FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

So, I realized its a lot harder to observe your fish's health in a tub while only being able to look down on them. I noticed in the last couple of days, the naso tang barely has an interest in food and basically the whole fish population just lackadaisically eats and does not attack the food with gusto as usual.

When I had my 30 gallons of new saltwater ready to conduct a water change for nutrient removal purposes, I stared at the fish and started noticing that my tangs looked really thin. A closer inspection showed that they were definitely not eating as much lately and have gotten a tad thinner from it. I sat there and tried to think of why that could be... I know chloroquine phosphate does have some reports of it being an appetite suppressant. It also tastes awful to fish so perhaps they just got tired of their food soaking in the non-tasty CP tub water. The main fish population had been in the CP treatment since the middle of January... perhaps the extended duration of the treatment caused them to lose their appetite.

Either case, I thought it more prudent to stop the CP treatment at this time, especially with the known infected original population being treated for velvet for almost 1.5 months now (treatment period for velvet is 21 days in CP), I was probably safe from velvet and the more pressing concern was the lack of appetite of the fish.

I did a full water change to remove all medications in the tank, even the prophylactic prazipro treatment for intestinal worms and flukes. The goal was to remove all medications and hopefully restore the feeding responses from the fish. I also added activated carbon to assist in removing any residual medication in the tub.

I'll test their feeding response tomorrow afternoon... probably soak the food in selcon and garlic to entice them a bit. No tang can resist a nice garlic soaked sheet of nori!

As promised! Finally caught her doing her thing!

Female urchin releasing eggs:

You can see her rhythmic pulsing of her tentacles from the center of her body outwards. One male is right beside her and on occasion, you can see him release gametes as well. The other 3 urchins in my tank (just by observation, probably are male) where all in position to release gametes as well and only 1 of them did during that time.

The most interesting thing was the spawning was in response to me dosing 25 ml of hydrogen peroxide in my tank. It will less than 2 minutes after I dosed that the urchins all started responding and then releasing gametes. I'll see if this is reproducible in a couple of weeks. Give them a little time to recharge. I know that there have been similar results from injections of potassium chloride (which by coincidence I do have a 40 lb bag in the garage) or raising the temperature. I think this will be the first with hydrogen peroxide if I can reproduce it.

I used to run it in a modified TLF 150 reactor on my old 125-gallon... worked for 2 years like that.

I am currently using a giant TLF 550 reactor now, slightly repurposed as well.

Only issues with repurposing a reactor not made for biopellets is the lack of control of the output versus a recirculating model but I've run them for 3 years this way with no issue so it was not worth it for me to spend $150+ for a specific biopellet reactor.

I just use the amount of biopellets added as my control instead.

It isn't dialed in yet for amount needed for the 215 gallon but it's actually laughable the small amount in there. It's probably less than half a cup of biopellets for a total volume of 250 gallons. Biopellets are super efficient and I'd never even think of using the "recommended" amount that all manufacturers put on the side of their product.

On my old 125-gallon, I barely used a 1/4 cup of pellets.

If you go to the 1st page of my build thread, there's a video of my old 125-gallon for reference.

Man. You've got PE unlike any tank ive seen in a while. I hate you lol

Haha, you know the history of my tank... sps just love to throw out the polyps in my tanks. [emoji57]

You can tell when my SPS started getting happy... right around the holidays, there was an explosion of growth... shows you what stable parameters can do.

Nothing really changed in my system other than a couple months of good consistency and boom... growth! [emoji41]

So for the SPS lovers in the group, stop changing stuff around... just aim for consistency for a couple of months and you'll be rewarded.

Thanks bud! The oregon tort is the one I'm most proud of... they're known for being one of the slowest growing SPS in the history of the earth. Okay, maybe not that bad but they have that rep for a reason. Compared to other SPS, they grow at a snail's pace. That thing has gotten giant and if it continues this rate of growth, I couldn't imagine what it'll look like next year!

The other favorite is that mariculture. It went from a brown collection of sticks, to a prettier tree-like structure with great form... but still brown... to look at me... I'm slightly peach colored with blue-ish/purplish tips! What did it take? Time... stability... and a whole heck of a lot of par (750). Sam was right, those maricultures love their par.

Love the growth pics. Good job!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! I got lazy. I was going to highlight the original size of the coral in the final growth shot to you can visualize better the growth but then I decided I'd rather go to sleep at that point.

I remember seeing that brown one. I wasn't convinced it was Gona look cool one day like you were lol

I don't know if I was convinced it was going to pretty up. It was in the danger zone for being sold soon.