Epic flooding

jestep

We finally got some pictures of our golf course on onion creek. The river rose 40ft which is the all time record. About half the year it's so small you can jump across it in many places.

These pictures aren't from the exact same spot but pretty close. The original one would be about 30ft under water.

Before:

onion-creek-3.jpg

After:

onion-creek-3-flooded.jpg

From a little further back, same hole though. There's a green right near the bottom of this picture, 20 - 30 ft underwater.

onion-creek-3-flooded-2.jpg

This flood is catastrophic to some but did nothing to others. I have a house on the east side of Kyle that flooded. Highest the water has ever been since 1986. We may end up eventually loosing the house .... It has structural integrity problems (pier and beam house - that was a floating island getaway for while) and have to wait on insurance company to send an engineer - as soon as they can. But truthfully who knows when that will be. The bridge near our house still has water over it....

Nicole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This flood is catastrophic to some but did nothing to others. I have a house on the east side of Kyle that flooded. Highest the water has ever been since 1986. We may end up eventually loosing the house .... It has structural integrity problems (pier and beam house - that was a floating island getaway for while) and have to wait on insurance company to send an engineer - as soon as they can. But truthfully who knows when that will be. The bridge near our house still has water over it....NicoleSent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh no. Sorry for your...everything

NOOOOOOO. I'm assuming that your family is ok, but to keep things reef topical, how did your tanks fare ?

S'ok, it's in the off topic section. Doesn't have to be reefy.

We actually currently do not live there so that is good. However we do have renters who did so that is a whole different ball game.

Every fence on our property is pretty much gone - and not covered by insurance, our asphalt driveway also. They also do not cover anything outside of the four house walls-- so were just screwed on all of that. It's overwhelming to think about. We also had a foot of water in our barn which is also not covered - learning a lot about fine print!! The insurance covers 16 sq feet of decking...

Seriously debating tearing the house down -it's our first house so this is very emotional. The renters were planning on purchasing next year - and are now bankrupt and running .... They ran a wedding business and stored everything on covered carport and it washed away. So they are a wreck also.

On another note the Tank looks great - slightly hard to see due to the light getting left on during all this and the algae growing up on glass but the sea hare made a pass by so I came see some...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We moved out two years ago due to my father in law having Ahlzheimers and needing a caretaker -- been a rough two years!

I'm just thankful we are all ok - and no lives were lost! Although one of our renters did nearly drown trying to get from barn back to house during the storm, to rescue his dog he left in the house. And all the livestock on the property is still there albeit on a tiny portion of the 30 acres but all alive and well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What there is another reefer in Onion Creek? Wish I'd would have known sooner.

Here are some pictures from the golf course three weeks ago after the first flood.

We were out there Sunday before the second flood as well. I've never seen the river as high as Sunday. I would bet that once the water resides, #4, #5, #6, and #7 on the Original are going to be a complete loss. The greens on #5 and #6 were already almost completely totaled. Add that to #3 on the North and probably #16 North.

We actually currently do not live there so that is good. However we do have renters who did so that is a whole different ball game.

Every fence on our property is pretty much gone - and not covered by insurance, our asphalt driveway also. They also do not cover anything outside of the four house walls-- so were just screwed on all of that. It's overwhelming to think about. We also had a foot of water in our barn which is also not covered - learning a lot about fine print!! The insurance covers 16 sq feet of decking...

Seriously debating tearing the house down -it's our first house so this is very emotional. The renters were planning on purchasing next year - and are now bankrupt and running .... They ran a wedding business and stored everything on covered carport and it washed away. So they are a wreck also.

That's terrible. I'm assuming they didn't have or their insurance didn't cover their belongings.

I heard the water went up so fast that most people barely got out of their houses, some got stuck in attics and on their roofs.

The friend of ours whose house flooded (Bonnie) has been told that all of the debris on her property must be bagged and moved to the curb by this Friday. For anyone interested in helping out tomorrow, please put on your work clothes, work gloves, and boots and meet at her house @ 4:30pm Weds to pitch in. Heavy-duty trash bags, shovels, and water for workers are all needed. The address is 11238 Pinehurst, Austin, it's the Onion Creek subdivision. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I played onion creek a few times this summer. Was curious if it was going to hold up...

Right now course is still closed. They are trying to get North front 9 open. Original front 9 is mostly destroyed, 1 year+ repair on that one. North back 9 is less damaged but a long way from reopening.

They estimated more than $5M in damage to the course and they lost more than $1M in equipment like tractors and such.

• 1 month later...

My brother went last weekend and shot this picture:

2014-01-04_15-40-29_740%20(Custom).jpg

Well over 40 feed off the current river level. There were also several trees with bicycles and debris that are going to be nearly impossible to remove.

Not to downplay the severity of the flood, but I'm amazed there wasn't more damage to the neighborhood considering how crazy an amount of water this was. Only 15 houses were considered completely destroyed, but still more than 250 were severely damaged.

Hopefully people are getting their lives back together, although I'm sure that bridge is going to be out of commission for a long time.

Archived