it's low you'll have trouble getting your alk & calcium up.

Bpb,

Sitting here thinking about this again and I don't want to derail Wade's question. I have a question though.

So I see two options:

1) you do frequent (weekly) water changes and your levels all stay pretty much perfect.

2) you do no water changes really and you dose daily.

I would think that option 2 would open up a lot of risks. If you miss a dose or something goes wrong, you have the potential for a catastrophic event with a tank crash because your water change regimen is not there and you are relying on dosing.

Option 1 is just good husbandry and you are creating a nice security blanket of sorts.

Now, I would think that people with very large tanks > 180 gallons would want to go the dosing option possibly.

Make sense? Or am I missing something?

You're missing something! Dosing is critical to many tanks, and I didn't start to have good success until i started to keep track of and maintain alk/ca/mg.