FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Aussie echinata! RCA had a gorgeous colony they are fragging right now!

fedd385328e63abb4041af11c1bf4945.jpg

Who wants to make bets on how long this frag will live in captivity?

I got dibs on 8 months! I think Jake at RCA kept a good colony alive for 6 months in his growout system before it crashed. I say I can beat Jake by a couple of months. shifty.gif

Honestly, I think I'll have less success than him. I think it has such a woeful record for survival is because it probably desires less light and slightly dirtier water than your average SPS tank has. It may do better in a LPS/softie tank than anything else but that's just a guess.

Nice video. I love how your frag rack is hiding in the back out of view. Copying. Do you find that your acropora win vs you sunset montipora. You're one of the brave reefers out there who are putting encrusting monti on the main rocks amongst the Acros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got dibs on 8 months! I think Jake at RCA kept a good colony alive for 6 months in his growout system before it crashed. I say I can beat Jake by a couple of months. shifty.gif

Honestly, I think I'll have less success than him. I think it has such a woeful record for survival is because it probably desires less light and slightly dirtier water than your average SPS tank has. It may do better in a LPS/softie tank than anything else but that's just a guess.

I would like to see an echinata in the wild and see first hand what conditions they thrive under. Shallow vs. deep. Clear water vs being closer to shore with more nutrients or being near the reef rim where nutrient rich water from the ocean floor are being pushed up. Near the reef crest where there is a lot of water movement or in a lagoon or cove where there is gradual water movement from the tides. The thin branches of the echinata suggests they would be found in calmer areas where the branches have less of a chance of being broken by rough waters.

Nice video. I love how your frag rack is hiding in the back out of view. Copying. Do you find that your acropora win vs you sunset montipora. You're one of the brave reefers out there who are putting encrusting monti on the main rocks amongst the Acros

It's kind of a stalemate with the sunset monti... I burn you this week... you burn me back next week... just kind of a give and push with the DMZ in the middle. Yeah, I'm pretty happy about that frag rack hidden back there. At eye level, it gives depth to the right rock structure but if you look closer, you'll see a full frag rack of my choice new additions. That's like advanced ninja fragger skill level there. ph34r.png

I would like to see an echinata in the wild and see first hand what conditions they thrive under. Shallow vs. deep. Clear water vs being closer to shore with more nutrients or being near the reef rim where nutrient rich water from the ocean floor are being pushed up. Near the reef crest where there is a lot of water movement or in a lagoon or cove where there is gradual water movement from the tides. The thin branches of the echinata suggests they would be found in calmer areas where the branches have less of a chance of being broken by rough waters.

Agreed, let me know when you and your wife head out to Australia for some diving! Throw some corals in your pocket while you are at it!

We made it to page 100! Party!!! rock.gif

Nice video Ty, the tank is looking great!

Thank you sir! I griped to the wife yesterday and said there doesn't look like anything I can work on with the tank lately... it looks nice. To her reply, she said, I guarantee you'll make up something you have to do... doh.gif It's true! I was born with the inability for idle hands... they must always be doing something.

Agreed, let me know when you and your wife head out to Australia for some diving! Throw some corals in your pocket while you are at it!

The Australia/New Zealand/Bali trip isn't scheduled for another 2-3 years. Working on saving up all my travel per diems for a southern hemisphere around the world trip. Hopefully by then I'll figure out CITES permits and can bring back loads of goodies. If anything I'll at least be able to document the natural environmental of a lot of these corals.

BTW, happy 100th page! This thread has officially reached the status of "RIDICULOUS" thumbsup.gifyahoo.gif

Nice video Ty, the tank is looking great!

Thank you sir! I griped to the wife yesterday and said there doesn't look like anything I can work on with the tank lately... it looks nice. To her reply, she said, I guarantee you'll make up something you have to do... doh.gif It's true! I was born with the inability for idle hands... they must always be doing something.

idle hands? I know someone who is trying to rebuild a tank that could use some of those!

How do you keep your colonies so compact and uniform? My corals have random long skinny branches going in all directions. Do you have a coral hedging service I could sign up for? Good luck on the new one coloring up.

• Like 1

How do you keep your colonies so compact and uniform? My corals have random long skinny branches going in all directions. Do you have a coral hedging service I could sign up for? Good luck on the new one coloring up.

I don't know if I'd consider them uniform compared to some other tanks I've seen but I would guess a large part has to do with water flow. Mine is pretty random and alternates so that you don't have that leaning effect.

Thank you, I hope the mari colors up into something awesome! Hope your yellow mille stays yellow so I can get me some of that action! [emoji4]

Let him stay down there he ain't hurting no one. When my Tampa bay saltwater rock arrives I'm gonna sump it and see how many pest crabs and mantis I can collect in one spot lol

Let him stay down there he ain't hurting no one. When my Tampa bay saltwater rock arrives I'm gonna sump it and see how many pest crabs and mantis I can collect in one spot lol

I was actually going to leave him but only found him because he had died.

Good luck with that Tampa Bay stuff. Its full interesting life... most I'm fascinated by and the rest I'm deathly afraid of. [emoji41]

I'm counting on keeping as many things out of the display as possible due to the fact that I'm using it as purely refugium rock. Honestly of all the things that could show up, the Isopods scare me the most, but it'll

Be in a very confined environment I can closely observe it in. If there's anything really scary like bearded fireworms, bobbit worms, or things like that, I'm not worried as they wont be hurting anything in a refugium. The Isopods have a chance of leaving the fuge and migrating toward the return pump, but I'll be watching closely and removing them as I see them. I'm half way hoping for a peacock mantis.

My fuge has turned into a cyano/slime cesspool. Need to reintroduce some good stuff. Plus the additional biodiversity should help things overall. Seems to be doing well for Dan