FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Three words for you bud.

Under. Gravel. Filter.

I'll even help you take all the rocks, sand, and coral out for you to put the filter in.

UGF...in a reef tank? Really? Never heard of that.

Haha, long discussion on it when we carpooled down to Kimp's meeting down South.

Join us for the beer next week and we'll fill you in. [emoji4]

Three words for you bud.

Under. Gravel. Filter.

I'll even help you take all the rocks, sand, and coral out for you to put the filter in.

UGF...in a reef tank? Really? Never heard of that.

This is actually a very old design. Paul B on r2r still uses a ugf on his 40 year old reef tank. Now sumps are the thing to do but before that it was canister filters and before that it was under gravel filters. I'm very curious to see how ty manages to do a ugf with sand instead of crushed coral.

Come on bud spill the goods :)

• Like 1

Oh no Ty, that sucks, I' m sorry to hear that man. Leopards are definitely finicky little buggers and potters are on of the tougher ones to keep. Totally stinks

Rob,

You're the person that'll appreciate this the most probably since you're such a wrasse-lover. I have a Japanese lunate wrasse (female), a Phillipine lunate wrasse (male), and a Hawaiian Elegant Coris wrasse (female) that I got from fellow hobbyist that is moving. I'll update with pictures/video when I get a chance. They all don't have full adult coloring yet but I looked them up and they are all spectacular!

The Cirrhilabrus lunatus is the female from Japan... the Cirrhilabrus cf. lunatus was more recently discovered and that's the male I have from the Phillipines.

Here's a cool Reefbuilders article detailing them a bit more. The Japanese one is discussed at the beginning of the article and the Phillipine one at the end.https://reefbuilders.com/2015/05/13/fairy-wrasses-lunatus-group-2/

Wow Ty sorry to hear about the ich. I know that you were really looking forward to the powder blue, that totally sucks. Hope that the Achilles is doing well.

Very nice looking wrasses indeed, nice score! Can't wait to see some vids and pics of these guys. Looks like someone else has been bitten by the wrasse bug...

• Like 1

Hey now, I started with an ugf back in the 90's!!

I think it's an interesting idea and I may experiment with it to test it out as a QT/treatment technique. I won't judge or condemn until I see results

Coming from the oldest-minded young guy I've ever met...

Well that joy ride ended quick. I had combined my wrasses with my tangs and cleaner wrasse to shut down the two extra tanks I was running.

Everything looked good and the wrasses were coming out to explore and the tangs paid them no mind at all as expected. The cleaner wrasse even started to clean them. I go to run an alk test on my main DT and come back to the Phillipine male cf. lunate wrasse on the carpet, dead as a doornail.

He jumped 14" out of the water to make it out of the tub!

6d6e9fca451d8ec5104c3df4b3660614.jpg

I can't win this week with fish... [emoji53]

I'm always impressed with how much force our Scotts can hit the top of the canopy. It makes a really loud thud and splashes water all over. It's impressive how much power these little guys have.

Oh crap, that sucks Ty. That is definitely the one thing that really stinks about wrasse, their leaping ability is uncanny. Hopefully that netting will solve that problem when they're all back in the DT. Sorry for the tough weeksad.png

• Like 1

I tend to have that effect on fish. It's a curse doh.gif

That's why I keep a hood on my tanks!

Insert snarky comment about hood over your face here. Bahahahahahaha.

You can borrow mine. smile.png

HA...good one!

Now, be honest Jimbo. You just told the wrasse he'd have to look at Ty's face the rest of his life...couldn't take it.

Paul B's tank has some special sauce going on no doubt, but I'd be surprised if a ugf has anything to with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll never run any tank uncovered... even non jumpers can and will jump.

Witnessed one of our crosshatches slam into the netting and cause a massive splash. Never thought they were jumpers.

When I add nori to the tank each day, the Flame Wrasses are always skimming the top of the water. Makes me nervous as hell, even being right there...

• Like 2