FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Geez Ty, you should also be worried that your wife might find out about your Alk testing habits. Here's why:

22 test in 37 days is about 0.60 tests per day or 219 per year. Box of 25 refills is 10 bucks so that's about $90 for a year for just your Alk testing!

• Like 4

In my defense, I usually test every 2 weeks but I've been calibrating my reactor since all my SPS are happy now and the growth rates are starting to skyrocket! I almost think I have the dosing rate set again and will be going back to weekly and biweekly testing again once it nomalizes.

• Like 1

Well, this just happened. Nothing too exciting but I guess from a parameters standpoint, that's a good thing.

apexreadings_zps0fae485e.png

Whoa, was this done in Apex Fusion?

Awesome videos of the Regal Angel by the way.

Hula Fusion was updated a little while ago so you can start keeping track of your parameters. When you log into fusion to the right of the option buttons you will see one for measurement log

More pics of the new addition:

5b3c4425f4d114d3be650986e06b5a38.jpg

98c3d2fc5c9bd2190f40b17fee2b11ab.jpg

3455772d6909a159edb4f4800e89623b.jpg

5e596a1b1c046b720f8ef33873c13d61.jpg

He was roaming the tank and getting more and more brave. He was testing the open waters and also swimming towards the front of the tank, though in limited fashion. He didn't eat any more mysis today but snacked on a couple pieces of the angel/butterfly mix frozen food I put in there. I keep calling him a "he" as I believe I have a male. They supposedly have longer spines coming from the bottom of their operculums. No signs of diseases yet and he looks like he's been soliciting the cleaner shrimp for a good cleaning now and then.

I've been interested in pursuing some food options at the MT supermarket (Asian market) after seeing freezers and fridges full of various sea creatures of all origins. Frozen sea cucumbers, gobies, eels, snails, crabs, fish, octopus, and squids to name a few.

I've been researching masago (capelin eggs) used for sushi. They had a pound of masago for $9 at the MT supermarket and I couldn't pass that up.

bc298be41c74caf1988b42e48968c1a6.jpg

It has sugar, food coloring, salt, sorbitol (sugar alcohol), and msg (monosodium glutamate). I went ahead and soaked it 3 times to remove most of the sugar, salt, and food coloring.

9956363a98eadd2dde91136d3ef56b13.jpg

Look at that food coloring running off!

2a3624824d325a1a803833b9660e61c2.jpg

Now this is the real color of the eggs... not that crazy neon orange stuff we eat on our sushi!

af5d2055aef454e7f31fb163941e56ce.jpg

It was gladly accepted by most of the fish and a couple didn't take it and were generally confused by it. I put some in the main tank for the regal but couldn't see if he ate any.

Anyway, thought I would share how you could buy 1 lb of fish eggs for under $10. Good ole' Asian markets!

Geez Ty, you should also be worried that your wife might find out about your Alk testing habits. Here's why:

22 test in 37 days is about 0.60 tests per day or 219 per year. Box of 25 refills is 10 bucks so that's about $90 for a year for just your Alk testing!

Man, I'm hitting the bottle again. Not to mention the syringes... I officially have a problem! [emoji482] [emoji382]

12ef6dd46cb9fc3ed5fdc15a5db14d48.jpg

• Like 2

Ty,

I think your doing wonderful checking alk that often. I check mine weekly to 3 times a week. Since our tanks are a constantly changing system to maintain a stable alk means we should need to constantly increase our dosing slowly but surely. If your tank isn't consuming more alk consistently I would say your corals are probably not growing much.

The regal angel is awesome :)

• Like 1

Ty,

I think your doing wonderful checking alk that often. I check mine weekly to 3 times a week. Since our tanks are a constantly changing system to maintain a stable alk means we should need to constantly increase our dosing slowly but surely. If your tank isn't consuming more alk consistently I would say your corals are probably not growing much.

The regal angel is awesome :)

Thanks bud. I hope to get back to my every 2 weeks testing regiment on alk. My old tank was on cruise control and I only had to check the alk monthly. It always stayed roughly the same because all of my corals stayed at the same growth rates and I only had to tweak once a month to catch up with the greater coral mass associated with the growth.

I sure hope the regal angelfish makes it. He sure is pretty... until he eats all my clams and my zoas/lps. But at least I'll think he's pretty for a little bit before that happens.

• Like 1

Well, I knew I was taking a gamble putting the regal angelfish in the tank directly. The hope was it would have a higher survivibility going into an established tank with stuff on the rocks to eat versus a QT with nothing but bare rocks and plumbing parts. The toughest part is getting them to eat.

Well, I have that part down as he was accepting mysis and brine shrimp for now. The problem now is he went into a fallow tank but he brought ich with him.

I went ahead and caught him out of the display tank, which was much easier to do than I thought. I put him in the QT tub I have all the other fish in and will separate a section out just for him with eggcrate so that he can eat in peace and not have to worry about tank mate aggressions.

At least I have the harder part taken care of with the accepting of food but he's not in the clear yet. I'll have to get him over the Ich hurdle next!

I'm not so worried about it being fallow with just ich in there. I haven't decided yet on the fallow or not decision yet.

The mandarins are still on hold. I'm going to wait for some bigger ones to come through... the last batch were smaller than I wanted.