FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

How long has this system been running, all together? I'm assuming you went from a biocube (right?) to your previous tank, then transferred everything into this tank?

Jeez, you asking for my tank history Kim? Or just how long my current one has been up?

For tank history, see below:

2003 - 12-gallon nanocube

2009 - 65-gallon show tank

2010 - 125-gallon long tank

2014 - 215-gallon show tank

I've had one piece of coral make the entire journey (blue spotted mushrooms) until the latest tank. They were officially booted from the latest tank as it has been officially designated a no mushroom zone. I have almost all the rock from each iteration except maybe some pieces here or there that didn't make the cut. i've always pulled water from the old tank to the next and as much clean-up crew/critters that I could find at each tank swap so dare I say... I may have some existing bacterial cultures and clean-up crew progeny from the original nanocube back in 2003.

• Like 1

Jeez, you asking for my tank history Kim? Or just how long my current one has been up?

I've had one piece of coral make the entire journey (blue spotted mushrooms) until the latest tank. They were officially booted from the latest tank as it has been officially designated a no mushroom zone. I have almost all the rock from each iteration except maybe some pieces here or there that didn't make the cut. i've always pulled water from the old tank to the next and as much clean-up crew/critters that I could find at each tank swap so dare I say... I may have some existing bacterial cultures and clean-up crew progeny from the original nanocube back in 2013.

You mean 2003?

i feel like i just walked into some shady techno club in munich, and your urchin is the DJ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine how awesome he'd be at spinning with all those tubed feet of his.

Sent via Tapatalk

I've had one piece of coral make the entire journey (blue spotted mushrooms) until the latest tank. They were officially booted from the latest tank as it has been officially designated a no mushroom zone. I have almost all the rock from each iteration except maybe some pieces here or there that didn't make the cut. i've always pulled water from the old tank to the next and as much clean-up crew/critters that I could find at each tank swap so dare I say... I may have some existing bacterial cultures and clean-up crew progeny from the original nanocube back in 2013.

You mean 2003?

I think my urchin is on fire...

Be forewarned, if you are looking to relax, this isn't the video for it. It'll make you pump your fist in the air and want to party all weekend!

Looks like the urchin is trying to get into the mix for getting his groove on...

So far:

-breeding clownfish

-breeding mandarins

-breeding mini brittle stars

-pod city in my tank

-and the solo act from my urchin

Ty, is that the PC rainbow frag glued there in the video? Wife really like the background music lol.

Be forewarned, if you are looking to relax, this isn't the video for it. It'll make you pump your fist in the air and want to party all weekend!

Looks like the urchin is trying to get into the mix for getting his groove on...

So far:

-breeding clownfish

-breeding mandarins

-pod city in my tank

**naughty joke deleted before I get in trouble again**. My snails do that all the time I've also noticed, as well as my rock flower anemone.

Is that an sps frag glued to the back glass?

Hawkins looks like it's getting some good color back. Do you find it ever has much PE?

Edited by Bpb

So far:

-breeding clownfish

-breeding mandarins

-pod city in my tank

Ty, is that the PC rainbow frag glued there in the video? Wife really like the background music lol.

You better believe it! I gave it the front and center spot! Your wife has great taste in music. Lol.

Sent via Tapatalk

So far:

-breeding clownfish

-breeding mandarins

-pod city in my tank

**naughty joke deleted before I get in trouble again**. My snails do that all the time I've also noticed, as well as my rock flower anemone.

Is that an sps frag glued to the back glass?

Hawkins looks like it's getting some good color back. Do you find it ever has much PE?

No, odd thing is the YouTube auto correct for image quality blacked out the background and only the tip of the purple stylo made it into the image so it's just strangely floating back there by itself.

I have a gazillion giant pieces of echinata after I fragged it last. The bleached piece was a different one not shown. The echinata actually stayed amazingly colored through the whole upgrade debacle. I tend to get some polyp extension during the day but nothing to write home about. At night though, it's crazy long... like somewhere in between a regular polyp extended and a super long mille polyp. It surprised me the first time I saw it.

Sent via Tapatalk

The other urchin hates being upstaged so he did this...

upe3ypas.jpg

Gotta give him kudos for effort even though execution may have fell a little short. I think I may have ordered a dish very similar to this once at Uchikos.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, not much to update other than everything is still happy and encrusting nicely. Too nicely actually as I now realize there is no way my CaRX will ever keep up with this new tank so I'm in the market for the new CaRX. Anybody have a giant CaRX sitting in their garage, collecting dust, just let me know. Hint hint... Ol' Aggie. Even maxed out, I'm losing about 0.3 dKh/day so I have been having to supplement my CaRX with some 2-part to keep up with the tank's demand. This is going to get old real quick. Would just run kalk for now but don't want to implement a new system and add another variable for me to monitor... really another way for me to nuke my tank. So, I'll hand dose what can't be made up by the CaRX by itself and then wait for the perfect upgrade in time. Chopping up that massive purple stylo colony and selling it off is looking like a better and better idea, each day. I could easily imagine getting rid of that thing would help me lower my alk demand big time! It's the size of a volleyball!

I managed to glue some frags up on the rocks but there are still plenty more to find a home for. I'm adding some rock from my sump to the DT so that I can have even more space to glue frags. Once I get them all off the sand, I'll run a couple of pictures and videos on this thread so you don't all have to read and can look at pretty pictures instead. I know, what a chore... reading...

I got a TLF 550 reactor with a recent swap with another member and am now running 1000ml of biopellets instead of just running 500ml. Overkill I'm sure but so far I have seen no side effects of it. Swapped out my GFO for some fresh stuff and my carbon as well. Everything is pretty much is automatic mode now which is great because work has been so busy for me.

I don't know if I mentioned before but 2-3 weeks ago, I took all my SPS out and dipped them in Bayer since they were all unmounted and easily removed for dipping. I have gotten so many new frags, which I always dip before adding to the tank, but the paranoid part of my personality got the better of me and I dipped all pieces again for peace of mind. I even used a triple dipping system, where I dipped in bayer, and then used two different rinsing buckets (which were routinely refreshed) and even after all that, some traces got back in the tank and killed off a bunch of pods. I mean a ton! As usual though, nothing else was even effected in the tank, not even the spawning clownfish as they laid another clutch a few days after. Even now, all the pods are back... so maybe they all just went into hiding for a bit and then came back out once it was all removed via the carbon.

Anyways, I'm starting to rattle on. Basic summary, refreshed all media, glued up some frags with many more to glue, dipped all SPS again out of paranoia, CaRX is not keeping up anymore so I have to manually hand dose to keep up, and otherwise, everything is happy and encrusting at a very quick pace.

If you are talking about the reactor in that giant tank at the front, then it's too small. I saw that one the other week. Thanks for the heads up my 215 gallon tank brother-from-another-mother.

Sent via Tapatalk