FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Oddly enough, I was expecting to report that my phosphate stayed at 0.03 ppm over the 24 hrs after dosing but it did not. We're dealing with such small concentrations here that even read error of about +/- 0.04 ppm for the hanna meter kind of makes it all a moot point but I am starting to feel like the combination of biopellets, large ball of chaeto in the sump, and my red turf algae on the live rock sucks up my phosphates quicker than feeding and dosing PO4 can actually put in. Luckily my NO3 did stay at 4ppm.

I'm going to trim some chaeto back and order some limpets/large chitons from reefcleaners.com to keep the turf algae maintained and see how that affects my PO4 levels.

Sent via Tapatalk

All my SPS are looking better even after just 2 days of dosing and increasing both nitrates and phosphates. The STN on some corals has stopped and even some, like the small red planet frag, has already started to encrust. I'll keep dosing phosphates until I can hope to maintain it naturally by reducing my macro algae in the tank. I've reduced my biopellets more than I want to from this point as I fear the nitrates will come roaring back if I do anymore.

Sent via Tapatalk

I was really hoping that you had figured out the phosphate dosing. I have dosed 3 times now over 3 weeks and have yet to register an increase off of 0. I'm just running carbon 1/2 cup GAC and skimming. No biopellets, no GFO.

I was speaking to another member on the phone and he thinks that I am possibly getting some precipitation since I'm running really high levels and that maybe it's precipitating the P04 with it. I occasionally do get some precipitate. I'm at 11 ALK, 500 CA, 1400 MG, 15 NO3.

I think that after a while running 0 on the PO4 that the corals, macros and ever rock and coralline just soak it up because they have more or less been starved of it. But like you I'm leary of just continuing dosing.

Do you not even get a rise in PO4 after you dose? Mine at least registers an hour after I dose but then is gone in 24hrs. Again, take it with a grain of salt with the +/- 0.04 read error on the phosphorus hanna meter.

Sent via Tapatalk

I get a rise but between 1 and 24 hours later it's gone. I routinely read my test sample 10 times over 30 minutes while I'm running other tests. Generally if it's trace amount I will get some reading at some point not 0 for all 10. I have checked my meter and reagents against other meters and water and got the same/similar readings.

I do technically have a fuge. Compartment 1 of the AIO has some cheato, some turf algae, some hair algae and some hayi in it. It is on a reverse lighting schedule from the main tank. It is on a long photo period too (14 hours) It does grow but I suspect that the growth is phosphate limited. I can't notice an increase in the growth since I have started dosing but I didn't take any reference pictures either.

No algae in the DT to speak of.

Reburn, you be the guinea pig this time and pull your refugium and see what happens to your nutrients. I'll watch, observe, and take notes!

Bpb, remind me what nutrient removal processes you employ again?

Sent via Tapatalk

Lots of rock and flow, skimmer, rox 0.8 carbon in a reactor, decent sized refugium with chaeto, halimeda, grape caulerpa, and less desirably a bit or cladophora in the display

• 3 weeks later...

For sure the picture! They are a nice neon orange.

I showed my wife the video and she just about cringed... told me it was too cheesy and I'd creep people out on the forum. I told her awful music with my videos are my MO on the club.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 3

I nominate it for an Oscar!

For sure the picture! They are a nice neon orange.

I showed my wife the video and she just about cringed... told me it was too cheesy and I'd creep people out on the forum. I told her awful music with my videos are my MO on the club.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 1